do coyotes see infra red light?

Walter Grooms

Gentlemen; I have been told that coyotes can see infra red (IR) light, and that if you shine them and light their eyes, they will leave the party right now. I have taken videos of them with a trail cam and had them bolt the second the IR light comes on. The camera makes a very faint clicking noise when it comes on which could be scaring them, or is it the red glow of the IR. I know several night hunters who will not use anything but thermal and high end no IR light night vision scopes. I recently bought a pair of night vision binocs that claim to have a 850NM IR light that does not produce any red glow. I found that hard to believe,but they assured me that it was so, so I bought them. They glow just like any other 850NM IR light. They go back tomorrow. I have a thermal scope that works great, but you have to be holding up you AR with the heavy scope and a heavy silencer all the time to spot the incomings. And you are swinging it back and forth, making movement all night long. Also, the thermal scope is bright, its like looking into a flashlight all the time. Blinds you out of that eye for several minutes.
A hand held night scope or monocular with a IR light works great, but is it scaring off the coyotes?

Last edited:

More than anything, I feel they see the red dot in the illuminator come on and move. Just like how coyotes seem to shy away when trail cams light up.

Supposedly coyotes do not see infrared, but they do see the red glow of the emitter. How they react to it is up to the individual coyote. Some don’t seem to mind and others are scared of it. I have had coyotes look directly at it from a bait site at 60 yards and show no concern while others don’t like it at all. Check out some of my videos on Youtube of home made NV and see for yourself. My channel is 6mm064.

Back