New VA yote hunter, in need of direction

GLS

Hi All,

I live in Bedford County and am finally getting around to starting coyote hunting on my own. I've gone out before with a buddy on his land. He guided me very well. So I have an idea of what I'm doing, I have the proper gear (even Wicked Lights night lights). I just need a place to hunt! Preferably nearby due to me being a pretty busy student and I also work. I visited Holiday Lakes last night. Every cut out off the main roads had signs "No Trespassing." So I assumed I was not allowed to hunt anywhere in there. I did not see anything that indicated an area was clear for hunting. And I didn't want to wander anywhere I was not allowed. I have my state (VA) hunting permit. I would love to hear from you guys, where do y'all hunt that would be accessible to me? I'm considering trying for the James River WMA next.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
First I'm going to tell you a couple of things that you probably don't want to hear.
#1. Trying to kill coyotes with lights is tough in Va. Our coyotes are pretty light shy. Not to say you won't ever kill one, but it will be a struggle. You will probably spook 10 that you never see for the 1 that you do.
Second, the area that you are hunting in is the same area that a group of guys that I know of hunt. They are really nice guys but they are coyote killing machines. They have been at it for maybe 10 years or more. They use thermal and NV, no lights. They probably have access to a lot of the good farms in your area and have hunted them or at least the land around them. So it might be difficult for you to find coyotes that have not been exposed to at least some pressure.
I'm going to suggest that you start with trying to target foxes and bobcats. They are not nearly as light shy as coyotes and maybe there is not a lot of pressure on them in your area.
Make up some flyers and post them around town advertising fox and varmint removal. Lots of small properties have chickens, etc., and they might welcome a hunter to remove the problem animals. I get several calls a year for that very thing. Once you get your foot in the door that might lead to some untouched ground.
Remember, you're just getting started in an area that already has a well established group of predator hunters. Find your niche and pay your dues.

Thank you for the response. I will try to reach out to private land owners regarding varmint removal. I will take your advice regarding going for foxes in the meantime (when season allows on dept. and state land). Also, season for opossum and raccoons begin tomorrow. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to go for them in the meantime starting tomorrow night. In that case, I'd have 3 different species to shoot, I'd have to get something! I'll post up with my experience....

Welcome to Predator Masters ! We here in Pa. still have to use lights. It is tough going for sure. With more hunting pressure the harder they are to call in. I have to put in MANY sets to be successful ! That being said you can be successful !

Pay attention to detail. Practice your basics EVERYTIME you hunt !!! Assuming there’s predators at every set will help you become very skilled. Not much luck involved in this game !!!

I suggest trying onXhunt app. Costs me $30 bucks a year but gives you property owners names, address, acreage, game lands. Opened up a lot more property for me to hunt !

You came to the right place for info, awesome group on here from all over the country !
Happy hunting !!
Mick

Thank you for your response. I've heard of OnX before. I might give it a try. Yes, I will start to practice the basics more consistently i.e stepping mindfully despite not seeing any game and calling properly. I have an adjustable Wicked Light with a green lens. How do you suggest I use it for maximum effect? Do you have the light turned on in the direction your posted over the entire time or only turn it on when you see/hear something. I carry the extra battery with me and have the pressure switch/intensity adjuster mounted on my rifle. Also, how long do you typically stay after sunset? I understand that sunrise and dusk are when the game is moving the most. But how long should you stay after those times?

Thanks

Run your light from the time you leave truck until you get back. Many times you will see predators on the way in or out. You can see eye shine a long ways off. I prefer a dim light over bright. I scan 360*, keep light on predator once you see it until you have gun light on it. Keep scan light high so just edge of light is just barely catching eye shine. Many times if you drop light down on them ( called burning them ) they will spook.

I hunt all night many times, prefer after midnight just because most people have went to bed, very little traffic & predators are on the move.

They can also be called in during the day with the right approach. Hunt whenever you have time !!!

This was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to come back and write me. I'll apply all this this weekend. Anything I get will be posted up in the appropriate section.

Welcome GLS, and good luck in your pursuit. I can't offer much help with your current situation (no night hunting here), but if you ever wander out west, be sure to let us know. There are some pretty good calling opportunities our here.

Welcome.

Hunting SW Va can be difficult, especially in the daylight. It’s not impossible, but difficult to say the least. I try to hunt small pasture openings near a thicket or in big timber adjacent to thickets and in around pasture land with cattle that has wood lots in the middle of it or around the edges.

If you night hunt, keep your light as dim as you can. I stay on stands longer here than the typical 15 minute or so stand the western guys seem to average.

I can’t help on access to land, but the best advice I have to offer is, just go hunting. It’s fun, healthy, peaceful, and way better than sitting at home watching the BS on TV these days.

That's smart, setting up near cattle. I'll keep that in mind next time. Last night was my first time hunting at night. I kept my light as dim as I was comfortable (enough so I could still see my footing). I sat on areas for about 15min one place, and 30 min on another. Wind was not of issue. I got into my last position a little late, it was after I heard the frenzy in the distance. I've learned that you won't have much luck calling anything in after you hear that. I stayed a little longer, no luck. I was utilizing the mouse calls (real mice would wine back) along with some howls. I would hear rustles in the bushes around me, but never was able to spot any movement or anything with the light. Time and practice will elicit a kill in a short time for sure. They're out there, I know that.

GLS, #1trkyhntr gave you some great advice. I couldn't agree with him MORE. Foxes are still fun to call and hunt even after fifty years of doing it. Bobcats are a trophy anytime anywhere.

The habitat that they desire is a bit different from coyotes anyway, so you may only slightly overlap those areas. Gray Fox and bobcat habitat is very similar. Find you some timbered out land with regrowth pines coming up providing tangled/thick ground cover, pines under eight to ten years old are perfect.

GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Bedford might be tough. That’s the back yard of some real killers. Might be more productive to drive just a little bit to get outside or anyone else’s core hunting area.

Might consider National forest. I have seen several on some of my wood cutting trips. Look for clear cuts several years old. Forest service can provide that info and I think it is on their web site. It is not just out west that coyotes inhabit public land.

Back