Experiences with the Honda MUV side by sides?

obaro

Looking at getting a side by side for farm and ranch use and would like to get some real world experiences and opinions on the Honda MUV/Big Red utv's. What's the good, bad, and ugly on them?

I have friends with both Honda and Polaris and I spend a fair amount of time in both.
I prefer the Honda automatic beltless transmission.
Having owned both makes I like the polaris but think the Honda is a little more refined.

Does Honda still make the MUV? I thought that they were discontinued and replaced by the Pioneer maybe 5 years ago.
I know you didn't ask, but if you're looking for a pure workhorse for farm use the Kawasaki 4010 Mule is hard to beat.
It is a real utility vehicle made for work, not the best choice for sport riding though.

I'm looking at the used market right now, thus the MUV. Thanks for the heads up on the Kawasaki. I have been around and used several Polaris Rangers working for other people, and they are nice, but don't seem to have quite as good a reputation for reliability and they are a fair amount $higher$ on the used market. Also, they go down the road the faster and my kids don't have much experience with UTV's. They will be driving it some helping me with livestock chores.

I have a 4010 Mule. I bought it new in 2012. It has been absolutely trouble free.
They are different than the sport model UTV's.

Here is my opinion based on my experience;
It doesn't have an independent suspension so it rides rougher than a sport model, and it doesn't have as much ground clearance. Those are the only negatives over a sport UTV.
The pluses;
It has a very nice solid steel flat floor with a bench seat so you can get in from either side.
It has a very heavy duty solid steel dump bed that is quite a bit larger than a lot of other UTV's.
It is fuel injected with power steering.
It is governed to 25 mph, much safer for kids.
It has a DOT approved rollbar.
It will haul 800 lbs and tow 1200.
It has proven reliability, lots of them around with 1000's of hard hours on them.

Back