Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!!

Our coyote numbers in southern California are way up. We have had three years in a row of good rainfall. More quail than I have seen in a long time and the rabbit, mice and rat numbers are way up also. Coyote scat and tracks are all over the roads.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOur coyote numbers in southern California are way up. We have had three years in a row of good rainfall. More quail than I have seen in a long time and the rabbit, mice and rat numbers are way up also. Coyote scat and tracks are all over the roads.

This is what I'm seeing here in Northern California as well. Scat is everywhere and coyotes are howling all over the place at night.

I'll be getting out regularly here in a couple of weeks.

I just came back from a MC ride here in southern NM and saw coyote out in a plowed field just wandering around sniffing the world at 1:00 in the afternoon. Little does he know he is on my list for after the first of Nov.

I heard a report last night of a guy calling 9 coyotes and one bobcat in Elko county Nevada in a one day hunt. Does that change anyone’s opinion about the numbers being low?

No one is suggesting there are no coyotes left. No one is suggesting there are not still pockets of coyotes in certain areas. What some are suggesting is the numbers overall are down in many areas. This suggestion comes from people who have put many hours in for many years.

That is possible if you hit the right spots, we found coyotes everyday while we were there. But in the ideal calling areas that we did really well in last year coyotes were nearly non-existent. Where we were calling and had multiple responses last year we had none or just singles. We camped out every night and the number of coyotes calling at night were far fewer.

A good caller that knows the country and puts in a good day I'd say that would be very possible. How many did he kill? We had four dog mornings but only killed two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEThought I read somewhere the feds have been laying waist to the predator population in Northern Nevada? Grizz

If you remember let me know where you heard that or read that, thanks!

I was told that the sheep and cattlemans associations got together and hired aerial gunners to work over the coyotes last winter on private land/leases. But that was just hearsay, I have no hard evidence to support that.

My theory is that when the rabbit population took a drastic nose dive, coyote litters were substantially smaller or didn't servive. We found coyote where there was grass and trees (mice and squirrels) and places that still had some rabbit sign in them, it was heavy sage with grass under it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSI was told that the sheep and cattlemans associations got together and hired aerial gunners to work over the coyotes last winter on private land/leases. But that was just hearsay, I have no hard evidence to support that.

My theory is that when the rabbit population took a drastic nose dive, coyote litters were substantially smaller or didn't servive. We found coyote where there was grass and trees (mice and squirrels) and places that still had some rabbit sign in them, it was heavy sage with grass under it.

I heard that hearsay too but I highly doubt it. I think it’s the declines of rabbits coupled with drought.

That’s just how it works some years. Now you just have to hunt a lot harder and a lot smarter to kill your Coyotes. A Concept that is quite Foreign to a lot of the newer Predator Callers......

Last edited:
I hear the population is up in Utah due to all the locals hunting Nevada and turning the coyotes in for the bounty.
Just hear say.
wink.gif

Sorry, i couldn't help myself.
tt2.gif
lol.gif

Yeah I hear that the Nevada Guys couldn’t keep the Coyote numbers in check so the Utah guys had to go show them how to do it...I guess we did the job to well. But that’s just hear say....
tt2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: g BoAerial gunning is nothing new, it happens every year.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
smirk.gif
confused.gif
Exactly why I don’t believe the cattleman’s association rumor

My Brother went out last Friday and he didn't call anything. He said the area he was in always produced in the past.
A kid I work with went out last weekend and covered a considerable amount of Northeastern Nevada and he didn't call anything either.

I haven't had time to go out but plan on starting in another week.

If it was the plaque, that would be a pretty severe case to wipe out as big of area as Brett says the fish and game told him. A case that big would be all over the news. I highly doubt that is the case. A few rodents and couple people in Utah had it a few years ago and it was big news. Nothing has been said about it this year other than this post.

I think we are talking about a different plaque that doesn't effect humans also. Periodically Prairie Dogs get a plague that will wipe out whole areas of them. The New Zealand government releases a plague to control rabbits, NO I'm not suggesting that someone released a rabbit plague. But that there are plagues other than the one carried buy rodents that effect humans (when we breath the dust from their dropping) that infect animals. You rarely hear about large die off of prairie dogs except by PD shooters never on the news.

Link to rabbit virus/plague to control rabbits.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43221704

Last edited:
Back