Best suppressible chambering for all-around game?

NativeCraft

I'm looking to build a suppressible carbine AR for riding around with on my ATV out at the farm. This would not be my primary deer hunting rifle, but more something for coyote, groundhog, beaver, or whatever varmint I come across that needs dispatching. I would like the capability to use it on deer if the opportunity presents itself, though.
I'm thinking that leaves me with .300 Blackout, though that seems way heavy for anything other than deer.
Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
6.8 spc and 6.5 Grendel make up the top of my list for a general purpose rifle. No need for subsonics, just enjoy the reduced report.

are you looking for something subsonic? or just suppressable? because just about *anything* is suppressable.

the grendel might be a good choice for you. give you a little extra range over the blk for a critter out past 150 yds or so, and still enough gusto to knock down a deer.

since you reload, 6x45 could be a reasonable option too - easy to convert brass, good projectile choices for critters and deer, etc.

What these guys said^^. All better options than the blk imo. And there's a lot more than that if you reload. And there's the 3 heavies also, 450 bushmaster probably is the leader there.

6.8 SPC over 300 BO due to higher energy available from its larger case.(I have both)
If AR-10 is in the running, then 308 or 243.

Is the .223 a little too plain? Unless the deer are pretty big, seems to me that the 223 could do fine for you, especially with a premium bullet. That said the Grendel is a personal favorite of mine for what you describe.

Is the .223 suppressible enough to fire without hearing protection on occasion? I just don't want to blow my eardrums out if I have to take a quick shot with a carbine length barrel.
I've already done enough damage over the years.

Last edited:
Just my experience,no science behind it, but my 223 carbine is still fairly loud yet is 'tolerable' suppressed. I haven't shot my grendel suppressed yet, but I do know that side by side my 223 has a lot sharper report than the grendel when they are both unsuppressed.

I run 6.8 16" and 12.5", grendel 20" and 223 18" and 16" all suppressed. Still a loud pop but not ear ringing loud to me and can hunt without hearing protection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NativeCraftIs the .223 suppressible enough to fire without hearing protection on occasion? I just don't want to blow my eardrums out if I have to take a quick shot with a carbine length barrel.
I've already done enough damage over the years.

i hear ya on protecting your ears.... tinnitus sucks.

223's suppressed are a joy to shoot. ive run my 16" and 20" barrels suppressed so far, but have yet to hook it to my 12" upper on the pistol. I'm using a 30 cal form1 can on mine, and my buddy has a a sico 46 hybrid that hes running the ASR mount on so he can run it on everything from his 450 bushmaster downward. likewise his 16" 223 is fantastic with it on.

would i want to shoot ALL day unsuppressed with them without ears on ? no way. but a shot or two and my ears arent ringing or anything. basic foam hearing protection really makes them super tolerable.

my Grendel has a bit more pop to it than the 223's do in my can - even comparing them side by side in 20" barrels - but with the extra case capacity and not that much bullet diamater difference (.224 vs .264).... thats to be expected. but again - i'd consider it more than hunting tolerable for a shot or three. I plan to deer hunt with mine in a couple weeks with 123gr sst's and wont have any hearing protection with me other than my can.

hth

For all around Ranch use and the occasional deer it's hard to beat 7.62x39. Low recoil and the blast is not overwhelming yet approximately 30-30 power. In the last year mine has become one of my favorite AR's. And best of all ammo is available everywhere and very affordable.

This^^^^^^^. My CMMG mutant in 7.62x39 is my most carried rifle this time of year. Ammo is cheap and I don't worry about picking up steel cases. My Hybrid 46 sounds quite nice on it as well. With all super sonic ammo I still recommend ear pro. My constant ringing is a wonderful reminder to keep what I have left.

Back