Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3204447 - 05/25/19 09:24 AM Re: How far do deer run after being shot with an arrow?? [Re: Yote Newb]
Tim Neitzke Offline

Loc: Michigan
A truly spine shot deer will never get up and run away.

#3204493 - 05/25/19 08:43 PM Re: How far do deer run after being shot with an arrow?? [Re: Tim Neitzke]
Dultimatpredator Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke
A truly spine shot deer will never get up and run away.

Wanna bet, I hate to admit but Iíve shot several in years past and have recovered two different deer dead in my fields a month later with the arrow lodged in between the vertebrae's of their backbones. There was enough power to knock them off their feet but both deer recovered and walked away. I can remember the one buck laying on the ground having spasms and shaking fit about 2 minutes. It then walk back-and-forth three times rolling over to its stomach, got up to its feet and walked away. If I knew it was going to do that I wouldíve put another arrow threw it. I have back boned a good half dozen that dropped and never got back up. It just depends if you hit the deer between it vertebrae and cut the spinal cord paralyzing it...or if you hit it directly on a vertebra and not completely penetrating or braking it.

This was with a Horton crossbow shooting 310 FPS.

Edited by Dultimatpredator (05/25/19 08:51 PM)

#3204515 - 05/26/19 02:00 AM Re: How far do deer run after being shot with an arrow?? [Re: Yote Newb]
Tim Neitzke Offline

Loc: Michigan
What I should have said, hit solid to do spinal cord damage.
That said any deer not hit in the vitals needs a follow up shot quick.

To many people watch the deer flop and roll around , thinking its a done deal.

#3204518 - 05/26/19 07:17 AM Re: How far do deer run after being shot with an arrow?? [Re: Yote Newb]
Dultimatpredator Offline
Die Hard Member III

I still have an ulcer thinking about a good half a dozen that did this and forgot back up. I now own a 400 FPS model with more knock down power and flatter shooting so It zero to 35 yards. The slower, back boner was zeroed at 35 yards so it hit about 3.5Ē high, at close range causing the high shots. I was also using light, aluminum bolt at the time causing lack of penetration vs Kevlar bolts now.

#3213569 - 09/29/19 04:03 PM Re: How far do deer run after being shot with an arrow?? [Re: Dultimatpredator]
22 Chuck Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Montmorency Co, MI
Gut shot and they will still be going tomorrow..
The few Ive killed were down in less than 50-60 yrds. First went about 35 yd.

#3217292 - 11/04/19 09:42 PM Re: How far do deer run after being shot with an arrow?? [Re: 22 Chuck]
parson Online
Seasoned Member

Loc: North Dakota
Once read a biologists report that said a running deer full of adrenaline has enough oxygen in its bold stream to last 20 seconds even with its heart blown out, a running deer can cover a lot of ground in 20 seconds

#3217741 - 11/09/19 09:46 PM Re: How far do deer run after being shot with an arrow?? [Re: Yote Newb]
Dultimatpredator Offline
Die Hard Member III

Depends on if the deer knows I got shot or not to. Iíve shot many with Rocky Mountain gator 100s that Iíve gone 30 to 40 yards on average in three or four big leaps and tipped over dead. I dropped some on the spot with that broadhead hitting back bones... I even dropped one on the spot without hitting any back bone. They stopped making them in a chisel tip and went to a cut on contact tip which didnít penetrate and would bent over and brake off if it hit bone . I switch broadheads after this change...before they went out of business. I havenít found one yet as good. They would make 4 inch entry and exit holes like somebody stabbed them with a machete. Iím going to try hypodermic rages this year. A lot of my friends shoot them and say 40 to 60 yards is not uncommon with a double lung shot. I have shot a lot of deer that Iíve gone a lot further just depends on if they knew what happened and how much trauma your Brodhead you picked out made. I hit one in the liver last year. My arrow was solid red. I watch the deer run away all the way to the base of my property and then run back up to the top of the hill making about a good 150 yard Circle. It then stood there for five minutes and then made three or four big giant leaps to the other side of my property and then disappeared out of sight. I got out to look for blood five minutes after I last saw last it to see what happened. The only place there was blood is where it stood for five minutes. I then went to where I saw it last and followed the deer trail I guessed it followed and I got lucky and found the 10 pointer about 60 yards straight in front of me. That deer made it over 250 yards and dropped dead in 15 minutes. I got very very lucky. With Liver shots deer will go far but normally even a broadside liver shot Iíve opened them up with the right broad head and have tremendous blood trails. That was with a nap Sling Blade. I got rid of them needless to say. They never expanded on the way in through the Hyde or or way out and made a bullet sized hole in the entry and exit causing the deer to bleed internally. Those gator 100s if I did it right Iíd have a 3 to 6 foot wide blood trail a blind man could follow. Iím hoping the hypodermicís do the same sounds like it the way my buddied brag them up. I tried the original rages when they first came out it didnít know you werenít supposed to line the blades up with the slots in the peddles. There were no directions at the time telling to do in elsewise. I posted some pictures on this forum years ago of the heart of one of two deer I shot back to back. Both deer went about 40 yards stopped and dropped one actually tripped over the other one and fell 10 yards in front of it. Stone dead and neither of the broadheads opened!

Edited by Dultimatpredator (11/09/19 09:57 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.