How and what do you carry to a stand?

ibschmidty

I am just now getting a tripod and realizing that I will now be hauling a bit to the average stand. How do you carry your gear, shoulder straps, back pack what have you? Also, what do you carry? E-caller, seat/chair, hand calls, binos, range finder, sticks/tripod, coyote drags, extra gloves/mask, extra jacket, kitchen sink?

Keep it as light as possible. I have my rifle with a normal sling over my shoulder, rangefinder which doubles as a monocular around my neck, I carry my lightweight folding seat with my shooting sticks folded inside it, and my Revolt, both in my left hand. Sometimes I have a lanyard of hand calls around my neck also. Coyote drag goes in the pouch on the back of my seat. That's it, and it's almost too much but I use all these items every stand. I'm never too far from the RZR or the truck, so extra clothes, water, etc all stay there.

Depends on the season, weather, where I'm going, and how long I plan to be out. A small backpack, a vest with lots of pockets, a foam "hot seat" until the snow gets deep, then a three leg stool. I keep some extra cloths and boots in the truck, but try to keep light and simple.

I carry my rifle in a back scabbard, there is a small pouch on the back that holds matches, knife, energy bar, spare mouth call and drag. there are cartridge loops beneathe the pouch and I have five extra shells and three batteries for the decoy. The decoy is clipped to the rim of the scabbard and shooting sticks go in the scabbard with the rifle. Hooked on the back is a stool or seat. On the front shoulder strap is a pouch to hold my caller. When I get out of the truck I just throw the scabbard on my back and I'm ready to go. The set up works well whether I'm walking, skiing or on the bike, both hands are free and I never have to juggle equipment.

9bVQWX.jpg

Last edited:
A bag with my e-call in it,extra batteries,monopod (unless I'm using my rifle with a bipod attached) and I wear a turkey hunting vest with hand calls and extra bullets in it. I don't like carrying a bunch of stuff. It makes it that much more difficult carrying a coyote back.

How far from the truck to you generally travel to make a stand? I'd guess my average has been about 150-200yds. Sometimes get a little further.

I've been known to travel miles through non-accessible wildlife areas and behind closed gates. Skis and mountain bike make it easier but shanks mare if needed. I also use boats and canoes to access areas that are beyond what the average hunters willing to travel. I am getting lazier since getting in my 70's but I've lost 30 pounds and the knees are responding nicely, I try and walk a couple miles in the morning with a pack before breakfast in the off season.

Last edited:
My favorite way to call and spend a day in the Ozark's is to walk a circular route from my truck that takes me five to seven miles overland in steep, rocky and heavily timbered country. I have a lot of public ground that once the general firearms deer season ends is pretty empty of other hunters. It's remote and there is very little or no cell service. We have a few critters that could give some trouble, bear, hogs and large long tailed cats. There could be other issues, a bad fall, slip of the knife, ect. A couple years ago my son and I got caught in the path of a wildfire. We got lucky and got back to the truck before the fire.

In our situation you better be ready to handle whatever comes your way. You need to pack everything you need for the day and possibly an overnight stay in case something goes bad. Clothing, food, water, medical kit, firestarter, topo map & compass, multi tool, headlamp w/extra charged batteries, actual hunting gear and a way to take a pelt or two out. This year I am using a new pack, the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18. Pretty excited at the possibilities of this pack.

I have a sling bag, inside I pack:
eCaller w/ attached decoy
Remote
3 hand calls (reed howler, distress, squeaker)
Spotlight
IR scanner
Range finder
Monocular
Extra load of ammo
Knife
Headlamp

*I'm usually within about a mile of my car so if something goes bad I'm not far...

I wear a jacket that has pockets big enough to put my johnny stewart cheapo caller..its a great little ecaller! range finder in my other pocket. Gun slung over shoulder, head mounted scan light, gun mounted kill light, rubber gloves and tow rope in my back pocket. Tripod carried in my free hand. I leave the rest of my stuff in the truck. I set my tripod up with some shrubs/ Joshua trees behind me and I stand up that way I can see over all the sage, cactus and yucca plants. Only need to go a couple hundred yards from my truck, some stands might only be 50 yards away longest is prolly 400 yards away.

A Superday pack with all calls, ammo, bino, rangefinder etc and a kill pack for dressing/skinning game with tarps for transport and a lunch cooler completely full.
All three fit behind the seat, guns upfront and I drive to 98% of my stands.

Sticks, caller and seat in left hand. Rifle over right shoulder. Right hand empty. Coyote drag and a couple rounds of ammo in a pants pocket.

- DAA

Sticks and seat in right hand, gun in left. Calls and drags in jacket pocket. If I use an e-call I carry it in a backpack/seat combo pack with the sticks and carry my gun in hand.

I try to keep it simple and light. Couple of hand calls, rifle, and a pad to sit on. Of course I have a pocket knife and TP in my pocket. I've learned that less is better. As I get older I don't like to walk very far or carry much.

eCall in my left hand, shooting sticks in my right. Rifle over my shoulder and a velcro ammo pouch in a coat pocket. Usually have a hand call or two around my neck or in the pocket opposite of the ammo. I don't take much with me but have tons of junk in my vehicle in case the need arises.

Depends on where I hunt and what rifle or shotgun I take.

Generally, rifle or shotgun, e-caller, stix and seat. If possible longer range shooting Bino's and rangefinder. Lately I wear a chest pack with a drag, a howler, rangefinder in it. Plus the above.

Originally Posted By: ibschmidtyI am just now getting a tripod and realizing that I will now be hauling a bit to the average stand. How do you carry your gear, shoulder straps, back pack what have you? Also, what do you carry? E-caller, seat/chair, hand calls, binos, range finder, sticks/tripod, coyote drags, extra gloves/mask, extra jacket, kitchen sink?

We carry quite a bit in, even if we don't use it all, we have it, in case.

One of the most efficient ways I've found for carrying our gear, is Eberlestock packs, I bet we get asked hundreds of times throughout the year, "hey, what kind of pack are you guys using?"
It's got an integral scabbard, to center your rifle between your shoulder blades and distribute the weight evenly which is much more comfortable IMHO. It has an oversized waist strap (cummerbund) so when you snug her down, the weight of the pack rides on your hips below the lumbar in your back. Making it very comfortable when you need to gear up with extra weight, or just to go that extra mile or two.

I use the G4 personally, it's usually overkill for most, but since I do carry the Rifle and or the Camera with the larger Manfrotto and Fluid head, with the call, and extra batteries (+ alot more junk), it makes going in and out so much easier.

My guys usually use the more discreet X3 Lowdrag which is perfect for Rifle/Call and even your Tripod.

Probably way more stuff than I need to carry.
smile.gif

I pretty much always have my chest rig, aka Snuggle Buddy, with the bino, rangefinder, GPS, camera, wind checker, spare calls, etc. I have a Mojo Critter Sitter (a chair that turns into a backpack) that has pockets in which I carry a totin' strap, spare batteries, a couple calls on a lanyard, spare face mask and gloves, and other small odds and ends. To the outside of the Sitter I strap a 2" foam pad (in case I want to sit way low) and my Shockwave. I put my Trigger Sticks in the side pouch of the Sitter and sling the whole thing. Then I just carry the rifle or shotgun.

With all that stuff, I'm ready for whatever kind of stand I come across. I can hand call or use the Shockwave. I can stand up, sit in the chair, or drop all the way to the ground on the pad.

Back