Silencer Shop verses Silencer Central purchase process

Breeze

Just a little comparison between the two,
Silencer shop online purchase ,process time from purchase, to document sign, paperwork sent to atf ,then confirmation of check cashed total 18 days. pretty quick

Now Silencer Central
In person purchase (paid in full)paperwork ,prints ,photos,Doc signed, 14 days and nothing has been processed, no serial number assigned ,and of course no paper work has left there hands. not to good of service there.
Both purchases were individual form 4
any others have this experience with silencer central formally Dakota silencer ?

I've had very good experiences working with Silencer Central, both on Form 3's and customers getting their approved 4's in a timely fashion.

As a sot I would guess that you may get better service, Don't take it wrong not bashing them just giving an informative comparison.
They just are not as streamlined in the way they are doing business, and in this kind of purchase where we all know there are wait times, would just be less if they would speed up there process time. Originally Posted By: skinneyI've had very good experiences working with Silencer Central, both on Form 3's and customers getting their approved 4's in a timely fashion.

I sent them my paperwork for a Varminter 4.0 to them about a year ago. I don't remember the exact number of days that it took to get an email about my submission but don't recall it being very long. I also had them thread a barrel for me. All dealings with them have been very prompt and with timely updates. Just my experience. Good luck, Dave

I had a really good experience with them when I bought my Varminter 4.0. They were Dakota then. I didn't know they changed their name. They were extremely helpful, quick with the paperwork and fast to respond when I had an issue with the ATF agent's interpretation of the requirements for a trust member. They've been great for me to deal with and I am surprised that your process has taken so long. I experienced longer wait times with purchases through silencer shop. It seems silencer shop's average time to stamp check cashed was close to 30 days from purchase for most of my dealings with them. Their process is easier for subsequent purchases, but they still seem to take longer than I wish.

Had them do a barrel for me when they 1st started the mail in program pretty quick on that about 7 days turnaround Originally Posted By: RustyCJ8I sent them my paperwork for a Varminter 4.0 to them about a year ago. I don't remember the exact number of days that it took to get an email about my submission but don't recall it being very long. I also had them thread a barrel for me. All dealings with them have been very prompt and with timely updates. Just my experience. Good luck, Dave

silencer shop has worked well for me as I stated above check cashed in 18 days on the last one, the previous 2 were 26 and 23 days.
I give it another week to see if I get an email and serial number. Originally Posted By: 1loboI had a really good experience with them when I bought my Varminter 4.0. They were Dakota then. I didn't know they changed their name. They were extremely helpful, quick with the paperwork and fast to respond when I had an issue with the ATF agent's interpretation of the requirements for a trust member. They've been great for me to deal with and I am surprised that your process has taken so long. I experienced longer wait times with purchases through silencer shop. It seems silencer shop's average time to stamp check cashed was close to 30 days from purchase for most of my dealings with them. Their process is easier for subsequent purchases, but they still seem to take longer than I wish.

Item was in stock and spoke with them on the phone, was told they had not processed my paperwork yet ,that was on day 14.
like I said I will give them another week.

Originally Posted By: hydehunter I have you called them,they do everything electronically so it is fast,did they have the item in stock?

Last edited:
My friend and I both had similar experiences in wait times with Dakota silencer/Silencer central. He bought his banish 30 early January 19, but got no response on his paperwork being submitted til an email late February from DS/SC. When he called and asked them why it took so long they said they had some paperwork problems and higher demand than usual. Stuff happens.

Two months later I bought one at a sportsman show in about 10 minutes at their booth. Easy peasy. A month and a half later same thing happened and I finally get an email saying my paperwork has been sent to ATF. I chose to do their easy pay and thought it made sense because it’s zero interest and wait time was going to be 8+ months. They almost had my third payment before they ever submitted my paperwork in the first place.

Process was easy, suppressor seems like a good product, just disappointing in how they execute the final step at their own pace. I look forward to actually receiving and shooting the thing. It’s just good for people to know what’s in store for them and it sounds like SC dragging their feet on the submission end is standard...

I read a similar experience on a forum and they had said it felt like a cheesy used car sales type encounter. Not far off

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Ice goatieMy friend and I both had similar experiences in wait times with Dakota silencer/Silencer central. He bought his banish 30 early January 19, but got no response on his paperwork being submitted til an email late February from DS/SC. When he called and asked them why it took so long they said they had some paperwork problems and higher demand than usual. Stuff happens.

Two months later I bought one at a sportsman show in about 10 minutes at their booth. Easy peasy. A month and a half later same thing happened and I finally get an email saying my paperwork has been sent to ATF. I chose to do their easy pay and thought it made sense because it’s zero interest and wait time was going to be 8+ months. They almost had my third payment before they ever submitted my paperwork in the first place.

Process was easy, suppressor seems like a good product, just disappointing in how they execute the final step at their own pace. I look forward to actually receiving and shooting the thing. It’s just good for people to know what’s in store for them and it sounds like SC dragging their feet on the submission end is standard...

I read a similar experience on a forum and they had said it felt like a cheesy used car sales type encounter. Not far off
+1
BB.jpg

Interesting post! I'm having the same type of discussion with them right now, when they'll even talk to me! Had tables at a local gunshow the weekend of Oct 26-27. Had considered a suppressor for my .338 and Silencer Central was just down the row from me. When a guy I know stopped to talk he said he had one of the Elite Iron suppressors that SC carries and thought it was a good suppressor, really liked it. So, I figured what the heck, no time like the present. When I got a break I went down, talked to them, and ended up purchasing one.

I got an email first thing Monday asking for the muzzle thread size so figured they were right on top of things. Called them a week later, thought I'd get confirmation/serial number. Oh, sorry, we're waiting on Elite Iron, it's not in stock. Of course, one of the questions I never thought to ask! Took it for granted. Anyway, "they're expecting one any day". Called a couple weeks later, same thing. Called again yesterday, same thing. They keep telling me it's Elite Iron's fault, something about "contract negotiations" and "the check's in the mail". I asked the guy if I could cancel since it isn't in stock, and no body informed me at the time that it wasn't even in stock or how long I might have to wait. "Gee I don't know, I'm a gunsmith, just helping customer service out. I'll transfer you to someone who can help you". Of course all I got was a voice mail and no one ever returned my call! Yes, my voice mail was cordial, but I did ask if I could cancel. It's bad enough you have to wait a year to get approval from the ATF, but it's been 7 weeks so far and SC can't (or won't) tell me a thing about when they're even going to see one from Elite Iron. I don't do this enough to know all the questions to ask and never even thought about this when I purchased it.

I should have known better. I sent a rifle back to them from a gunshow at the first of the year to be threaded for a suppressor. A couple weeks later I got an email that it was done. Figured Id get another one telling me it had been shipped. Nothing. 3 days later I came home late afternoon and there was the rifle laying half on and half off (literally) my front porch. SpeeDee delivered sometime during the day and the rifle had been sitting there in the open for everyone to see, fairly busy street. When I asked them why no shipping email so I knew it was coming "Really, that's strange, that's never happened before." RIIIIGHT!

I guess it's on me for not asking if it's in stock but I don't do this everyday. But they're attitude is not helping. I paid with a credit card and am considering disputing the charges to the credit card company. I've never done that before so I'm not sure what that entails but it might actually get their attention.

Last edited:
That sure sounds a lot different from my experience with them (SC). Makes me wonder what has happened to them. They seemed like they were eager to help and very comfortable to deal with when I bought mine. I really like the Varminter 4.0 that I got from them. It's the best of several that I have subsequently purchased.

Just a little update on mine, at day 21 I finally got an email saying my paperwork had been submitted,
waited patiently for another couple weeks for an email confirming that my stamp check had been cashed .
That email never came ,and when I called to inquire about it I was told that they (silencer central) do not send emails to confirm that, unlike silencer shops program.

Next step was to call the ATF and check, the serial number given to me by silencer central.

It could not be entered into the ATF system, ( serial number was to long according to the ATF agent)
after 2 calls to silencer central, and the ATF contacting them direct it was determined that someone added to many zero's to the serial number sent to me in the email.

fingers crossed this all goes well ,probably do business elsewhere in the future

Last edited:
My buddy just received a can he bought from Silencer Central and by all accounts his entire process was easy and timely enough except the stamp approval wait but that is what it is. I am sure he would by there again.

My experience with SC was completely different but it was with a salesman at a show and not with the actual ordering process. I am involved with a farm product and we had a booth at a large farm show. I went to get lunch one day and noticed Dakota Silencer(at that time) had a booth in one of the tents with a bunch of other small item type tables so i decided to go take a look at their table. Lots of people standing around and i noticed the suppressor wraps they had for sale i really liked the looks of so i asked their salesman how long the wrap was. He wanted to know which one of their cans i had and i told him i had another manufacturers can. Anyways we talk about the wraps a little more and everything is fine. We talk about their suppressors a little and he pitches me whatever promotion they had at the time and i told him id love to but just not in a financial position to buy another one. As this conversation ends he asks which suppressor i have now and i told him i owned a Lane Scorpian King. This guy all but explodes he starts going off about what a crap product they are and how they are not safe blah blah blah. Im trying to be nice and just kind of try and move on from the conversation but he dont quit and in not so many words proceeds to question my intelligence and just generally make a big scene in front of several other people standing at the booth. I was decked out in all of our companys logos and not wanting to make a scene i just tried to be as friendly as possible and say "I'm happy with it" and end this conversation. This guy says and I'm quoting here "well if they are good enough for you our products are not for you" and he turns away to talk to other people standing at his table most of whom were wide eyed and open mouthed at what just happened.

I can assure you i did or said nothing to work this guy up i was genuinely curious about their wraps. Having done several of these shows with our own product i know they can turn stressful and their are people who stop with nothing but the worst of intentions to run you and your stuff down. This was not what i was doing. I gave this guy the benefit of the doubt for awhile this happened 2 years ago, maybe he was having a bad day or maybe he had just dealt with a real ahole before me who knows. I thought long and hard about stopping into their offices to say something and decided it wasnt worth it he probably was just having a bad day and im an adult i can survive the incident. Now with in the last year i have heard two very similar stories to my own. Perhaps i actually should have said something at the time.

I realize people love to hate on Lane ive dealt with scrutiny on this forum for owning one in the past and thats fine. Since this happened ive learned there is a whole lot animosity between Lane and Silencer Central over some alleged incident that happened when Lane was just starting out. I don't know if its true or not or who is in the wrong. I do know that its no excuse to treat people that way. With our own product we are dealing with copycatters and with other companies pulling some shady antics and we have done nothing but wish them the best of luck. We deal with people all the time that have seen or own the competitions product, and ill sure tell ya why i think ours is better but im never going to question your intelligence for buying from the competition.

Glad to her your friend had a good experience, as for yours I'm beginning to think this is normal for some of there sales reps.I made the mistake of mentioning silencer shop after I had made my Banish purchace .
Had about the same response that you got.
I will say that the three transactions I have made with silencer shop were better handled than the one with silencer central.
Originally Posted By: FairChase93My buddy just received a can he bought from Silencer Central and by all accounts his entire process was easy and timely enough except the stamp approval wait but that is what it is. I am sure he would by there again.

My experience with SC was completely different but it was with a salesman at a show and not with the actual ordering process. I am involved with a farm product and we had a booth at a large farm show. I went to get lunch one day and noticed Dakota Silencer(at that time) had a booth in one of the tents with a bunch of other small item type tables so i decided to go take a look at their table. Lots of people standing around and i noticed the suppressor wraps they had for sale i really liked the looks of so i asked their salesman how long the wrap was. He wanted to know which one of their cans i had and i told him i had another manufacturers can. Anyways we talk about the wraps a little more and everything is fine. We talk about their suppressors a little and he pitches me whatever promotion they had at the time and i told him id love to but just not in a financial position to buy another one. As this conversation ends he asks which suppressor i have now and i told him i owned a Lane Scorpian King. This guy all but explodes he starts going off about what a crap product they are and how they are not safe blah blah blah. Im trying to be nice and just kind of try and move on from the conversation but he dont quit and in not so many words proceeds to question my intelligence and just generally make a big scene in front of several other people standing at the booth. I was decked out in all of our companys logos and not wanting to make a scene i just tried to be as friendly as possible and say "I'm happy with it" and end this conversation. This guy says and I'm quoting here "well if they are good enough for you our products are not for you" and he turns away to talk to other people standing at his table most of whom were wide eyed and open mouthed at what just happened.

I can assure you i did or said nothing to work this guy up i was genuinely curious about their wraps. Having done several of these shows with our own product i know they can turn stressful and their are people who stop with nothing but the worst of intentions to run you and your stuff down. This was not what i was doing. I gave this guy the benefit of the doubt for awhile this happened 2 years ago, maybe he was having a bad day or maybe he had just dealt with a real ahole before me who knows. I thought long and hard about stopping into their offices to say something and decided it wasnt worth it he probably was just having a bad day and im an adult i can survive the incident. Now with in the last year i have heard two very similar stories to my own. Perhaps i actually should have said something at the time.

I realize people love to hate on Lane ive dealt with scrutiny on this forum for owning one in the past and thats fine. Since this happened ive learned there is a whole lot animosity between Lane and Silencer Central over some alleged incident that happened when Lane was just starting out. I don't know if its true or not or who is in the wrong. I do know that its no excuse to treat people that way. With our own product we are dealing with copycatters and with other companies pulling some shady antics and we have done nothing but wish them the best of luck. We deal with people all the time that have seen or own the competitions product, and ill sure tell ya why i think ours is better but im never going to question your intelligence for buying from the competition.

Last edited:
I’ve had great experience with my Lane Scorpion and their customer service. Awesome people but I wish I had bought their all titanium one as my stainless is just heavy.

Wasn’t a fan of my dealings with silencer central, but their suppressor seemed innovative and light. Hopefully I get my Banish soon, I’m 300 days in ATF purgatory.

Originally Posted By: BreezeAs a sot I would guess that you may get better service, Don't take it wrong not bashing them just giving an informative comparison.
They just are not as streamlined in the way they are doing business, and in this kind of purchase where we all know there are wait times, would just be less if they would speed up there process time. Originally Posted By: skinneyI've had very good experiences working with Silencer Central, both on Form 3's and customers getting their approved 4's in a timely fashion.

Considering form 3 approvals are anywhere from a day to a few weeks, I've actually had better service time from Silencer Central, and currently I've dealt more with Silencer Shop.

Form 4's are a different story as I'm not directly involved with them from either company, just individuals who come through me. So being a dealer doesn't necessarily mean "better" service.

Back