Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3214781 - 10/12/19 07:14 PM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
ackleyman Offline
PM senior

Loc: Hickville
Tons of really great information here!

I would add a 200 ft coil of 5/16" steel cable, and this is the only thing I would put a metal hook on. This is in case you get stuck in a place others can not quite get to.

#3214820 - 10/13/19 11:00 AM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
crittr gittr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: UTAH
Dave, what is your opinion on them Max Trax I see in your pics that your using them. Thoughts? thanks.

#3214834 - 10/13/19 01:39 PM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: crittr gittr]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: crittr gittr
Dave, what is your opinion on them Max Trax I see in your pics that your using them. Thoughts? thanks.

Ahhh… I'm not sure. I don't own any. So I haven't used them a whole bunch.

They were worthless this day for heavy wet snow stucks.

Late winter, crusty, heavy, hard, wet snow. That Jeep is on 40" tires aired down to single digits. The maxtraxx were of no use.

Edit - the front Jeep is on 40's. The one closest to the camera is on 37's. It got stuck trying to strap the front one back. And then this guy got too rowdy on the skinny pedal trying to strap the Jeep on 37's out.

He was bouncing his LS off the rev limiter and you just knew bad things were gonna happen..

But back to the maxtrax.

I've seen them be handy before. But, like I said, I don't have any, so haven't seen them used that much. There's just not room in or on my Jeep for them, for one thing. And I've never had a stuck I couldn't get out of by myself, that I would have with them. But I think I've had plenty of stucks I could have got out faster and easier with them maybe?

My friends that do the real deal, heavy duty expeditions all over the world swear by them though. Won't leave home without them as they say. Those guys know their stuff and they won't carry something that bulky all over the world with them if they aren't earning their keep.

So, I guess they are pretty useful? Just not a lot of personal experience to speak from.

- DAA

Edited by DAA (10/13/19 01:42 PM)

#3214835 - 10/13/19 02:06 PM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
crittr gittr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: UTAH
Thank you, I have been debating on whether to buy a set or not

#3214994 - 10/15/19 12:39 AM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
Spidicus Online
Predator Master

Loc: Nevada
Never had a winch.. never needed one. Been offroading for 20 years or so.. alot of the time I go solo.. best tool is your brain.. like previous poster said. " go as far as you can in 2 wheel drive get stuck..pop it in 4wd and go home.. best advice ever.
With that said. I carry a 30' rope, a safe Jack, maxtraxx, a viar 400a compressor, some tools, a portable battery jumper, tire plug kit. An emergency tent, alot of water (desert) my cell phone a PLB and food and a lighter Never needed any of it.. but it's in the truck if I do
Dtech .223 AR15

2019 fur season totals
Coyote: 3
Kit fox: 0
Grey fox: 0
Bobcat: 0

#3215020 - 10/15/19 11:24 AM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
atd Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Miami Beach
I normally used a John Deere or a Case. J/K
Lots of good information in this thread.
I don't know why more people don't use a front back receiver system for the wench.

#3215114 - 10/16/19 12:55 AM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
steve garrett Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: tx
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG
A lot of us do some mild 4x4 or AWD in our trucks and SUVs to reach our hunting spots. I never plan on getting stuck, but... Weather and trail conditions can get you in trouble real quick, all it takes is a slick surface or a deep rut or a tree or boulder in the wrong place or a little too much snow etc. Getting unstuck can be challenging when you're alone or inexperienced.

What equipment should a regular guy (not a hard core 4x4 rock crawler) have in the vehicle for basic self recovery? Most weekend warriors don't have a winch. What are the most useful tools for most situations?

Also, where are the best resources to learn (self) recovery techniques?

my list from memory

-a tool bag with hand tools, sockets, allen wrenches, WD 40, electrical connectors, hammer, several types of pliers and misc other stuff

-my own custom plug kit, I have 3 sizes of tire plugs, clear up to the big ole goober tractor tire plugs.
-MV 50 compressor, DAA told me about them
-ARB yanker strap
-a couple axes and a machete
-3 2" angle 3/16" angle irons modified with spike ends, holes drilled to hold d shackles, cut to about 4 feet long
-3 heavy duty rachet straps for use with the 2" angle irons when driven into the ground in picket fashion
-2 25' grade 70 chains
-60" highlift jack
-12000" winch to be used in the rear receiver hitch.
-shovel
-sledge hammer, has splittling maul on one side for use as a pick on hard ground
-scissor jack
-set of snow chains
-jumper cables
-noco genius boost jump starter

that is my list from memory. The winch has already saved me after getting stuck in a washout. A shovel could have dug me out but would have ruined over 2 hours of coyote calling. Instead about 20 minutes we were rolling down the road again.

the tire plugs and compressor kept me from walking out of the red desert in wyoming several years ago when I was on p metric stock tires in my old truck. also I admit to not wanting to dink with changing a tire. one time we were in a new area and the calling was red hot. hit something so big I actually heard the air leaking from the tire inside the truck. about 6 plugs later, the tire managed to hold about 15 psi, which for a rear tire can still get the job done. anyways finished the evening calling, got probably 3 more coyotes because of the tire plugs. never did have to change the tire. nursed it 300 miles back to salt lake and took it monday morning and let the tire guys put on a new one.

Edited by steve garrett (10/16/19 01:00 AM)

#3215266 - 10/17/19 02:28 PM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
https://giphy.com/gifs/3WvcALk38RfN51TEnj/html5?

wow talk about a poor mans answer....

#3216929 - 11/01/19 12:33 AM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
brock2013 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Colorado
I carry HiLift jack, snatch strap and shackles, tire chains, battery jump box, tire iron and dewalt impact for tires, a few basic tools like wrenches pliers screwdrivers, jumper cables, shovel and axe and tire plug kit. I also have a winch on receiver that I can put on front or back. I picked of a set of traction boards to try this season and see how they work. Been stuck quite a few times that was in very little snow but I just couldn’t get rolling because I couldn’t get any traction. I also keep a wool blanket and a small backpack stove and fuel and some mountain house meals just in case I do get stuck and have to wait for help. I have had to wait a while before when I was stuck bad enough that I couldn’t get myself out. I have a Garmin inReach mini to contact someone to help when I’m out of service. Just got it this year. Have had to walk a few miles to get to service to call for help before. I plan on adding a portable air compressor too just haven’t got it yet. Also keep a few bottles of water.

#3216949 - 11/01/19 12:47 PM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
Displayed Name Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: P.E.I., Canada
Lots of good info thanks to all for sharing. I like to think I’m a decent off-roader mostly snow but my worst enemy is when my brain says “ F it!”. Aging is helping but it’s still an issue.

#3216965 - 11/01/19 02:35 PM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: Plant.One]
Wyoming Winchester Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: WY
Originally Posted By: Plant.One
https://giphy.com/gifs/3WvcALk38RfN51TEnj/html5?

wow talk about a poor mans answer....

Put two on each side and you've got it.

#3217710 - 11/09/19 04:49 PM Re: Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques [Re: DiRTY DOG]
Linedog Offline

Loc: Ontario. Canada
The best advice I can give is get rid of your wide tires . In snow a narrow tall snow tire will take you pretty well anywhere . The narrow tire will dig down to solid ground . A wide tire is good for mud because it floats up , with snow that is a detriment to good traction . Use your wide ones in good weather and switch to winter tires and save yourself from headaches .
We have snow for close to 6 months up here and I have driven in it alot .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.