Best Hard Case For Airline Travel

Pelican/storm are really good. Plano has some new ones that work really well and the newer SKB'S are ok too. Boyt has a pretty good one.
$'s are the deciding factor.

I've used Pelicans for years with the military, but my money going back even farther has gone to SKB cases. They're cheaper, lighter, and the company is great to deal with. They provide insurance against damage or theft of anything transported in their cases. They upgraded a number of years ago to quick-change locking mechanisms that are user replaceable, and will fedex you out replacements for free if you get somewhere and the locks were damaged in transport (TSA pried mine open with a screwdriver rather than open them with their TSA key).

I used an old Winchester double gun case I bought when I was a teenager until 2 years ago I was flying from Minot ND and TSA rejected my case. Fortunately I had plenty of time and went to scheels and picked up a pelican storm and 4 locks. Now when I fly I use a pelican with my locks but I also recommend putting a colored zip tie on each end of your case. TSA likes to dig through your stuff and I think they like the challenge. At least if you put on a colored zip tie and its broken off. You know to look extra hard for anything that may be damaged or missing.

Travel was a piece of cake. I checked in at the airline counter. It took a few extra minutes as they had to mark the cases with special stickers that identify fire arms inside.

Next step was over to the TSA center where they opened and inspected both cases. That did not happen right in front of me, but just around the corner where i could peek and talk to the agent.

Then i had to go to the oversized luggage area for pick up. Very easy process.

United lets you carry 5 firearms per case. Delta 4. Alaska lets you take unlimited.

All carriers were fine with carrying 11lbs of ammo

Alaska had a $100 fee if the case was over 50lbs $30 for the first bag and $40 for the second.

United let me check both free if they were below 70lbs each. I went with United.

The Boyt case is heavy. Space is about the same as the Pelican 1750.

If you are right at the limit with weight, the Pelican is the way to go.

For all out durability and ruggedness the Boyt is the tougher of the two believe it or not. It also is deeper and has another layer of foam.

Back