"In the blue"?

Its the hair roots that are showing through because the hide hasn't thickened up yet. You wont get a very good price for it. Should tan up ok but prime fur looks a lot better.

Technically, the "fur" isn't blue. It is the skin/hide itself, it will go from blueish to white and creamy as they prime up. Blue hides will tan but they will loose some fur in the process.

Thanks guys-shoulda' posted this when I wasn't working night shift--I actually meant the skin itself. Be interesting to know what physically happens to the skin to cause it to change from "blue" to creamy colored.

Unfortunately the blue hide is a result of harvesting too early in the season. Just because it gets cold does't mean the fur is prime yet.

Here are a few excellent resources to learn about furs from two of the industry giants. They have general fur handling guidance and "chapters" for each furbearer species. Figured I'd throw in a good stitch image while we're on the topic of hides:

NAFA Fur Handling Manual

FHA Fur Handling Manual

89d2634164c473d593d846e48dea37ef.jpg

Last edited:
Found elsewhere on the "www":

"The 'blue'you see is actually blood that is trapped in the hide. When new fur is growing the hide is infused with rich blood to nourish the developing fur. After the fur is finished growing the blood leaves the hide and the hide turns a lighter color again. The hide will be 'blue' twice a year,once in the fall and again in the spring when the new summer fur comes in."

Back