.224" 69 grain Sierra Tipped MatchKing for coyotes?

cornstalker

Does anyone here have any experience to share regarding the use of Sierra 69-grain Tipped MatchKing on coyotes? I am considering trying them in my 9" twist .22-250 Rem.

I have seen the regular 69-grain MatchKing work quite well on coyotes at .223 Rem velocities, but have not seen them in action out of a .22-250.

Also looking at the 65-grain GameKing.

I’ll add my thoughts since nobody else has. I use them in my 8 twist 22-250 and my 224 Valkyrie. They have performed just fine for me in both instances which gives a pretty decent range of velocities. They’ve exited for me every time but to be honest it’s a pretty small sampling. Less than a dozen, and all at short range.

Originally Posted By: LowerRiverI’ll add my thoughts since nobody else has. I use them in my 8 twist 22-250 and my 224 Valkyrie. They have performed just fine for me in both instances which gives a pretty decent range of velocities. They’ve exited for me every time but to be honest it’s a pretty small sampling. Less than a dozen, and all at short range.

Did they pencil through or expand?

No pencilling. Good expansion and killed well. Usually a nice nickel sized hole on the exit. I don’t keep my kills so no internal report. For what it’s worth I did tons of searching and reading before I used them on animals as I’m sure you’ve done. Most info I found was favorable for on game performance which lead me to try them. Usually the negative was just here say that gets repeated with no actual experience to back it.

Haven't tried the matchkings but for years have had great success with the 69 gr bthp in the .223. Used to use it for prairie dogs & shot a yote & a fox or two with them. IIRC I was running Win 748 powder, have to look up the exact load.

I've shot five or six with them so far out of my 1-8 twist 22-250.I really like them so far they kill them with authority.

Back