Morning 3 triple

Snowshoes

Start the morning in the creek valley where I seen the four coyotes yesterday morning. Glassed the hills and fields for 45 minutes but only seen one coyote 3/4 mile away on land I didn’t have permission on. Sat through mixed snow & rain showers the whole time and it was now time to leave.
Packed up & the plan was to head back to the truck but I had a feeling I should head south through the trees and check the fields up top. Worked my way through the trees to within 60 yards of the field when I catch movement at the edge of the field. First thought was a deer but a closer look showed it to be a coyote. It was headed for the trees so I knelt down and got the rifle onto the bi-pod. Within a half minute the coyote and I are roughly 50 yards apart & once its in an open spot, I bark to stop it. Position the crosshairs onto its chest & send a 64gr Berger from the 223AI on its way.

After picking up the coyote I drive 5 miles north to an area that historically holds a few coyotes. (looking north)

Set up with some tall grass at my back and with the aid of a diaphragm call I start off with a couple howls. Almost instantly from the bush to the north, I get a deep throaty challenge howl in return. I challenge howl back and its not long before I see a coyote at the edge of the trees. I slowly reposition the rifle but the coyote picks up the movement and darts back into the trees. Not a good looking coyote but I would try to coax him back anyways. A few yelps with the diaphragm reed and low and behold the coyote is once again at the edge of the trees. This time the coyote doesn’t bolt and I’m able to get the shot off. (118 yards)

On the walk back to the truck I see a coyote mousing to the south. I ignore this coyote for the most part as it looks to be on the move and a long ways out.
One last look before reaching the truck perks my interest as I can see this coyote is now bedded. A stalk may be possible using the lay of the land so off I go. Around 350 yards was normal walking but then there was the 80 yards of crawling on hands & knees to crest the hill. Good thing there was a brisk breeze to cover the sound of my approach. Once in a spot where I could get a clear shot off, I take a quick range before lining up the crosshairs. The coyote never looks my direction which plays in my favor as I steady my aim. A 121 yard shot has # 3 down for the morning.

Originally Posted By: ZSnowshoes, are those coyotes a little dark for your neck of the woods?
That they are, We don't have the real "pales" like southern Alberta but these do seem darker than usual.
Not sure where the lighter colored ones went?
smile.gif

Thanks guys and as of this morning, the landscape has changed to "White". The snow has arrived!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnowshoesThanks guys and as of this morning, the landscape has change to "White". The snow has arrived!

woke up to the sound of snowplows out on the roads and it gave me the greatest smile.
congrats on a great start to the year. hopefully your yotes brighten up a bit as those early ones look pretty dark. I look forward to your stories every year and love every one of them!

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerOriginally Posted By: SnowshoesThanks guys and as of this morning, the landscape has change to "White". The snow has arrived!

woke up to the sound of snowplows out on the roads and it gave me the greatest smile.
congrats on a great start to the year. hopefully your yotes brighten up a bit as those early ones look pretty dark. I look forward to your stories every year and love every one of them!
I was the only one at work today NOT complaining about the snow lol
Best of luck in your future hunting Yotarunner

Originally Posted By: nr123That's great looking territory. I like your choice of rifles too.

Thank you nr123, The rifles have treated me well
smile.gif

Back