Hard or Soft case

Originally Posted By: BradsbirdsWondering how many AR shooters with Thermal scopes use a soft gun case vs hard.

Keep hard case in back of buggy.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisSoft

Mind sharing what brand? Trying to find something protective enough without the bulk of the "vault" type hard cases.

Originally Posted By: g BoAre you talking about while you are out hunting, at home, traveling in you pick up to you hunting location??

Yes, it would be for in the truck traveling from location to location.

Originally Posted By: BradsbirdsOriginally Posted By: g BoAre you talking about while you are out hunting, at home, traveling in you pick up to you hunting location??

Yes, it would be for in the truck traveling from location to location.

I personally use a soft case that hold a AR comfortably. It doesn’t make a big noise if you bump it against something when you’re Getting in and out of your rig to set up. If you’re traveling on a side by side it also keeps the dust, mud and grime of of your gun and scope.

Soft obliviously doesn’t protect as well as hard if dropped or if you happen to hit something or crash at night. I’ve done both driving at night with no lights. You depth perception isn’t quite as good as in the daytime.

Soft are also a lot cheaper to purchase

Last edited:
Problem is finding one tall enough to accommodate the scope or even find that measurement listed. They all have the lengths listed but not always the height. When they are listed it's usually 12" which is what my gun/scope measures so isn't going to be enough room. May have to go with a double case as they look a bit bigger.

If I'm driving to the hunt I keep my AR inside a hard case. I keep the optics inside a hard case too but it's a different case. The EOTech has it's own hard plastic case with padding inside. The Nikon Scope also has its own hard plastic case with foam padding inside the case to protect the optics. Both the EOTech and the Nikon are on quick release bases that I can take on and off quickly. They mount on the Picatinny rail and hold zero pretty good when I got to the shooting range. I may have to adjust them a bit once I get to the shooting range. After they are zeroed in then I keep the optics on them for hunting season and transport them with the optics on the AR15 and inside the hard plastic case. When I'm hunting I just carry them. I don't want very far to get to the hunting stand.

Now if I were driving a 4 wheeler to the hunting site I want the gun and optics in a hard case to protect them. And they would be stored inside the 4 wheeler where they were protected in case of a crash. I think you can open the case up quietly enough to not wake up any coyotes nearby.

I use soft sided bow case laying in the back seat. It has plenty of room for big Night vision scopes and is discrete if anyone sees it.

Back