Dusk or Dawn

Nciyotehunter

As we all know coyotes can be taken at all times of the day or night. I was curious to what all of you guys and gals think is your best time of the day or night for yotes. I’ve had little success in the morning hours but was wondering about the success of others. Thanks for all of your comments.

From November through March I can have coyotes come in at any time between first light and 30 minutes after sun down. We can't hunt coyotes at night in the area I live and hunt in.

make it 4.

by far that first morning stand, where it is just light enough to see, has always been the best. been that way for over 50 years for me.
smile.gif

I have been finding around here that 10:30 am till 1:00 pm have been doing the best here lately. But I prefer morning hunts vs evening.

I live in a rural area and when someone tells me they saw a coyote I always ask where and what time. 90% of the responses are between 8am and noon and right at dark. I hunt whenever I can. but like the morning best.

I used to get out and be in place before first light, and then noticed I did not get as many coyotes as I did later in the day, say after the sun was up.

I concluded that a coyotes night vision is far superior to mine, and many times, while I was walking to a stand in the dark, they were watching me walk in and sit down. No way they are coming to my call.

For the past 20 years or so, I get out there about 8-8:30am, and I do well. My theory is that by mid-morning, they have found a place to nap for the day and that makes it easier for me to cover ground without being seen. Then my call is like a 'come to breakfast' invitation.

I seem to call as many during mid-day as I do late afternoon.

Originally Posted By: 257 WI live in a rural area and when someone tells me they saw a coyote I always ask where and what time. 90% of the responses are between 8am and noon and right at dark. I hunt whenever I can. but like the morning best.

late risers. lol.. just think how many coyotes those same people would see if they were out there from daylight to 8am.

I like to call at first light when possible, but my unwritten internal Murphy's Law is that I pretty much always screw up the first stand.
smile.gif
So, I usually don't call the first coyote in until after the sun is up on the second or third stand. But I still try 'cuz there can be no good second stand without that first crappy one.
grin.gif

Back