First AR custom build

ManyMag

I just took possession of my first ar. A 16" lefty with a timney trigger.
I'm in search of the best info available on accurizing.
Just point me in a good direction.

Derick Martin said "free float a good barrel"

There are many good barrel makers. And many good hand guard makers.

Very vague response... But it really is that simple.

Look into barrel twist for the range of bullets you want to shoot.

I think it is just coincidence but.... My 1:9 twist barrels shoot 55gr bullets not just better, but way better than my other 1:8 and 1:7 twist barrels.

What build is it, other components used...all useful info to make suggestions. If it was built correctly, any decent ammo should do just fine. You shouldn't need to accurate a custom built rifle.

I'm waiting on a 22" 20 practical barrel, I already assembled the upper receiver. Thinking about ordering the kit to square up the receiver, haven't messed with the first 2 uppers and they both shoot 1/2" ish 3 shot groups. There are 3 different gas tube lengths, so that will be a consideration if you just want a different barrel.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760What build is it, other components used...all useful info to make suggestions. If it was built correctly, any decent ammo should do just fine. You shouldn't need to accurate a custom built rifle.

you do have to appreciate that for many "custom built" means "assembled from parts i ordered from 6 different vendors" and not necessarily a true custom one-off from a builder that specialized in accurized firearms.

so it well could be custom built with a $43 barrel, on a $50 lower, with a $45 LPK, a $20 handguard, etc etc etc..... which is why your first request for info is so important.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneyou do have to appreciate that for many "custom built" means "assembled from parts i ordered from 6 different vendors" and not necessarily a true custom one-off from a builder that specialized in accurized firearms.

Other than cutting threads, there really isn’t so much custom about most firearms which are called “custom builds.” We have an entire sticky with page after page of bolt gun blueprints,” but what are they but a list of parts from different vendors? Not many places build their own bolt actions, nor make their own stocks, or triggers, or barrels. So while there’s a lot of skill required, and labor time too, to set up barrels to be threaded, all we’re really talking about in custom bolt guns is two pins to hang a trigger, three screws to hold the action and bottom metal to the stock, and barrel threading and chambering to mate the barrel to the receiver.

[beeep], with Remage conversion barrels, a guy doesn’t even need a lathe to assemble a custom bolt gun - so is it not a custom either if a guy buys a Surgeon action, screws on a McGowen Remage barrel, pins in a Jewel HVR trigger, and bolts it all into a McMillan stock with Badger bottom metal?

i was referring to the difference of ordering quality parts vs just whatever.

and that in some peoples eyes - if it didnt come out of the box fully assembled from the manufacturer, its "custom". great sales technique for those not in the know. especially in the ar-gun-plumber world where a "custom" ar can be assembled on the tailgate of a pickup truck in about an hour for $400 or less.

This is what I went with.
We set the timing today and I only had time to get a few rounds off but I really like it so far.
Thanks for the input.

The scope is SWFA 10X42 MOA MOA with Burris Extreme Tactical Rings

Barrel: Ballistic Advantage, 556NATO, 16", 1:7 Twist, 4150 CrMoV,
Muzzle Device: Ultradyne USA, ATHENA Linear Compensator
Gas system: Low pro gb w/ mid length gas tube
Handguard: 15" slim slant nose MLOK rail GEN 2
Bolt Carrier Group: Left Hand Salt Bath Nitride Bolt & Carrier Group
Upper Receiver: AR 15 CMT UPUR-1LH Left Hand Eject Billet Upper Receiver
Lower Receiver: Aero Precision Gen 2 Forged
Charging Handle: Raptor style ambi
Buffer System: Mil Spec Buffer Tube Kit w/ QD plate
Lower Parts Kit: Lower Receiver Parts Kit Without Grip/Fire Control Group
Sights: NA
Pistol Grip: Magpul MOE Grip
Stock: MOE SL-K Carbine Stock
Trigger: Timney Triggers, AR Calvin Elite Trigger, 1.5lb Pull Weight
Ambi Parts: steel Ambi safety select
Bipod: Caldwell, Bipod, XLA, MLOK/Keymod Compatible, 6"-9" Height, Black Finish
Magazines: 10 rd Mag x2 PMAG 10 GEN M3

This is my first experience with an AR style rifle. The goal is a dependable sub moa shooter for night work. Eventually I'll put a Leupold 6x42 scope on this upper. The crosshairs are so heavy that precision bullet placement is tough but my nighttime shots seldom exceed 100 yards so it's a good fit for that job.
If I like it as much a month from now I'll start on full blown tack driver upper for longer range daytime work.

Originally Posted By: ManyMagThis is what I went with.

Barrel: Ballistic Advantage, 556NATO, 16", 1:7 Twist, 4150 CrMoV,

Originally Posted By: ManyMagWhat bullets work well in your 1-9 and what kind of groups are you getting?

im not trying to be sarcastic, but why are you worried about what bullets work well in a 1:9 twist barrel when you're shooting a 1:7 twist.

i mean.. most of the bullets that work well in a 9 will shoot well in a 7... but you'll probably want to focus on the heavier bullets in your 7 twist over where the sweet spot is in a 9 twist.

generally speaking most 7 twist are going to favor 60-75gr bullets where as a 9 is going to work best with 50-69gr stuff

im not trying to be sarcastic, but why are you worried about what bullets work well in a 1:9 twist barrel when you're shooting a 1:7 twist.

I'm planning a second upper. Curious as to other's experience.

I hunt at night as much as day and haven't found one rifle/scope combo that does both equally well. the 1 in 7 I'm using will get a different scope that gathers more light for night work.
The second will be focused on accuracy so I'm poking around for as much information as I can get.

I may as well pick your brains.
The next upper will be 16" barrel chambered in 5.56
I don't care about bullet weight just looking for the tightest groups I can get from a given manufacturer.
To put the question another way, Who is making the most accurate 16" barrel?

What's your budget? If you want top end accuracy, Krieger or Bartlien are what you seek. Compass Lake Engineering or Craddock Precision can provide you with a top end barrel. If you're looking at something more budget oriented, X-Caliber makes great button barrels. I have a couple that shoot amazing.

If you're looking for a precision build, I'd look at a 1:7.7 or 1:8 twist along with an 18"or 20" barrel.

I have a 16" Krieger in 5.56 with a 1:7.7 that I use as my go-to coyote gun along with being my precision rifle.

Thanks, Jason.
I know I'll pay for accuracy.
That's just what I was looking for in the way of experience.
I'm trying to keep it 16".

Back