Just picked up Ruger M77 chambered in 7x57 Mauser.

arlaunch

My manuals say that IMR 4350 is a good choice. Likely i will start with that, and 140 grain Nosler E-Tips, Partitions, Ballistic Tips or Accubonds?

At this point i am thinking of switching to copper only for hunting meat that i plan on eating.

My question is this???

What primer do you you folks recommend for IMR 4350 in this type of cartridge. I am thinking of starting with CCi 200's.

Any other tips or tricks for this rifle will be appreciated.

I'm sure you meant 4350, and 200's should be as good as any to start. I like the Barnes tsx or ttsx for deer, and you could drop to 120 class bullets. Although I load good old cheap Hdy 139 sp for my in-laws 7mm-08's and they drop deer as good as anything. They never stretch the range out at all though. I've had good luck recently with Hdy GMX shooting well when I can find them cheaply at the factory. Haven't shot any game with them though.

I've had several M77's, and I never met one that didn't need bedded. That's where I'd start, free float the barrel and glass bed the action and first couple inches of barrel. The middle screw should be just barely snug. Great robust and good looking rifles, and usually good shooting also IME.

A standard large rifle primer is the ticket for IMR-4350 and the 7x57. I used the 139 gr. Hornady Interlock on several deer with perfect results from my 7x57 back in the day.

Originally Posted By: GCA standard large rifle primer is the ticket for IMR-4350 and the 7x57. I used the 139 gr. Hornady Interlock on several deer with perfect results from my 7x57 back in the day.

This is pretty much the identical load I shot in mine. I used CCI 200 primers IIRC. Shot very well! Its a great caliber.

Back