How and what do you carry to a stand?

I use the Cabelas Speedy Yote vest to carry my small misc. equipment (Diaphrams, gloves, mask, wind check, bullets, water, drag and a wash cloth).

I walk with my rifle on a sling over my right shoulder while carrying my Shockwave and BiPod in my left hand. I have my remote on a lanyard hanging from my neck with a couple of hand calls on it.

I was listening to the Meat Eater podcast and listened about first aid stuff in the field. Anyone carry a few good first aid items to the stand or keep them in the truck?

Originally Posted By: ibschmidtyI was listening to the Meat Eater podcast and listened about first aid stuff in the field. Anyone carry a few good first aid items to the stand or keep them in the truck?

Truck, but when calling I'm usually within a few hundred yards of it. If I venture much beyond that, I'll have a pack with first aid kit and other support gear. I always have my Leatherman Squirt though, which has nifty tweezers for the inevitable thorn/splinter removal.

Originally Posted By: ibschmidtyI was listening to the Meat Eater podcast and listened about first aid stuff in the field. Anyone carry a few good first aid items to the stand or keep them in the truck?

I carry a small but well equipped kit. Most important is a tourniquet and Israeli bandage.

Seems like the amount we carry to a stand has grown over time. My son and I night hunt here in wisconsin. each of us wears a home-made zip up cloth scabbard with rigging that i sewed up to carry a large tri-pod and reaper mount.

we carry our small stuff lights, hand warmers, dickies, spare batteries, thermal monocular, etc, etc in alaska guide bino-packs. our foxpro fusion and sp60 speaker we carry in a small back-pack that get clipped onto the scabbard. And last but not least we carry our guns over our shoulders.

No chairs because we stand up on our night hunts.

I can tell you that circumstances can change quickly multiple times completely beyond your control.
Three things that would have been greatly beneficial, a tourniquet, clotting agent, and GPS to relay coordinates.

A bandana(runny nose, pressure bandage, ear warmer, tie the four corners together and it is a hat), Tourniquet, (shoe laces, belt, suspenders), knife(splinters, thorns, cut up shirt for bandage), Camo vet wrap on my barrel will work also. A firstaid kit is the last thing I'd think about packing to a stand or in the field. I have stuff in the truck, bandaids, sewing kit for my clothes and pelts but will double for my body if needed, antibiotics and pain killers.

This has come up in the past, I leave the phone in the truck. I feel the more stuff you take to protect yourself the more likely your going to need it. I've been hunting, trapping, fishing mostly by myself for 60 years and have gotten myself into some pretty sticky situations and through the grace of god and common sense I'm still here and there have been some very iffy times.

I skin furbearers in the field. On big game I gutless debone and quarter to pack them out. That requires knife work. I am very likely miles from the truck in rugged terrain with no cell service. A RATS tourniquet and Israeli bandage weigh less than 1/2 pound. In the event of a slip of the knife, mishandling a broadhead, a firearms accident, bad fall, ect. a few items that are never noticed until needed might make the critical difference. I'm not fortunate enough to have that magic crystal ball that will tell me when to just stay home or pack a few emergency items because something bad is imminent. So I plan for the worst and try for the best. So far, so good.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I can tell you that circumstances can change quickly multiple times completely beyond your control.
Three things that would have been greatly beneficial, a tourniquet, clotting agent, and GPS to relay coordinates.

I doubt many of the newer or occasional posters know about your incident.

I have tried quite a few different packs trying to find one that is comfortable for me to wear and found that Mystery Ranch fits me the best. I got the pop up 18 this year and love it so far. I carry a little more gear with me sometimes as I might hike 5-10 miles a day from the truck hunting depending on where I go.
GPS for OnX some places I’m right on the edge of public and private land so I have to know where I am.
Couple calls on a lanyard.
Fire starters
Small first aid. Plan to add blood clot and a tourniquet
Skinning knife. Skin a lot in the field so it’s lighter to carry out.
Sitting pad
Shooting sticks
Lightweight down jacket stuffed in just in case. Weather changes quick sometimes
TP
Headlight and batteries
Couple Granola bars
Paracord
Few rounds of extra ammo
Bottle of water
Pair of cotton gloves
A saw. I can cut a little wood and have lunch by the fire and relax.
If I’m staying close to the truck and hunting I usually just grab my rifle and seat pad and my calls.

Sly Dog pack.. my drag, foxpro, decoy and shooting sticks. A few handcalls around my neck attached to my bino/rangefinder harness. And of course my weapon/weapons of choice for that location.

Originally Posted By: brock2013I have tried quite a few different packs trying to find one that is comfortable for me to wear and found that Mystery Ranch fits me the best. I got the pop up 18 this year and love it so far. I carry a little more gear with me sometimes as I might hike 5-10 miles a day from the truck hunting depending on where I go.
GPS for OnX some places I’m right on the edge of public and private land so I have to know where I am.
Couple calls on a lanyard.
Fire starters
Small first aid. Plan to add blood clot and a tourniquet
Skinning knife. Skin a lot in the field so it’s lighter to carry out.
Sitting pad
Shooting sticks
Lightweight down jacket stuffed in just in case. Weather changes quick sometimes
TP
Headlight and batteries
Couple Granola bars
Paracord
Few rounds of extra ammo
Bottle of water
Pair of cotton gloves
A saw. I can cut a little wood and have lunch by the fire and relax.
If I’m staying close to the truck and hunting I usually just grab my rifle and seat pad and my calls.

I carried a quartered and boned out whitetail buck a couple miles over some pretty steep heavily timbered country on my Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18 last weekend. I still hunted my way onto a decent buck, shot him, gutless method put him into a game bag and packed him to the truck in one trip with the PU 18. Worked like a champ, one trip in and out.

Back