Sniper hawg coyote cannon

one of my coworkers has one. He says it's pretty impressive. Been kicking around the idea of grabbing one as they are now legal to use here in ND.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I think those big ir's just spook things worse.

I agree.
I've been through several IR's trying to find the best one. I currently have a SH 30LR (discontinued but a good IR), a couple of EWT 100's, and a couple of Night Eyes IR's. With Gen 3 they are all able to illuminate a target farther than I will shoot.
I have never used the SH Cannon, but after reading the specs a few things stood out as concerning to me.
It uses a 2170 battery. Unless you have some of those laying around you have to add $45.00 to the price of the light.
It weighs 2 lbs, that is extremely heavy.
The bezel is 2.75", that is going to display a very large signature.
If I was going to start over with one I think that I would try the TNVC Torch. After adding the cost of the batteries to the SH the Torch is only about $40.00 more expensive, less than 1/3 the weight, and a much smaller bezel.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I think those big ir's just spook things worse.

Bigger lens creates a larger glow at the source. Similar emitters driven the same produce the same amount of light. The larger the lens the smaller (and farther "throw") the hot spot will be. Think of burning ants on the sidewalk with a magnifying glass. A bigger lens needs to be held farther than a smaller lens to create the same hot spot to burn the ant. Sun intensity doesn't change you're altering what you're doing with that intensity. The difference between a 30mm lens and a 67mm isn't more than double as one would think. I had T20 (38mm lens) and a 50mm light wit the same emitter and driver, the 50mm threw farther, when fully focused. Once both lights were backed off to fill the FOV on my scope their was no real difference on how far I felt I could comfortably shoot.

Last edited:
Back