Wyoming Coyotes

BrianID

I had a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming this last week and couldn't resist calling in some coyotes while I was there. I was able to get 4 in the three days I was suppose to be hunting pronghorn. If I was a little better, I could have easily double the number of coyotes. After not killing a coyote for about 4 months, It was fun to get after coyotes again.

The pair in the picture below came in really slow. After 35 minutes of calling on the stand I was about to give up but decided to scan with my binoculars before getting up. I spotted these two coyotes moving in but they were still over 1000 yards out. I hadn't called for over 5 minutes so I did a few distressed rabbit screams and they picked up the pace. At about 500 yards they split up and I lost view of one of them in the sage. At about 200 yards the female started circling downwind so I dropped her before she caught my wind. I had lost sight of the male but immediately started calling after the shot, hoping to stop him for a shot. He ended up being held up and 500 yards out and started to come in hard, thinking his mate had something going on. I was very surprised to see him come in because I was shooting an AR10 6mm Creedmoor with a muzzle brake that is loud. I was able to drop him when he stopped at about 200 yards. Dropped the male 43 minutes after I started calling. Stands like this remind me to be patient when I know I'm in a good spot and give a stand a little longer than I normally would.
5584-F72-E-593-E-49-D3-8-B06-42994-A04-C6-D7.jpg

Bear,

Fur wasn't really good yet. Still better than any of the Southern NM coyotes.

weekender,

I did find a pronghorn that I was happy with. He isn't an 80"+ buck but I'm happy with him. The only hunters that don't get a pronghorn in Wyoming are either really bad shots, give up without trying more than a few hours or are too picky about horn size.

EDCE75-A7-0-B6-F-4-A7-C-9-BF9-A1-A2-D570310-C.jpg

AD2-B2-E1-A-6-C93-4-B71-A1-D3-FEFAF0-E3-C389.jpg

I don't know anything about pronghorn but that one looks nice.

Where roughly were you hunting?

My son is stationed out there in Cheyenne, we visited for the first time during CFD's and the wife and I loved the area. Wish we could move out there but we have a home and other property here in FL as well as lots of family. My daughter and her husband are wanting to get out there as well... maybe some day.

My son has really enjoyed duck hunting out there and I was supposed to join him this month but an unexpected costly jeep repair bill trashed that idea (his Jeep, but I helped him with the bill).

Back