Hate to start a rumor...

Well, you can flame me if you want, but I been to two different reloading shops that carry a lot of powder and both are telling me they can't get Varget. I also saw on the internet that there was a small fire. You have to sign in to the newspaper to read the full article and I didn't. One shop told me that there was a large shipment of Varget but it went to a major supplier and they didn't know who it was. Believe it or not, no skin off my nose, but it wouldn't hurt to buy a little extra if you have any doubts. Rumor or truth????? Who knows but what I do know is there was no Varget on either of their racks. The third place I went to today had some and I got another pound. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I've heard.

Herington Times, Herington Kansas, try finding it for yourself.

I just checked Powder Valley. They had 3 one pound jugs and no 8 pounders. Something is going on.

Fixed it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog............SOmething is going on.

Ok. I'll be your huckleberry.

I once again just spoke with Hodgdon a few minutes ago and explained to the guy that I spoke with about the internet rumors of no Varget due to a fire at a Hodgdon facility in Herrington, KS that some people were insistent on keeping in the line light. He told me that the facility did have a small fire but that it was in a building that only housed IMR powders and there was little damage done. And no Varget was involved.

He did say that Varget is in short supply right now but not due to any fire anywhere. He went on to say that the internet rumor has caused a rush on Varget and people who normally might buy 1-2 pounds are now buying it in bulk lots as a result. He said that Varget is produced once a month and as soon as the internet rumors die down and the panic subsides that the normal Varget supply will once again balance itself out.

So maybe "SOmething" is nothing more than internet rumors if this guy is to be believed.

In addition, I was in a reloading shop near me today and they had six pounds on the shelf which is about what I normally see there. When I inquired, they had heard the rumor too, but the counter guy told me so far no one is panicking and walking into their place and trying to clean them out and that they have received notice that 8 more pounds were shipped to them yesterday in their normal powder run. I have no idea where they get it from, whether its direct from Hodgdon or from a middle man.

He also told me that because of the rumors that if anyone does walk in and tries to buy everything on the shelf that the owner has told the counter people to limit sales to 2 pounds with a simple explanation that the powder is in short supply right now due to internet rumors about a fire. Once again, he also told me that so far that no one has tried buying everything that they have on the shelf.

Thanks for a clearing that up. I for one am glad that its just a supply and demand problem and not a fire.

The SO was just me not getting off the key fast enough not intentional. Just not the greatest typist and I don't have a proof reader either.

Thanks for the actual facts.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog

Thanks for the actual facts.

^^^^
+1

as a former boss of mine used to like to say a lot

"nothing screws up an argument like the facts"

Back