surpressor bullet question

bronco2

does everyone's gun shoot dead on with-out a suppressor or does it shoot the same with it on?

mines shoots low when i put my suppressor on.

thanks

It really all depends, on Barrel Length, contour, suppressor weight, and load data etc. If you have a longer lighter contoured barrel, coupled with a heavier can, expect to see more of a POI change with/without the suppressor. I usually like to run shorter, heavier contours where hanging a weight off the end doesn't affect the harmonics nearly as much. So basically my barrel is more rigid, reducing the harmonics giving me minimal to zero POI shifts.

Even though on most all of my suppressors it's a non issue. It is not out of the norm for a suppressor to open your groups, I've had to develop loads for rifles that were well below sub 1/2 before adding a can. If you reload though it's not a big deal.

I've used a timing device on my M99 chambered in .416, basically a nut that is threaded onto the muzzle tightly, then punched top dead center so that the suppressor can be fabricated around that nut. The baffles were staggered in such a design that when the can is removed and attached, the POI will be vertical, not horizontal. It's much easier to note your vertical dispersion if something goes down and you have to make a shot with/without and you know what your variable is. VS. horizontal where you most likely always have wind as a force multiplier to add to your margins.

I've had an AAC Cyclone about 10 years ago have a 6"+ POI shift, but the rifle still shot very well with it on, as long as it's still shooting dots I just re-zeroed and forgot about it. I did a little research and found the suppressor's shoulder isn't 100% concentric with the shoulder of my rifles threads which is most likely the issue. Once again to me it wasn't a big deal as long as I was able to get my rifle zeroed and she still liked shooting groups with the can.

I've also had a very early probably one of the first Gemtech HVT Bi lock models that would constantly and repeatably have a first round flyer with follow ups all being in the same hole. Sent it in to have the QD cut off and turn it into a direct thread which helped a lot.

Originally Posted By: Wyoming WinchesterPOI does move. ^^^^ I have had my groups shrink on some calibers.

The majority of my cans do not affect my group sizes, I just pointed out it can go the other direction as well.

I have found that most cause a POI shift. Mine shoots 4in low without. But a friend has a Surefire and we have switched it between rifles with no shift. Of course it cost more than double what my suppressor cost, but I can see advantages. It also doesn't require an adjustable gas block.

Back