Bad Moon Rising

DoubleUp

This is the video of my kill on Oct. 14, that I didn't get recorded, but I finally got the video from my hunting partner. I had seen a coyote mousing in the field earlier in the day, but he was too far for a shot in the windy conditions that day. The field roads were wet and I didn't want to cut them up trying to get closer, so we went back right at dark since the full moon was going to rise in a few minutes.

About 30 seconds in and coyote must have been asleep in the edge of the woods as he came right out to the call. I forgot to turn on the DVR when I started the call. My partner forgot to load his rifle, and so he clicks on the shot, but doesn't try to chamber another round with his AR. Coyote stops again and I shoot but must have hit a branch. He spooks and runs a little way, but the Varminter 4.0 is quiet enough that he is confused and stops to look back. At my shot my partner cycles his AR and by the time he gets back on my second shot has done the work.

I've hit that same branch several times myself.
Nice follow up shot.
My buddy and I have both clicked on an empty chamber this season.

That's the one thing I really don't like about an AR. It is so hard to load one quietly and be sure that it is going to go bang.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThat's the one thing I really don't like about an AR. It is so hard to load one quietly and be sure that it is going to go bang.

I ease the round in then use the forward assist to make sure that the bolt is fully seated. It's pretty quiet that way.

I generally carry a spare round in my pocket and remove the magazine and load that single round by dropping it in and then as you say using the forward assist to be sure it is seated. Still it isn't like being able to do it quietly the way a bolt action can do it, but I sure like the quick follow-ups.

Back