Unlucky groundhog

AdamT

Last Friday I was off work, and decided to check the zero on my 22 Nosler AR ahead of some long awaited cooler weather, in hopes of being able to get out and do some calling. The rifle checked out fine and shot a fairly decent group.

48916860702_6e8daa87ed_o_d.jpg

Called it good and loaded up my shooting gear and started heading back towards the house. As I drove out of the pasture, passing by the barn, into the hay field, a big fat groundhog ran in front of the truck seeking shelter in the hay shed. I thought to myself, just keep going, it may come back out and offer a shot opportunity. I eased on through the field and stopped at the crest of the hill about 50-60 yards away from the barn. Loaded a round into my magazine and thought, I’ll wait around a little while and see what happens. The back door of a crew cab made for a convenient rifle rest for me to wait and watch the area I just came from.

Within about 5 minutes, the little fat pig came back out from the hay shed, and fed out into the field to offer a clear shot opportunity. The close range with a rest and a freshly checked rifle made for an easy shot on an unlucky groundhog this day. 55 grain NBT in the head/neck line while it was feeding away from me. I was surprised at the non exit.

48916662326_8aa110c1c7_o_d.jpg

48916867682_a8a110d0bb_o_d.jpg

Back