Morning #2

Snowshoes

This morning I decided to head down to the creek valley with a spot in mind to try call. Parked the truck behind some grain bins and then started the half mile journey westward.
On the way I stop a couple times to glass the flats and yes, there was coyotes, a single, followed by a group of three. They were almost to bush on the far side of the valley and I made sure to see what route of travel they took into the trees. Noted where I should sit to try intercept these guys was logged into the ole memory bank.
When the coyotes had vanished into trees, I continued my westward journey. There had been no cows in the pasture a couple days ago but now there was. I had cows to the east of me and I tried to stay undetected as I made my way west to an area absent of cattle. I almost made it to where I wanted to set up before being noticed by my bovine friends. Excited in the prospect of maybe getting fed, I have a 100 plus cows trotting my direction with some kicking up their heels in anticipation of meal of grain or hay!
Soon I have 100+ disappointed looking cows standing around me and calling was out of the question. Packed up and started back towards the truck with 20 or so cows casually following my footsteps. Crossed an east /west fence and once again I have some dejected looks from cows on the other side of the fence.

From there I drove 4 miles north and after parking the truck, I walk a quarter mile west and set up on a fence line. ( looking west from my location)

With the 223 ready for action, I start off with a couple howls. A few minutes pass before turning the e-caller on which I had play Vole squeaks. I hadn’t played the vole squeaks for very long before seeing a coyote skirting the right side of the slough, It was on a fast steady trot my direction as I lowered the volume of the caller. The coyote soon stopped and it wasn’t until I increased the volume that it was on the move again. With the coyote now in the wheat stubble only a 100 yards or so away, I let a howl out to stop its eastward journey. The coyote stops and with cross hairs placed on its chest, its just a matter of sending the bullet to the intended target. The shot is true and I have my first good coyote of the season.
Took a range and got a reading of 93 yards.
Walked out and grabbed the coyote and drug it back to the fence. As I pulled the coyote through the fence, it dawned on me I never took a picture.
I pulled out my phone and took a picture of my prize but of course it wasn’t where it fell. That would have been north of the fence roughly 60 yards.

Nice going, congrats on the first good one of the year, looking forward to following your stories again this season.

Originally Posted By: fratriNice going, congrats on the first good one of the year, looking forward to following your stories again this season.
I'll try my best to add a story or two over the next few months
smile.gif

Back