What happened to Predator Masters???

BangFlop

This use to be one of my favorite places to visit, share my hunting stores, ask questions and just read and learn.

Now there are 280 people viewing the firearm page and still only 4 threads active today.

Might be time to move on I guess.

Steve

I've laughed at the number of people viewing and the few number of responses before too. I just thought that the majority of people were using search for specific questions and just researching...

Mserman

To be honest, I think the search function and the attitude of some on this forum has killed it. It use to be, a long time ago, you could ask ANY question and get 6+ pages of replies trying to help. About 5 years ago, you would get 20 replies if explaining where the search button was.

This place needs all the forums wiped and post counts set to zero and restart for it ever to be a fraction of what it once was.

Until that, we can all just watch it die.

I miss the way it use to be, back when people were helpful and we googled over handmade predator calls and congratulated people on there successful stands.

Good night all!

Steve

I don’t believe thaT is the reason. There are some very active forums out there. Ones that can easily go 20 pages in a few days.

Last edited:
A little off topic but, I spent 28 years in the USAF. What did I learn, "the only constant in life is change". Everything changes, some for the better and some for the worst.

You're not the only one that's noticed this. Every forum that I check on is the same. Here, 68Forum and Accurateshooter. I'm guessing FB plays a big part in this along with a dying interest in hunting/shooting.

The only one that i don't see slowing down is ar15.com, because you never know if your handguard is going to be out of style/season.

I think that the moderators on here now are better than ever. We are living in some political Correct times, I have wondered if that has had an effect. We have to be forever vigilant of what and how we post can be used against THIS site and hunters in general.

I get on here and read frequently but I don't start hunting hard for coyotes until it gets cold. I hate fighting the wasps and other bugs that like to crawl all over your face when it's warm outside. I'd imagine there's a lot of guys that don't get after it unless there's prime fur to be had or contest going on (both happen in the Winter) so I'd imagine this forum is similar in that aspect. Probably not a whole lot happening when it's fishin and cold beer drinkin weather.There's a few guys out killing them in the warmer months but I'd imagine they're not as common as the guys that save it for the cold weather.

As for shooting or gun questions,there's only so much that can be said on one thread before it becomes repetitive. There's a lot of information on this website. I'd imagine there's a lot of reading going on most of the time. The guys that ain't reading I assume are out killing something.

Last edited:
Besides being a seasonal thing in a sense I think a lot of guys get discouraged and quit or figure out there's only so much they can learn here. I don't know about y'all but I've learned a lot more by going out and making mistakes or having successful hunts than I have sitting in front of a computer screen.

It's good to read and learn but the best teacher is yourself. You ain't gonna kill anything if you're on your phone or in front of a computer. What's the best call? Buy a few and try them. What's the best coyote killing cartridge? Pick one and shoot it. If you don't like it,sale it and buy something else. What's the most fur friendly bullet? Pick one and go shoot coyotes with it. If it blows them up,sew them up,pick a different bullet and try again. It's really that simple when it all boils down to it.

MOriginally Posted By: BangFlopMserman To be honest, I think the search function and the attitude of some on this forum has killed it........I miss the way it use to be, back when people were helpful and we googled over handmade predator calls and congratulated people on there successful stands.
I have been saying for some time now that searching for an answer, reading until about to go blind is boring. People need to interact, answer specific questions regardless of whether those questions have been answered a thousand times. Keep friendships alive and quit attacking people because they do something a bit different than you do, or use a different caliber, or bait hunt coyotes etc etc. I am sick of the “over kill” crowd pointing that out to me, that my choice of caliber is the wrong one and their’s is the best. However, I have met a lot of good people here, and have traveled and hunted with several of them too, even had VicFox travel from Australia to hunt with me. I value the friendships forged here.

I would agree that it is "off season" for sure, however, the fact that 349 people are reading the firearm page all throughout the day tells me people are interested and available but not posting for a reason.

I don't believe this place will pick up once "season" is here, as I for one will not be sitting at my computer trying to get pumped about predator hunting ... I'll be predator hunting.

The issue is for so many years, this is the only place I have seen that continued to push people to use the search function. I for one, don't care what someone liked 12 years ago. I want to know what guys like today, and want to know if they are using the same rifle as I am and ask specific questions that I may have.

Anyway. I am a member at multiple other places and one of them is very similar to what this place once was.

Steve

There are still some very knowledgeable guys on here that post and answer questions. I prefer this place over the predator Facebook pages. There are a lot of guys on there that kill one coyote, and all of sudden they are an expert.

It's hard to dispute that other online sources don't play a part in slower forum traffic. I agree with most all the above posts. If change is the norm, and it's currently changing for the worse, then I have been suggesting PM allow competition.

I was removed as a mod because I spoke the truth in what I do and who I work with and it didn't flow with the sponsors here.

PM can easily keep growing, it's an amazing place for info and facts, it also has some amazing people. There's ways to do it, but it's going to be out of the norm compared to what used to be.

One of the things I'm seeing is we are over teching predator hunting. A person asks about a rifle for predator hunting and immediately it is a custom rifle, wildcat caliber and scope that cost at least a grand. I'm pretty sure that I could still kill a lot of coyotes with an old Savage 340 in 222 Rem with a Weaver K-4 on it although I would prefer a K-1.5 or K-2.5.

Again we give the impression that you can't call preds unless you have a top of the line FoxPro caller. I would suggest that a newbie start with the bottom of the line simplest caller. I have good callers but I won one and the other is a first model CS-24 that I bought used. We just came back from the convention, there is a thread about how slow the hunting is in that area, while we were there we killed at least one coyote every day and we never traveled more than 15 miles from the campsite only hunted a half day and used only four sounds the whole week. A FP Spitfire would have called all those coyotes.

We also seem to be getting away from calling them in close, but we're seeing that across the whole hunting scene.

We've become rather elitist in our views and I think it drives many away. I also think that the predator hunting scene has become saturated. There was a great rush to be able to kill stuff year round but it isn't as easy as it looks on TV and a lot of the interest is falling off.

Lots of reasons not to hunt coyotes, we are becoming a nation of watchers not doers, TV and internet abound with hunting shows but license sale are dropping.

I've been a member on here for a good while now and don't post much. Couple things happen enough times that it makes me hesitate to contribute as often as I might:

1 - Getting flamed for silly/insignificant things. For example, I made the grievous sin of once referring to a magazine as a "clip". That definitely deserves getting called out as stupid for thinking I could use the terms interchangeably.

2 - Getting ignored. I certainly don't expect to be replied to every time, but when someone asks a question on here and you take 20 minutes or whatever to write up a long, detailed answer, it would be nice if the Original Poster and/or others at least acknowledged the answer even if they don't agree.

Not gonna lose sleep over these things, but just saying that after a enough times of that stuff then it becomes preferable to just browse and read rather than take the time to post.

My experience is the ones berating have more than likely never killed a handful of varmints in a lifetime,nature of the net. i posted a few dozen pictures on a site of my exploits and never had a response.

Back