Concealed Carry question?

Winnie 70

I went and took the Concealed Carry class the first of the year, passed, and went to sheriff office and got my permit to purchase a handgun Got this permit on March 29, 2019 and am just getting around to making a purchase. My question is, when I make this purchase what do I do to get a license, the card you carry in your wallet at all times if you are carrying? Do I go back to sheriff dept. and get this license with proof of purchase? Who issues this license, how do I go about getting?

Knowing nothing about NC laws, I suggest you make a phone call to the Sheriff's Office and ask those questions. Surely they could steer you in the right direction.

Boy am I glad I live in OHIO. You take a CCW class and go see the Sheriff.
I got my CCW card in 2 weeks.
Now, I can buy any firearm without a background check.
Just fill out the 4473 and go home.
Good for 5 years $100.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Good for 5 years $100.

Do they still have to call in the 4473? In Oklahoma even with the permit they still call in your purchase after the 4473 is filled out. Wished it was different even though mine always go right through.

The Fed's found that non citizen types had been issued permit to carry pistol in Minnesota, so the Fed's pulled the 4473 no call status for all Mn permit holders.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: willy1947

Good for 5 years $100.

Do they still have to call in the 4473? In Oklahoma even with the permit they still call in your purchase after the 4473 is filled out. Wished it was different even though mine always go right through.

No, they do not have to call it in at all.
I just fill out the form 4473.
They make a copy of my CCW and Driver License
They did a background check with my CCW.

I have my CCW but when I buy a gun from an FFL, I still have to do the paper work and it still has to be called in for approval. Doesn't make a lot of sense but thats how it works in Oklahoma. Usually takes about 5-10 minutes. No big deal.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have my CCW but when I buy a gun from an FFL, I still have to do the paper work and it still has to be called in for approval. Doesn't make a lot of sense but thats how it works in Oklahoma. Usually takes about 5-10 minutes. No big deal.

From what I've heard when Oklahoma set up our CCW they screwed something up and the feds said you still have to call in the 4473 because of it.

Give a call to your sheriffs office.
Here in PA you don't need a ccw class just fill out the application and give to the sheriff's office.

If approved you get it in the mail.
And you still have to fill out 4473 and go through nics check to purchase a firearm.

Originally Posted By: Winnie 70I went and took the Concealed Carry class the first of the year, passed, and went to sheriff office and got my permit to purchase a handgun Got this permit on March 29, 2019 and am just getting around to making a purchase. My question is, when I make this purchase what do I do to get a license, the card you carry in your wallet at all times if you are carrying? Do I go back to sheriff dept. and get this license with proof of purchase? Who issues this license, how do I go about getting?

Did they not teach this in your class ? If not they should have....

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Good for 5 years $100.

In America, the State doesn't sell your rights back to you, nor do they require you to take a class for something the Forefathers wrote down 2 centuries ago! I am so glad to be moving from a permit-less carry State to another.

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: pyscodog
willy1947 said:
Good for 5 years $100.

No, they do not have to call it in at all.
I just fill out the form 4473.
They make a copy of my CCW and Driver License
They did a background check with my CCW.

That's the way they do it in NC. Here in Virginia we have to fill out the 4473 and a state form then they call in the background check. For about the past 15 years every time I buy a gun when they do the background check I'm delayed about an hour. In NC I fill out the 4473 the dealer makes a copy of my drivers license and CHP and out the door I go.

Originally Posted By: catmechOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI have my CCW but when I buy a gun from an FFL, I still have to do the paper work and it still has to be called in for approval. Doesn't make a lot of sense but thats how it works in Oklahoma. Usually takes about 5-10 minutes. No big deal.

From what I've heard when Oklahoma set up our CCW they screwed something up and the feds said you still have to call in the 4473 because of it.

This doesn't surprise me. LOL

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsIn Iowa you either get a permit to acquire or a permit to carry. Look at your card or paper work and see what it says.

I wasn't aware that you could still get just a permit to
acquire...thought they had changed everything over to a carry
permit. Just bought a pistol this week by using the "Iowa
Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons".

Back