Savage Axis ?

CallingArkansas

What can some of you tell me about the Savage Axis? I just won two in 6.5 CR. and know nothing about the Axis. Have not picked them up from the store yet. Just wondering what the pros and cons are for this gun. Not interested in caliber discussions, just pros and cons on the guns. I may try and trade them for something else at the store when they come in. I’ve been thinking about a Tikka 3 Lite or T/C Venture in .243 for a new coyote rifle.

I have a Savage Axis II. The one with the wood stock. It's an accurate rifle,smooth action and good trigger. My buddy has a Savage Axis with the plastic stock. It's just as accurate as mine is. That's about all I know to say about them. They're nothing pretty but like any Savage rifle I've ever been around they'll shoot good. I suppose that's all we can ask of any of them.

They are a great rifle. Mine is the XPII with the Accutrigger, and is a tack driver. The plastic stocks are pretty flimsy, but other than that, they are well worth the money. Mine shot so good that I put it in a Boyd's laminate stock. All that being said.....the T/C Venture is a better rifle by a pretty good margin.

Only con is the flimsy stock. I have one in 223 that is an absolute tack driver with many loads. I put a checkered walnut boyds stock on it. If I had to do it over again I would have just put a plain jane nutmeg laminate one on it. It looks sharp though now and feels like a rifle.

The Axis II has an Accutrigger while the original Axis has the standard trigger. The two complaints on the original were the flexy stock and the heavy trigger. The new Axis stock is stiffer, but still has some flex. The trigger can be modified by getting a lighter spring upgrade for about $10. I have an original Axis in left hand that I replaced the trigger spring and rebarreled to .250 Savage. It is a light handy rifle and very accurate.

Originally Posted By: CallingArkansasWhat can some of you tell me about the Savage Axis? I just won two in 6.5 CR. and know nothing about the Axis. Have not picked them up from the store yet. Just wondering what the pros and cons are for this gun. Not interested in caliber discussions, just pros and cons on the guns. I may try and trade them for something else at the store when they come in. I’ve been thinking about a Tikka 3 Lite or T/C Venture in .243 for a new coyote rifle.

Congratulations on winning a pair of rifles! I have an original "Edge" in 308 and an Axis in 223. They are both incredibly accurate with factory ammo and handloads. The stock is what you should expect for a rifle that retails for $260. Of course it's going to be flimsy, you're not going to get a McMillan or HS Precision on a value line rifle. The local Walmart has the stainless 6.5 CM for $296.

I also have a Tikka T3x SL in 6.5 CM and it is a very well built rifle for the $700+ I paid for it, it too has a plastic stock.

I doubt you'll be able to trade two axis for a Tikka at a store as with all prizes, there is a street value and a wholesale cost. The Axis are probably at $225 for dealer cost, meaning that's what the gun store will pay from a distributor. They'll probably give you about $400 store credit towards another rifle.

That being said, I'd keep one, sell the other and use the money for a decent scope and the shoot the life out of it. They are accurate.

Back