Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!!

ibschmidty

I've talked to a few people and recently a Game Warden for Nevada. Met her on a dirt road in Elko County, Nevada while out calling with my son. I asked her if she heard or knew anything about the coyote population in the area since we were not seeing anything in areas where I have personally done very well consistently. She told me that plague has gone through the areas and effected population in Idaho, Nevada, and Utah. I asked her about Oregon and she didn't know.
What have you guys seen? I am sure there are pockets around but by and large the numbers are down. I've not seen a rabbit since the PM hunt and the whole week we only saw two.

How are the coyote number in your area? How are the bunny numbers? Have you seen other species that may have been effected?

I'd like to know what your seeing.

Originally Posted By: old catWhat is the plague that affects coyotes & rabbits?

Drought.

- DAA

It affected the rabbits, no rabbit small or no coyote litters plus I was told that the Cattle and sheep ranchers got together last winter and aerial gunned the coyotes on the flats when there was snow. We found coyotes south of town but none in the sage flats where we did very good last year. We camped down by Jiggs and there were a couple in the hills at night but not the packs calling to each other from all directions like last year. I wrote up our week of hunting at the convention.

www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3214330#Post3214330

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: old catWhat is the plague that affects coyotes & rabbits?

Drought.

- DAA

Thanks DAA

Originally Posted By: old catOriginally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: old catWhat is the plague that affects coyotes & rabbits?

Drought.

- DAA

Thanks DAA

Whats going on with the lack of coyotes and rabbbits isn't caused by drought. We have been told by fish and game that plague went through and killed [beeep] near everything. they never said drought.

I'm just saying what is incredibly obvious to everyone that has spent any time out there the last couple years.

I called it a year ago, as far as what bunny and coyote numbers were going to be. This year. It was impossible not to see coming.

- DAA

And I was told something very, very different than "plague" by a WS ADC supervisor in Utah.

Plague killed a whole bunch of plants and animals though I guess huh? Must be a mean plague.

- DAA

It’s my understanding that while coyotes can carry the plague, they generally are not susceptible to it. I have been involved with it helping gather samples, but am just going off what the biologists I assisted told me. They carry it, and the fleas spread it.

Last edited:
i don't take much stock in what fish and wildlife biologists say. the guys that spend a lot of time in the field (hunters, fishermen, campers, hikers) know way more than f&w ever do.

but i dam sure do believe any critters than have fleas can sure help the spread of plague. just makes sense.

Originally Posted By: obaroIt’s my understanding that while coyotes can carry the plague, they generally are not susceptible to it. I have been in over it helping gather samples, but am just going off what the biologists I assisted told me. They carry it, and the fleas spread it.

What are you seeing in Kansas? Im struggling. Im not seeing sign like I use too. I swear the numbers are off there too.

Despite what people say the cause it, it’s painfully obvious that the population is down from even last years numbers. I know that coyotes, like rabbits have a multi year cycle in population numbers. Something has effected it and disrupted the cycle in this specific area. I’d like to know if it effects other areas. What are you seeing?

Usually you can see the numbers dropping off each year when were headed into the " low number years " I know numbers were down last year from previous couple years but this year is a complete nose dive. Begs the question are we at the low point or something else. I'm leaning towards something else.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSUsually you can see the numbers dropping off each year when were headed into the " low number years " I know numbers were down last year from previous couple years but this year is a complete nose dive. Begs the question are we at the low point or something else. I'm leaning towards something else.

My thoughts exactly. Last year was tough, this year is shaping up to be even worse. At first I thought it was calling pressure, but Im not seeing scat or tracks like I use to. Something is going on for sure.

Originally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSUsually you can see the numbers dropping off each year when were headed into the " low number years " I know numbers were down last year from previous couple years but this year is a complete nose dive. Begs the question are we at the low point or something else. I'm leaning towards something else.

My thoughts exactly. Last year was tough, this year is shaping up to be even worse. At first I thought it was calling pressure, but Im not seeing scat or tracks like I use to. Something is going on for sure.

Same thing for us out west, no tracks or scat anywhere we've been.

the utah bounty has finally gotten rid of the coyotes
smile.gif

I’m with Dave, I think it has more to do with the environment than anything. Drought and Fires are the big ones. It has been tough for sure but there’s still Coyotes out there. Went out west a couple weeks ago killed 8 in 4 days. Definitely not normal numbers but still a few Coyotes around. It will bounce back I’m sure. When? Who knows....

Good Hunting Chad

Back