Black coyote. 1st time seeing one in Indiana.

Just saw my first black yote. I've had a single coyote behind my house for a couple weeks mousing around. The other day my brother was deer hunting behind my house,and the coyote must of seen him and started warning barking. so I pulled up the binos and was watching him. Out of the corner of my eye I caught movement and saw 3 more coyotes heading for the cornfield. One of them was black,but I wasn't 100% for sure, until later in the day I saw him again with another regular colered yote. Guess I better get to calling. Just wanted to share this story.

That's great. I've killed 3 over the years and they are always a special take. Hope you get chance to whack him.

A real trophy for sure. My first called coyote was a beautiful black one, but it was not meant to be. He got away from me without me firing a shot.

Hope to be seeing some photos of you holding him soon.

Hopefully if time permits my brother and i'll give it a try. It looks like I have one resident coyote. I always see this short haired scraggly coyote behind my house mousing and stopping to scratch. Probably has mange. But yesterday I saw a different coyote playing well actually chasing a plastic bag around the field. It was funny watching him. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't have a real clue of what is going on with this many coyotes behind my house. I've seen a total of 4 at one time. That was including the black one. Wind has to be perfect here or you'll get busted very quickly. They either will come from the north, west, or east. Never from the south, direction of my house. I just hope I get a chance at the black one.

Would you guys agree that black coyotes mostly occur in the southeast quadrant of the country? For example from east Texas over to Florida up to Virginia and back over to Missouri would be where are you most likely to see a black one?

Yes that area has the most black phase, but a few have been killed in upper east. I have seen quite a few on trail cam pics in SC but never got a shot at one. I called one in but the wife was in the way of my shot, she couldn't see it the she was sitting. I want one, BAD.

I'm no expert on colored phase coyotes, but the little research I've done on them it seems their more common down south. I have a family memeber that has been trapping for 30+ years and he has never seen or caught a black coyote here in Indiana.

Back