Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3216311 - 10/26/19 09:28 PM Hunting Starlings?
pintaildrake Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Southern Illinois
Hey gents,

How many of yall actively hunt starlings? They have always been on my hit list. My brothers and I use to shoots 100's of them every weekend when they went to roost. Have any of yall ever used starling decoys? Do you make your own starling decoys? I've had several friends clean and cook them, and have raved about how they turned out. I just like to shoot them myself.

I did find last year, you could call them using my FoxPro. That made for some interesting shoots. It's getting pretty close to time to see the massive flocks of them in my area, with crops coming out of the fields I'm noticing more every day.

#3216468 - 10/28/19 11:46 AM Re: Hunting Starlings? [Re: pintaildrake]
2milehighguy Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: high country colorado
Donít Ďhuntí them , but blast a lot of em off our farm buildings. Iíve told people the breasts are good sized and look edible. Maybe sometime Iíll try em.

Would like to hear about the calling. What sound?

#3216792 - 10/31/19 04:03 AM Re: Hunting Starlings? [Re: pintaildrake]
Kenlguy Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: central WA
Originally Posted By: pintaildrake

I've had several friends clean and cook them, and have raved about how they turned out

Cats and dogs won't even eat them. That's a good enough reason not to as far as I'm concerned.

But yeah, I love plinking at them and flock shooting them every chance I get.

#3216796 - 10/31/19 07:24 AM Re: Hunting Starlings? [Re: 2milehighguy]
BillfromHighland Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Illinois unfortunately
My old Alpha Dog has a "starling in distress" call. Works very well on them and especially during their nesting season.

#3216814 - 10/31/19 10:09 AM Re: Hunting Starlings? [Re: pintaildrake]
marco Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: AR.
17HMR!!!!

#3216837 - 10/31/19 01:05 PM Re: Hunting Starlings? [Re: marco]
tripod3 Online
PM senior

Loc: WA
Starlings are a Dirty Bird and an invasive species. They won't be on my menu, just in my sights.

Starlings carry a host of diseases, many transferable to livestock, but several that can infect humans. ... Starling droppings, like those of many other, may contain histoplasmosis fungus. Histoplasmosis is a disease affecting the lungs that can be fatal if left untreated.Mar 22, 2011

The European Starling transmits five bacterial diseases including Salmonellosis, fungal diseases, blastonycosis, and histoplasmosis. They also carry the protozoan disease toxoplasmosis and chlamydiosis. Starlings spread fowl pox to poultry, swing gastroenteritis tapeworms and other livestock diseases.

https://www.creaturecontrol.net/starlings-and-their-diseases/

#3216961 - 11/01/19 02:07 PM Re: Hunting Starlings? [Re: pintaildrake]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
I'd have to be pretty close to starving to death before I ate a starling. But if you say they are good, I'll just take your word for it.

Ain't that right Winny

#3217083 - 11/03/19 02:07 AM Re: Hunting Starlings? [Re: pintaildrake]
crazyyote Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: ohio
I hunt them on my suet feeders. As stated they are an invasive species. Of course they are a hoot to shoot too. I use an RWS airgun because I'm in the 'burbs. My Dachshund loves to retrieve them or give them the coup de gras. It's an absolute blast for me and the dog. (He's a killer!!)

© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.