Tripod recommendation

CallingArkansas

I’m looking to bye a tripod that will extend tall enough to use when standing and will also hold my rifle, hands free.

What’s your recommendations?

I have had several and recommend the Field Optics Research tripod with bowl head and leveling base. It is a low profile design that is very stable. Simple, solid and NO wobble. Quality seems very good for the price.

They also offer a military/law enforcement discount if that would be of interest. No affiliation just a satisfied customer! Good luck

I own a Manfrotto Pro 055, a Night Stalker, and my buddy has the Slik. I've used all 3 quite a bit. Of these, IMO, the Manfrotto is the best, Slik is 2nd, Night Stalker is 3rd.
Not knocking the Night Stalker at all, it is a decent entry level tripod and it will be hard to beat the tripod/ballhead price. But the Night Stalker is just not as rigid as the Slik, and not even close in quality to the Manfrotto.
You can get a Slik for $99.00 just about everywhere, add a decent ballhead for $150.00 or maybe even a little less.
As far as hands free, I use the Pig Saddle on the Night Stalker. The above mentioned Reaper Grip is similar, both are clamp style.
But for the best stability look into a direct mount. You will need to add a connection point to your rifle, I have a picatinny rail on my rifle and a Cretac picatinny rail to Arca Swiss adapter that clamps directly onto the ballhead on my Manfrotto. Mlock and Keymod rails are two other options that mount pretty much the same way but I don't have any experience with either of those.
A direct mount will be less expensive that a clamp style mount, and IMO it is better. The biggest disadvantage is that you can only use rifles that are set up to direct mount and with the clamp style you can pretty much use any rifle.

Last edited:
I too have a Manfrotto with a Hog saddle. Probably end up going Arca soon. Most my guns are dedicated/special purpose anyway.

Originally Posted By: reb8600If you can afford it and don't mind the wait, take a look at the Night Stalker from Night Goggles. They are a sponsor here as well. I like mine.

I agree I like my Night Stalker, I coupled mine with a Reaper grip. Probably going to add a Arca soon as well.

The most popular setup I have seen is the feisol 3372 legs with your choice of head. RRS seems to be the most popular. Yes you can spend close to 1k on these combos but those cheaper options won’t be as stabile either.

Last edited:
The Night Stalker is light and stable. If you shoot standing a lot, and don't walk a long ways, then the Night Stalker Pro is a great option as it is even more stable. I run ARCA swiss plates on all my guns.

Originally Posted By: KirschThe Night Stalker is light and stable. If you shoot standing a lot, and don't walk a long ways, then the Night Stalker Pro is a great option as it is even more stable. I run ARCA swiss plates on all my guns.

Question as I run same tripod with reaper grip but am thinking of switching my stuff to ARCA. How to you attach the small pic rail to bottom of stocks on bolt rifles. Do you drill and epoxy them in ??

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSQuestion as I run same tripod with reaper grip but am thinking of switching my stuff to ARCA. How to you attach the small pic rail to bottom of stocks on bolt rifles. Do you drill and epoxy them in ?? I do have 2 bolt guns that I have set up with ARCA plates. I was fortunate that with both of them I was able to use one of the existing stock screws. I removed the ARCA plate screw, and ran the stock screw through the Arca plate. This worked as long as there was enough thread length.

The stock could be drilled as you said as well.
arca_bolt.jpg

Originally Posted By: CallingArkansasI’m looking to bye a tripod that will extend tall enough to use when standing and will also hold my rifle, hands free.

What’s your recommendations?

Lot's of options out there, some much better than others... What is your budget for this project?

Back