Friday night kill

larryb

[video:youtube][/video]
short video of pig kill from Friday night, with 6.5 Grendel and Hornady Black ammo, Thermion XP38. Shot placement was a little low and cut the pigs throat, I been working on this sounder for a couple of weeks, started out with 10 now down to seven. Spypoint camera showed them back at 6:30 this morning. Be back Wednesday night and try to lower the number again...

Originally Posted By: larryb [video:youtube][/video]
Shot placement was a little low and cut the pigs throat, I been working on this sounder for a couple of weeks, started out with 10 now down to seven. Spypoint camera showed them back at 6:30 this morning. Be back Wednesday night and try to lower the number again...

Nice shooting larryb. Scope offset is relatively high on an AR so POI will shift lower on close shots......I learned to adjust for that after numerous misses up close.

I also like to video my hunts so I can watch them and see where I made mistakes or see if I made a strategic error. Maybe you could try a strategy I have learned to use to get my kill numbers up.

When those hogs are feeding that tight you might try to double tap when you get them lined up for it. Depending on the caliber you can use your muzzle rise or just make a mental note of where you think the closest hog will be after you shoot. Just go ahead and commit a round to that spot and you might make contact. Those hogs are quick but I would have no problem burning a few rounds trying to hit them on the run.

As a side note, that's why I try to use a caliber with enough terminal energy to knock down or slow up the runners up for a follow up shot. For me that is 6.8SPC and 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'm looking forward to the next video..... It's fun to watch you whittle them down.

Last edited:
Thanks Gman...I have been successful on a couple of doubles. I have thrown lead at fleeing hogs plenty of times and have occasionally got one or two, but over the course of time I've about decided to take the "bird in the Hand"...as you can see I hunt in some thick stuff and I've found from my side I do better to just take what I can get and not waste rounds (I usually kill more trees than hogs when they are running. I do go for more than one when they get lined up and I like doing that every chance I get. I've been struggling with the close shots ( I usually do a 50 yd zero and this shot was at 35 yds. Hey thanks for the comments, your never to old to learn and with hogs I have found out THAT WHEN I THINK I GOT THEM FIGURED OUT, THEY SHOW ME I DON'T KNOW SQUAT.

Back