First ones a spinner!

Tracker0721

Heading to pour concrete yesterday and in a field where I’ve been asked to hunt coyotes is a coyote out mousing! Jump out with my 22-250, get a quick rest, coyotes staring at about 150 yards, I shoot and he starts loping away(missed high, was a bit excited) bark and stop him as I cycle the bolt and shoot another round into his chest. He took the hit hard, but then started jumping circles, then bolted into the trees. Son of a gun. Ran up the road, poured the mud, came back and talked to the owner, walked out to find the coyote and there’s the nastiest swamp back there in the trees. Spent half an hour and could’ve stepped right past him and never seen him. Soooo first coyote of the fur season is crow food, let’s hope the next drop!

Tikka t3 lite 22-250
40 grain Nosler BT with a charge of varget

Seen it happen many times myself. Hopefully it gets better from here on out.

As for you walking past it and not even realizing it,yes. It's a lot easier to do than people would think. I've killed coyotes stone dead in taller grass and had trouble finding them. It happens.

I usually kill a few dozen a year but haven’t shot a coyote since like January. Maybe even December. Glad it still gives me the little rush haha. And yeah, I need my snow so I can find the little blood spray. Those 40 grains enter and blow up with no exit so skinning is easy but they leave practically no blood outside!

Why use a little light bullet on coyotes with your 22-250?

50 and 55 gr bullets with a 22-250 hit much harder than the lighter bullets do and they are still plenty fast enough.

I chose the 40 grain because it’s what my 222 likes(primary coyote gun) and out of my 22-250 it usually blows up like a grenade inside with no pelt damage. But most of my shots are on called dogs so I dunno, usually does the trick. I got a deal on like 1400 of these bullets and a few hundred pieces of brass

Originally Posted By: Tracker0721I chose the 40 grain because it’s what my 222 likes(primary coyote gun) and out of my 22-250 it usually blows up like a grenade inside with no pelt damage. But most of my shots are on called dogs so I dunno, usually does the trick. I got a deal on like 1400 of these bullets and a few hundred pieces of brass

.222 is my caliber of choice, as well. What 40 grain are you using? I have found that it can be challenging to get a bullet that gets enough penetration, without exiting. I use 50 gr. sp, mostly, but usually get an exit, though it is usually small (as long as it isn't a spine shot). V-max can make a big exit, or none, depending on angle. I tried 35 gr. but had poor penetration on chest shots.

I’m using the Nosler ballistic tip. Got nearly 1,000 in trade plus some 50 grain SP I may load up. I’ve got about 100 loaded up for my 222 but I’m down to 18 for the 22-250 so I may load up some 50s and try those

Back