Rusty Start

Snowshoes

A bit of a rusty start to my 2019-2020 coyote season. I’m not sure if it was due to an 8 month absence from coyote hunting or the years of grey hair catching up to me.

The morning coyote hunt started off the same as any other, with me walking to my intended destination at first light. After getting set up I glance at my watch and see I have 15 minutes before legal shooting light. I take the opportunity to take in the sights and sounds that nature had to offer. Some glassing of the fields between sight seeing passed the time away and the next look at my watch showed I had somewhat lost track of time. It was now definitely time to get things rolling.

Glass the fields again and this time I see my first coyote, a single at the edge of a slough 500 yards to the north of me. With some new sounds downloaded onto my e-caller, I’m excited to try them out.
Start off with a short burst of “new” rabbit distress and within a half minute after muting the caller, I notice a different coyote directly west of me. The coyote keeps looking back at the bush behind it and I fully expect another coyote to show. Sure enough a second shows but they seem content to sit down and evaluate the situation. I switch to vole squeaks but they still don’t budge. With the sun directly in their eyes, they seem reluctant to come any closer. After ranging the closet coyote at 307 yards, I adjust the reticle for 300 yards. A quick glance around before committing to the shot, reveals another pair of coyotes on steady trot from the north. These last two look to be locked onto the vole squeaks and I wait till they are hid behind a knoll before repositioning myself. Knowing when they reappear, they should be close. When the lead coyote shows, I see it’s cutting somewhat to the east to get downwind. A howl on my part stops the coyote in it’s tracks and with crosshairs placed on its chest, I pull the trigger. The bullet is sent harmlessly on it’s way and I’m not sure who is more confused by what just happened. The coyote slowly lopes away as it keeps glancing back my direction. I then realize I never turned the reticle back down for this 70 yard target. Some self scolding is rightfully administered as I reset my scope for a 200 yard zero.
A little frustrated with myself, I fight off the urge to pack up and leave. Knowing there likely could be more coyotes working their way from the vast fields to the bedding grounds in the bushes near me, I hold tight.

Fifteen minutes pass and I see a coyote crossing the slough ice to the north. I fire up the caller again with rabbit distress which instantly gets the coyotes attention. The coyote stops briefly, then kicks it into high gear and is on the run. I love watching a totally committed coyote coming hard across the field and this one didn’t disappoint. Like the last pair, it takes the same route and I’m ready this time (Or so I thought!).
Getting this coyote to stop was a challenge and when it finally does, I rush a 90 yard shot and once again miss.

After missing two nice looking well furred coyotes, I don’t even hesitate to pack up. I did however notice getting up after sitting for an extended period, took more effort than in years past
smile.gif

I hadn’t walked 60 yards before glancing back only to see another single coming across the field. This scruffy looking character stopped every 50 yards or so to scratch and give a shake. The sun was still working in my favor I guess as I managed to set up without alerting the coyote. A quick range shows 199 yards and this time when the trigger is pulled, the bullet flies true, putting this poor guy out of its misery. Walked over and took a field picture and then on the walk back to the truck, I realized those first two shots were no longer the primary thing bouncing around in the ole noggin. Nothing like a positive ending to forget those earlier events!

Last edited:
Haha I love the honesty but still nice to see all the animals on the move. Missed my first of the year too. Found the rifle was 4in off to the left. Enough I guess to clean miss a marginally shaky frontal shot.

I’ve been checking in hoping to catch the start of your season. Really enjoy the posts. Safe hunting this winter.

All these variables to contend with, I guess if we connected on every shot, that would be just plain crazy
smile.gif

Thank you, D.N. and I hope to add a few successful hunts over the next few months.

SS

Snowshoes, good to see you back posting. It is that time of year. I always look forward to your posts. I started the season off kind of slow also.

I was up closer to your neck of the woods two week ago. I am from Eastern Montana, about 16 miles south of the Saskatchewan and was home for a week of calling before the horde of deer hunters were turned loose. Opening morning went a half mile up the coulee next to the house to get as far up it as I could so nothing would come in behind me. Thought I should take my shotgun but didn't want to lug it along. Set up facing the wind with three coulees coming to a head right where I was. I sat back in the brush and was only worried if one came in from my left because I was sitting next to a piece of sagebrush and I could just see over the top of it but couldn't shoot through it. Cut loose with the Critt'r call and after the magical 7 minute mark see a big coyote coming down the coulee to my left. They always come from the last place you want them to come from. I scooted up so I could shoot around the sagebrush and could see his ears coming through the grass. His head popped up looking right at me at 20 yards and I had the crosshairs right on face. Then I thought to myself, "don't shoot him in the head. It will make a mess when you have to skin him". I thought he would take a step up and I would just shoot him in the chest. Well, the best laid plans. . . Remember I had thought of taking the shotgun. He bolted and kept below me and out of sight until he got up the coulee. As he ran across the skyline he was one of the biggest coyotes I have ever seen.

Next stand I was calling a big open coulee that led from the river back into the badlands. It is about a mile and a half long. The opposite ridgeline was about 250 yards away. Again after the magical 7 minute mark I have a coyote yapping at me over the ridgeline. I get my binocs up and I can't find him, but man is he giving me the dickens. I keep looking for him and then I see a coyote sitting in the grass at 261 yards just staring at me. He is directly in line with the one yapping at me, but he isn't making the noise. After a while I figure he isn't going to move so I try to steady myself on my sticks and take the shot. Swing and a miss. Two days later went up that same coulee a little farther. It was pretty open, but there were a couple of big rocks on the hillside so I set up next to them. Put the caller 20 yards in front of me and went back to sit down. Put my camouflage mask on and got the rangefinder out and took readings on the ridges around me. The ridge across from me was 160 yards. Put the rangefinder away and looked back at the ridge and there was a coyote standing on it looking right at me and I hadn't even turned the caller on. Got the binocs up and he was standing there looking up and down the coulee and hadn't seen me sitting like a bump on a log across from him next to the couple of big rocks I was sitting next to. I had to reach down and grab my gun and sticks and set them up and he still didn't see me. Got him lined up and was considering taking the shot when he trots toward me down the hill about ten yards and turns broadside at 150 yards and lifts his back leg to scratch behind his ear. I touch one off. Swing and miss. Strike two. Now, I had dropped my gun and banged it up badly the day before and thought the scope could have gotten bump out of alignment. However, this is a Weaver V9 that I bought back in '69 when I went to college. You know, back when a dime was dime and a nickel was a nickel and scopes were made out of steel. This scope has fine crosshairs and a one minute dot and has been on just about every rifle I have ever owned at one time or another. It is a great calling scope and has been beat up it its time and has never wavered. But I thought I had better check. Set up a target at 150 yards and bingo I was right on the button. So much for scope problems. However, later in the day I shot two singles that were both at about 145 yards so I knew the system was ok and it was only me. Two days later because of the wind I called a coulee that was east of that coulee about a mile. I used a hand call, the Primos Catnip. I had blown it for about 20 seconds and look off to my right and there are two coyotes standing on the hill about 300 yards out looking at me. I swing my sticks around and give them a short blast on the call and here they come like lasers. I had turned my scope up to 9 power in case I had to take a shot at them on the hill. I was going to bark the lead one to a stop and take the first shot offered. He had stopped about 100 yards in front of me between a couple of pieces of sagebrush and I was just pulling the trigger when he ran straight at me. He was coming so fast I couldn't keep him in the scope and I kept barking trying to get him to stop. He ran right by me at 25 yards and I couldn't get a decent shot. Strike three, caught looking.

I did redeem myself the next morning by shooting a triple. Hopefully, all the rust is gone. Skinned 6 coyotes and they were all blue. Will be up there again in three weeks not very far from you. Will be hunting just south of the border north of Shelby. Have a rancher friend that has too many coyotes and could use some help.

A great read Z
thumbup.gif
We think we would get this coyote hunting thing figured out eventually but that's likely to never happen
smile.gif

In 2016 I hunted coyotes in eastern Montana with a friend from Minnesota. We hunted in the Opheim area. A very nice area!

Good luck to you while hunting that Shelby area!

Cheers
SS

What are you shooting that you have to adjust your scope out to 307 yds. Any rifle will some speed will shoot 50 to 300 yds with no hold over.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGet the rust gone on first couple of hunts then its all back to memory. Congrats
That's what I'm hopeful for
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 1lessdogWhat are you shooting that you have to adjust your scope out to 307 yds. Any rifle will some speed will shoot 50 to 300 yds with no hold over.
I appreciate the question 1lessdog. I do have my big game rifles sighted where no hold over is required out to 300 yards.
Roughly 35 years ago, I had my varmint rifle sighted the same however I found too many shots at 100- 150 yards were hitting the spine area and making a real mess with the pelts ( or shooting right over). With the majority of my shots in the 100-150 range, I changed my “zero” to a 200 yard sight in (+1.5” @ 100 yards) which really improved those vital area hits for the yardages mentioned.
My 223 shooting 52 gr. Bergers is sighted this way and basically it’s a case of the crosshairs on the coyotes chest out to 230 yards with no hold over.
My 223AI shooting 64 gr Bergers is sighted for a 200 yard zero also but at 300 yards that bullet has dropped 6.8 inches which is a miss on most of our Alberta sized coyotes. The Nightforce scope on this rifle’s “Zero Stop” is set for a 200 yard zero. Using my yardage chart which I have attached to my rangefinder binoculars, I know how many inches I have to raise the reticle for any given yardages past 200. ( my chart is in 25 yard increments out to 500 yards).
For closer range shooting, I prefer the simple “no man thinking” set up that I have on the 223 but for those dogs that like to sit in the hills and watch from afar….. that’s where the set up for my 223AI shines.
I hope this helps with your question
smile.gif

SS

Last edited:
Back