Off road vehicle self recovery equipment and techniques

I normally used a John Deere or a Case. J/K
Lots of good information in this thread.
I don't know why more people don't use a front back receiver system for the wench.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGA lot of us do some mild 4x4 or AWD in our trucks and SUVs to reach our hunting spots. I never plan on getting stuck, but... Weather and trail conditions can get you in trouble real quick, all it takes is a slick surface or a deep rut or a tree or boulder in the wrong place or a little too much snow etc. Getting unstuck can be challenging when you're alone or inexperienced.

What equipment should a regular guy (not a hard core 4x4 rock crawler) have in the vehicle for basic self recovery? Most weekend warriors don't have a winch. What are the most useful tools for most situations?

Also, where are the best resources to learn (self) recovery techniques?

my list from memory

-a tool bag with hand tools, sockets, allen wrenches, WD 40, electrical connectors, hammer, several types of pliers and misc other stuff

-my own custom plug kit, I have 3 sizes of tire plugs, clear up to the big ole goober tractor tire plugs.
-MV 50 compressor, DAA told me about them
-ARB yanker strap
-a couple axes and a machete
-3 2" angle 3/16" angle irons modified with spike ends, holes drilled to hold d shackles, cut to about 4 feet long
-3 heavy duty rachet straps for use with the 2" angle irons when driven into the ground in picket fashion
-2 25' grade 70 chains
-60" highlift jack
-12000" winch to be used in the rear receiver hitch.
-shovel
-sledge hammer, has splittling maul on one side for use as a pick on hard ground
-scissor jack
-set of snow chains
-jumper cables
-noco genius boost jump starter

that is my list from memory. The winch has already saved me after getting stuck in a washout. A shovel could have dug me out but would have ruined over 2 hours of coyote calling. Instead about 20 minutes we were rolling down the road again.

the tire plugs and compressor kept me from walking out of the red desert in wyoming several years ago when I was on p metric stock tires in my old truck. also I admit to not wanting to dink with changing a tire. one time we were in a new area and the calling was red hot. hit something so big I actually heard the air leaking from the tire inside the truck. about 6 plugs later, the tire managed to hold about 15 psi, which for a rear tire can still get the job done. anyways finished the evening calling, got probably 3 more coyotes because of the tire plugs. never did have to change the tire. nursed it 300 miles back to salt lake and took it monday morning and let the tire guys put on a new one.

Last edited:
I carry HiLift jack, snatch strap and shackles, tire chains, battery jump box, tire iron and dewalt impact for tires, a few basic tools like wrenches pliers screwdrivers, jumper cables, shovel and axe and tire plug kit. I also have a winch on receiver that I can put on front or back. I picked of a set of traction boards to try this season and see how they work. Been stuck quite a few times that was in very little snow but I just couldn’t get rolling because I couldn’t get any traction. I also keep a wool blanket and a small backpack stove and fuel and some mountain house meals just in case I do get stuck and have to wait for help. I have had to wait a while before when I was stuck bad enough that I couldn’t get myself out. I have a Garmin inReach mini to contact someone to help when I’m out of service. Just got it this year. Have had to walk a few miles to get to service to call for help before. I plan on adding a portable air compressor too just haven’t got it yet. Also keep a few bottles of water.

Lots of good info thanks to all for sharing. I like to think I’m a decent off-roader mostly snow but my worst enemy is when my brain says “ F it!”. Aging is helping but it’s still an issue.

The best advice I can give is get rid of your wide tires . In snow a narrow tall snow tire will take you pretty well anywhere . The narrow tire will dig down to solid ground . A wide tire is good for mud because it floats up , with snow that is a detriment to good traction . Use your wide ones in good weather and switch to winter tires and save yourself from headaches .
We have snow for close to 6 months up here and I have driven in it alot .

Back