40+ Years of calling and still making mistakes!!!!

RandyDB

Went out for the first time this season yesterday. Temp in the 30's just right for me. First stand started before sunrise and forgot to take the remote for the CS24 out of the truck and didn't realize it till I was 1/2 mile through the field on the E-bike. Had my mouth calls so just kept going. Calling for 30 minutes but no takers.

Next stand was an uncut bean fields with a draw and trees coming up through it running south to the north and ended about a 100 yds before the half mile line. Set up in the half mile tree line east of the point of the draw. Didn't forget the remote this time, but when setting down in my chair I bumped the remote against my rifle and the fox bang started up on hurt pup. Thought what the hey and let it run for a few seconds then switched to canine pup. From the east I saw a coyote in the bean field drop down into a washout that went to the point of the draw. Switched my rifle from down wind to the point. Beans were heavier than I thought or wash was deeper because next thing I know he is standing down wind where I had had my rifle pointed. Try to get back on him he spotted me and disappeared in the beans. I know better, and almost always keep my rifle pointed down wind.

Next stand was a mile to the north calling a creek from across a 1/4 mile of pick corn. Long story short I did what I should. Set down wind of the call, kept my rifle pointed down wind, and when he crossed the field to my down wind side at 75 yds the story ended.
image.jpg

The first stands of the season are always a cluster ----. That's one of the reasons the Convention hunts are fun. I forget to turn on the caller, decoy etc. I've walked back to the caller more than once, left the chair, shooting sticks etc. back in the truck. Yesterday I got to the stand and realized I still had my helmet on.

Great story and picture!

This last Wednesday I went duck hunting and dropped my boat and decoys off and then drove about 1.1 miles to the parking lot. After I walked about 400 yards from my truck back towards were my boat was I realized I needed my shotgun that was still back in the truck. LOL
unsure.gif

Many times on the first called in coyote of the year I have got excited and let the coyote get away. If it wasn't exciting we wouldn't be doing it.

Was trying out my new call this morning. Fiddling with the remote, coyote shows up then starts to leave quickly. Tried to hit the pup distress but hit the howl. Coyote leaving more quickly. took a shot clean miss.
Should have been looking for coyotes instead of the remote! Humbling....

Nothing like that first trip out to work off the cobwebs of the off season.

Don't know about you, but just about the time I figure I've made all the mistakes, I have no trouble finding yet another.
lol.gif

Nice coyote!

Regards,
hm

Yeah, mistakes keep me humble, lol.

I went deer hunting this weekend, about 2 1/2 hours from home, and noticed I did not have my rifle sling.

Yep, I also have some of those T-shirts, knee pads and hats of past mistakes on first day.....helps make good stories for the grand kids. Really enjoy their looks on their faces such as "you're a complete dumb........."!

Back