Need your input on these two scopes

CallingArkansas

Looking for some input on these two scopes for my 1st night hunting scope. Let me know your thoughts.

1) atn-x-sight-4k-5-20x-pro-edtn-day-night-smart-rifle-scope - Total cost out the door is $635
Add a atn-ir-illuminator-ir850-pro-with-adjustable-mount - Total cost out the door is $130
Total for both out the door is $765

2) atn-thor-lt-4-8x-thermal-rifle-scope - Total cost out the door is $1100

Look through it in a store, IMO the ATN is pretty grainy and thermal scopes in general are worth spending a little little more money on to get a more clear view to identify what your target. For my eyes at least you have to get up into the 3k + range before clarity is clear enough for me with the brands I looked at.

Thanks fellows. I kinda figured I was looking at inadequate optics. Arkansas just legalized night hunting this September. I’m more eager to get some new optics than I can afford to be. Lol. I guess I’ll keep trying these red lights until I can afford a quality thermal.

I am no expert by any means, but I recently bought an x-sight 4k pro 5-20x and have been very impressed with it. All the reviews said it was a substantial upgrade to the previous model. I can easily positively identify and shoot a coyote out beyond 250 yards with the included illuminator. No I haven't used a bunch of other models, but for the price it is works really well for me.

here are a couple videos out of mine all with the included illuminator. Makes sure you watch them in 1080p to get the best idea of the clarity. I even feel that the image is more crisp in the scope itself.

Originally Posted By: zheltonAtn is no good.. waste of money.
I totally and respectfully disagree. Mine has been both good and worth the money. ATN has been (in the past at least) plagued with customer service problems and quality problems which continue to leave a bad taste. They have improved in recent times in both categories, and my recent experience has been good in dealing with them. ATN’s biggest issue seems to be “time” required to replace a scope. As to “no good” / quality, well, they have had issues, but so has the famous Pulsar, mainly with the Trail models not holding zero. One member recently reported that he is now using his Trail as a spotter since it won’t hold zero even after software updates, and if I remember correctly, a new scope didn’t solve it either. People have been reporting poor CS with Flir too.

The 4k is a pretty good scope for the money. It’s not perfect, but good. I have the 3-14x model and like it very well. It is a definite improvement over the X-Sight 2 which I also had. I don’t know of a better scope in the same category (digital) for the money as the 4k, considering zoom, ballistic calculator that works really well, eye relief, 18 hour internal battery, one button push for video with audio, and that accepts 30mm scope rings.

The Wraith, as mentioned, seems to be a good scope and the resolution very good. However, while it has video, it does not have audio. Battery drain is worse than the 4k, but it does have an external battery jack.

Digital Night Vision is Ok for what it is. They don't work well as scanners especially with a 5x base mag. Personally, I don't like messing with lights of any kind. This applies to the ATN 4K as well as the Wraith. If you live in an area where mistaking a fox for a coyote could be a large issue, then NV can be a good option.

As far as the Thor ATN LT, 160 x 120 res is very poor for a thermal scope. This is very low. If you have any humidity at all, this is going to be virtually worthless. With thermal, you get what you pay for. There is a reason this is the cheapest weapon's thermal to date. For thermal, I would save my money for something better.

Originally Posted By: KirschDigital Night Vision is Ok for what it is. They don't work well as scanners especially with a 5x base mag. Personally, I don't like messing with lights of any kind. This applies to the ATN 4K as well as the Wraith. If you live in an area where mistaking a fox for a coyote could be a large issue, then NV can be a good option.

As far as the Thor ATN LT, 160 x 120 res is very poor for a thermal scope. This is very low. If you have any humidity at all, this is going to be virtually worthless. With thermal, you get what you pay for. There is a reason this is the cheapest weapon's thermal to date. For thermal, I would save my money for something better.

Amen to that, totally agree.

Follow up: you mentioned the ATN illuminator at $130. You can get a very good illuminator for considerably less money. Not sure about a package price being less, however.

Also, 5x base magnification is a lot and field of view is narrow. If you hunt areas where shots are generally under 100 yards, you would be better off with the 3-14x model.

Back