Suppressor Cover?

Frontier Mule

Just got approval for my first can. Have not picked it up yet. Main use will be for calling coyotes. What are the pro's/con's of having the can covered? It will be going on a bolt gun so multiple shots will be limited. Should not have any issue with heat.

Thanks

I run a cole tac cover and usually just use it at the range. If does help to protect the finish of my cans while hunting but they are scratched to [beeep] anyway

I use Tab Gear. I have had mine for a couple years and last year I shot it off my rifle.
I contacted Tab Gear and explained what happened and asked if it could be repaired and what the cost would be.
They sent me a new one at no cost. So when I bought my second suppressor I but another cover from them.

Originally Posted By: Frontier MuleJust got approval for my first can. Have not picked it up yet. Main use will be for calling coyotes. What are the pro's/con's of having the can covered? It will be going on a bolt gun so multiple shots will be limited. Should not have any issue with heat.

Thanks

Depending on your suppressor, in minimal wind conditions you can experience a mirage begin after your first round sent. Suppressor Covers not only suppress mirage after a string of fire, but they also help conceal your can on sets.

Rifles only covers are nice, mine has held up great over the years. Couple shots on a warm day at the range the mirage will drive you nuts.

Last edited:
I have three covers, Rifles Only, Silencerco, and Elite Iron. I usually use the covers at the range and shooting prairie dogs. It seems like I start getting mirage after four or five quick shots. I tend to avoid a cover because i put my gun in and out of an eberlestock pack and I worry that at some point I'm gonna slide it out and pull the cover off without noticing. They are pretty spendy items to be losing, so I just use them only when necessary.

I'm not a huge fan of the Elite iron mode of attachment. I can never seem to get the strings and straps tight enough to really get it to stay tight. I do however like how low profile it is. If I could combine the silencerco and Elite options I'd have one that uses velcro but keeps a low profile. I've used the Elite iron one for two years and it's getting pretty shredded as one of the seals in my Lane Scorpion was allowing gases to escape and has done a number on the edges of the elite iron. Both mitigate heat pretty well, but I don't shoot major strings other than a 15-30 second 5 shot group with a few minute break before shooting again.

The rifles only one seems like a quality item. I haven't received my banish 30 yet so I haven't had a chance to utilize this longer cover. Just from initial observations I would say I should be able to get it tight with its string type cinch option. It also seems like getting the strings tight aren't as big of deal on this cover as the internals aren't fabric but a high temp rubber type layer. That seems like it's gonna stay attached even if it's not super tight. The downside of this cover is the weight and thickness. If my Banish would get out of prison, I could post about how it holds up and works with heat.

Prices on all of them are:
Silencerco: $56
Elite Iron:$50
Rifles Only:$85

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Elite Iron cover on my Elite Iron Delta. Same comments as above on the strings and straps staying tight enough - especially after a string of fire. Otherwise works well though. Suppressor covers are an absolute must if you are going to remove the suppressor at all while it is still hot. That and the mirage control are the main reasons I have mine.

For those not wanting to spend a ton of cash on a cover a took a chance and bought one of the cheap $20 covers. So far it has worked just fine. Caveat... I only shoot a couple rounds at any given time. This can is on a strictly hunting rifle. Blocks the glare and keeps it from banging around. Not bad for $20

SINAIRSOFT Military Shooting 7” Suppressor Cover Tactical Airsoft Hunting Silencer Quick Release Cover

$17 at Amazon.

I started with just a thin rubber sleave made from a bycicle tube. Worked well for several years until one day I looked over at my brother and it was glaring like crazy in the sun. This cheap cover has solved that. Looks good enough too. No idea how it would react to a hot can from a string though. I only ever shoot once when hunting......lol

When i was on looking for a wrap on here a few years ago a member gave me the email address of a guy in Texas who makes and sells them i cant find his email now perhaps someone knows who I'm referring to. I want to say it was about 30$ and has held up well enough. He had several colors and patterns available. I mostly use one to help keep it from getting scratched and dinged up while hunting and such and it helps with mirage at the range.

You're thinking of Steve B I believe. Mid-last year he was still in the business. I bought a great cover from him. I don't like posting email addresses online, so if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll provide Steve's email.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamYou're thinking of Steve B I believe. Mid-last year he was still in the business. I bought a great cover from him. I don't like posting email addresses online, so if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll provide Steve's email.

That sounds right. Anybody needing one should look into him. For the money they are hard to beat!

Originally Posted By: thegman1763I use Bowers Griptastic Silicone covers. Inexpensive, heat proof and very resilient with no chance of them coming off when you don't want them to. I'm not associated with Bowers but they are really great covers.

https://bowersgroup.com/product/griptasticsupcov-high-temp-silicone-silencer-covers/ and they don't move like all others I have tried. great price also.i have several others but bowers is the only one I now use.One more thing if your cover moves and you don't see that it moved and covered the muzzle brake part in front [just the first vent]it changes the point of impact,and messes your cover up.

Last edited:
Back