Coyote Death Wish

DoubleUp

My hunting buddy changed his mind at the last minute and decided to go with me tonight. We didn't go where I had intended, but did get one.

He killed this young female.

IMG_0537 by Double Up, on Flickr

It was one of the craziest things I've ever seen, but sometimes the stars just align I guess. I felt like we made too much noise getting in to the stand, and we didn't do anything, but we heard some across the highway in another bigger field where we've had good results.

They were too far (close to a mile) to cross to us, but when we got back to the truck, which cut the distance to under half a mile, we got everything loaded up to leave. I stepped to the back of the truck and made 3 howls on the hand call and my hunting buddy added a couple as well.

We got in the truck and started down the highway and he decided to scan the field across the highway. Here comes a coyote full bore. He pulls off on the secondary paved road and we both get out. Coyote is headed right to where we called from the truck.

I tell my buddy to get his tripod out and get setup. He has his tripod setup on the highway, and thankfully it isn't illegal to shoot from the right-of-way of secondary roads here. There is no traffic and my buddy makes a couple of weak howls. Coyote turns and comes right down the field to us. He woofs her to a stop and kills her at about 100 yds. It was a female probably this year's pup. Beats all I ever saw. Coyote had a Death Wish. I don't have his video yet, but recorded the kill with my scope. Here is the video.

I killed this fat and heavily furred male last night after 30 seconds of calling, but unfortunately didn't get the video turned on.

IMG_0536 by Double Up, on Flickr

He killed his, per your video. You might have found yours as road kill, who knows. Without video, anything could have happened.

You're a funny guy Week. Of course, I could have shown the video and claimed that I killed it, and used the picture from my (road kill) coyote. Normally I turn the dvr on when I turn the call on, but the one from Monday night came in at about the 30 second mark, and I just forgot to flip the switch on the dvr. I hate it too as it was a beautiful DRT with the Parvo. That was a sweet sound of that bullet smack too with the Varminter 4.0 suppressor.

Back