springer pellrt gun

shermanrm

Looking for a good springer. Have so many tweety birds eating my chicken feed it is getting very expensive. Does anyone have a recommendation. I have an old Crossman pump that is not doing the job.

Lots of good springer rifles out there. Anything from budget friendly to WOW I could have bought a new center fire rifle for that much money. Look at Pyramid Air. They have lots of options.

We use to shoot air rifles at the club on Thursday night. Alot of the guys shot Benjamin PCP rifles and they are very accurate and not to expensive. Some shot the FWB springers. They can get a little pricey for springer rifles but they are nice.

Springers can be powerful and accurate, most require practice to hold correctly for repeatable accuracy.
Springers can also be scope killers,but are not tied to an air source.
PCP's are not hold sensative or scope killers. They do require an air source.
pnuematics are not hold sensative but take a lot of pumping.

RWS is the best I've ever had. Gamo and Beeman make an ok pellet gun. Nothing special really. My RWS on the other hand could shoot through 3/4" plywood and shatter a jolly rancher or sucker stuck in the ground at 50 yards. Killed thousands upon thousands of birds and other small critters with that pellet gun.

I bought a RWS 34 in 22 last year. I have been more than pleased! I put a cheap red dot on it I had laying around and for aiming at birds or chipmunks, it's deadly. I've made some impressive long shots too. One day I'll get a true air gun scope and I'll be able to define a sight picture much better, but this is awesome! You should be able to find one for under 300.

Thanks for the info.
The protected list helps a lot although I believe that what comes in to eat my chicken feed are mostly house sparrows that are unprotected in Nevada.

The Feds ought to publish the list of non-protected birds and save us time and paper!

I just fell into a .177 cal. springer. It shocked me when I looked it up. It’s a Feinworkbau -Sporter. They just started making them recently. Mine is from some years ago but the current copies are priced @ $799.00

Holy moly!

Who would have thunk you would need an armed guard for a pellet gun?

Three 44s

Last edited:
Friends don't let friends buy break barrel air rifles. Pumps have gone down so much in price there is almost no reason to not get a PCP. Benjamin Maximus, Diana Stormrider, Beeman 1322, Hatsan flash.......all would be great. Bite the bullet once on getting a pump and it will open a whole other door in air rifle shooting.

Whichever you buy, be careful! One springer leads to another, and then a PCP & then another PCP & then a big bore and then...
wink.gif

I have a Gamo springer in 177 and have been using for 10 yrs. I have been using cheaper rifle scopes on it. I have a Barska 6x-24x on it now and I can hit starlings out to 75 yds. The doves in my neighbor hood have my picture up at their community center, they see me and they are gone. For the 125 bucks I spent on it, I would buy another Gamo if this one ever dies.
Tarey

The FWB springers are not your WalMart or Bass Pro air rifles. Very good quality rifles. PCP rifles are great but the cost of an air tank is almost as much if not more than the rifle. Then you have to pay to have them filled. Not a deal breaker but something to think about.

Back