The Glory Days

GRIZZLYONE

What happened to the state of predator hunting in California we are really under assault right now. Been thinking back on my 40 plus years being a member of the old CVCA California Varmint Callers Association. I'm not sure when the founding chapter, the Pasadena chapter started sometime in the 1960's maybe even the late 50's. I joined in the late 1970's. As far as I know the CVCA was the first club of it's kind but I'm not certain.

At one time there were eight Chapters and I was a proud member of Coast Chapter the design on our chapter patch was a coyote on a surf board dodging a bullet. Below is a photo of my club jacket no way in he11 I could ever fit in it now. The requirement was it had to be a tan, light brown, or off white Levis Jacket.

Back in them days there were no seasons on this, seasons on that, no limits and Mt Lions were fair game. Loosing the Mt Lion was the first thing to go. What always struck me as being strange is we were, and still are allowed to hunt at night in most of the state but the way things have been going, I'm sure that will be outlawed soon.

As a young hunter the book in the photo below was the must have hand book for novice predator callers. Written by Jim Dougherty, this book goes over predator calling techniques, guns, loads and covers some the history of the CVCA the predator calling contest and champions. The book also covers some of the Arizona vs California competition hunts that took place on both sides of the border in the area of the Colorado River. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that California was once a predator callers paradise for a long, long time. I miss the old days. Grizz
BzCZxcw.jpg
aHIiWVy.jpg

It’s a sad day to see this happening. Calfornia has dropped off the edge of sanity and common sense. The rest of the country will follow if people don’t stop this leftist movement.

It's happening everywhere. Didn't AZ ban bobcat hunting too, and no night hunting? All forums that are gun or gun related are dying. Forums that were a great source of information/learning barely see a few new posts a day.

In 10 years the US hunting/gun laws will look a lot like the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI bet in those days you didn't have the Firearm regulations either.
I remember the days when you could order a firearm from Sears or any other mail order catalog and the rural mail carrier would deliver it to your door.

When I first began teaching school I would take nice rifles into the school and teachers would release boys interested to come to a particular class where I would show them and educate them a little about calibers, rifles and such.

Not sure if Arizona ever allowed night hunting. As far as CA gun laws and on top of all the semi auto BS first it was a ten day wait on hand guns, then one hand gun a month unless it was a privet party transfer. Then a ten day wait on both hand guns and long guns. And now along with signing the bobcat ban, the a$$ hat just signed a one gun per month both hand gun or long gun bill.

We all know this is not going to lower the crime rate or stop mass shootings this is just harassment of the gun and hunting culture and it's coming to a state near you. All this while felons are given more rights employers are not allowed to learn if a new hire is a felon. The Robbery and homicide rate is through the roof with their so called "prison realignment" policy's basically emptying the prisons cause they don't want to spend the money on building more prisons all they want to spend money on are handouts for illegal's. They won't cooperate with the feds on immigration so you have all these killers up from mexico not being deported or some how stopped.

States rights out of control. States rights should have to fall in line with the US Constitution.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI bet in those days you didn't have the Firearm regulations either.

IDK, skinney!? One of my most memorable events during a visit to Riverside, CA during WWII was when my aunt informed me that the "brandishing" of a toy cap pistol by (this) child could land us in jail. Sure made an impression on this 8 YO native Texan kid!
scared.gif
And so it was in the beginning.....

Regards,
hm

We are seeing the same things here in Mass. Layers of conflicting rules that can trip you up. Now the DFW is proposing a ban on predator hunting contests, and a "wanton waste" regulation that says you must use the coyotes you kill. Also all kills must be reported in 48 hrs. Crap. They haven't added crows and skunks yet. We have no fur buyers here that I've been able to find that will buy coyotes in the round, and I haven't got the the space to put up fur. Like Cal. this was once a great hunting and gun state. We had concealed carry before most other states, and a tradition of open land for hunting. I'm trying to convince my wife to sell out and move 100 miles or more north, but so far no luck there.

Sorry to say but social media is killing sport hunting. Back in the day we did all the same stuff, but only took polaroids of our hunts to share with friends. The general public didn't see it, therefore had no problems with it. Although we are doing nothing wrong, hunting is not for everyone. In the past 10 years I've really noticed a downward path for how hunting is viewed. About the same time frame social media has really developed. We have far too many people blasting instagram and facebook with everything they shoot, which in turn gets viewed by someone who feels its terrible. I see all the time someone posting a photo of their trophy (elk, deer, etc.) let alone dead coyotes on social media and see them skewered in the comments for killing such a magnificent animal. Social media is NOT the place to share your hunts. Even sites like these can give access to anti hunters....but they need to come here looking for it. On social media it can just pop up on their page if one of their friends shares it.

Originally Posted By: tawnoperSorry to say but social media is killing sport hunting. Back in the day we did all the same stuff, but only took polaroids of our hunts to share with friends. The general public didn't see it, therefore had no problems with it. Although we are doing nothing wrong, hunting is not for everyone. In the past 10 years I've really noticed a downward path for how hunting is viewed. About the same time frame social media has really developed. We have far too many people blasting instagram and facebook with everything they shoot, which in turn gets viewed by someone who feels its terrible. I see all the time someone posting a photo of their trophy (elk, deer, etc.) let alone dead coyotes on social media and see them skewered in the comments for killing such a magnificent animal. Social media is NOT the place to share your hunts. Even sites like these can give access to anti hunters....but they need to come here looking for it. On social media it can just pop up on their page if one of their friends shares it.

he ^^^^^ is right you know.

actually the standard setting for images (or posts in general) on Fakebook is "friends only" ... the "friends of friends" thing isnt even an option from what i've seen anymore like it used to be. so its a choice between that and fully public - which almost nobody's personal profile is anymore (including non hunters), for the obvious reasons.

the thing that can be shared is posts to public groups as those posts are considered public.

Burger King offers a vegan sandwich.
Here and elsewhere the hot new expensive restaurants are vegan. A lot of the young ones are being tought that the torture of farm raised animals for consumption is wrong and a ton of others are picking up on the "fad". Imagine what they think of sport hunting.

I was in the Orange County and Coast predator Clubs, some really great times for sure.

Liberals will not be happy until all men have vaginas.

A very thought provoking post... sad, and thought provoking.

My son was about 12 when he shot his first buck. We were sharing a two-man treestand and we were on our own property. As we were taking pictures, I stopped the action and looked him right in the eye and told him to pause and really soak in the moment... the sights, the smell, etc., as someday I was afraid he might not have the opportunity to experience his son's first deer harvest.

I did the same thing about a year later 25 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico when after 20 minutes of fighting, he landed a 52" Wahoo in the presence of a large Navy ship that had pulled up along side us to warn us a Sea Stallion was inbound dragging a pipe line and we were in the path. About 10 sailors cheered and clapped when I gaffed the Wahoo... it gave me chills and we both remember it to this day as if it happened yesterday.

My son is grown, married, and off in the military... we talk of these two times fondly. "Our" way of life is under attack.

The whole point of the lead ban is the way to walk gun limiting laws around the constitution. Same as the 10+ magazine ban or an "assault weapon ban", the Democrats have learned that with a layer of federal judges and politicians at the local level the Constitution is just a piece of paper. When you cannot change hunting and trapping regulations because your argument is weak or or not factual, then ban fur products, put a tax on ammo, regulate gun ranges out of business. Sportsman allowed these in one way or another because we "accepted a compromise". A changing of Constitutional and individual rights is the end goal, has been since the 70's.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot, When you cannot change hunting and trapping regulations because your argument is weak or or not factual...
CA lawmakers DID ban all trapping and all bobcat hunting with zero facts/science and only weak emotional arguments. Already been done.

Back