Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3214846 - 10/13/19 05:59 PM Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!!
ibschmidty Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Down wind
I've talked to a few people and recently a Game Warden for Nevada. Met her on a dirt road in Elko County, Nevada while out calling with my son. I asked her if she heard or knew anything about the coyote population in the area since we were not seeing anything in areas where I have personally done very well consistently. She told me that plague has gone through the areas and effected population in Idaho, Nevada, and Utah. I asked her about Oregon and she didn't know.
What have you guys seen? I am sure there are pockets around but by and large the numbers are down. I've not seen a rabbit since the PM hunt and the whole week we only saw two.

How are the coyote number in your area? How are the bunny numbers? Have you seen other species that may have been effected?

I'd like to know what your seeing.

#3214853 - 10/13/19 07:20 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
old cat Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: wv
What is the plague that affects coyotes & rabbits?

#3214861 - 10/13/19 08:32 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
ibschmidty Offline
Die Hard Member

I wouldnít know. Iím not a biologist.

#3214862 - 10/13/19 08:40 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: old cat]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: old cat

Drought.

- DAA

#3214877 - 10/13/19 09:39 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
AWS Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: NM
It affected the rabbits, no rabbit small or no coyote litters plus I was told that the Cattle and sheep ranchers got together last winter and aerial gunned the coyotes on the flats when there was snow. We found coyotes south of town but none in the sage flats where we did very good last year. We camped down by Jiggs and there were a couple in the hills at night but not the packs calling to each other from all directions like last year. I wrote up our week of hunting at the convention.

www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3214330#Post3214330

Edited by AWS (10/13/19 09:41 PM)

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3214878 - 10/13/19 10:01 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: DAA]
old cat Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: wv
Originally Posted By: DAA

Drought.

- DAA

Thanks DAA

#3214932 - 10/14/19 12:58 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: old cat]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Loc: In the sage
Originally Posted By: DAA

Drought.

- DAA

Thanks DAA

Whats going on with the lack of coyotes and rabbbits isn't caused by drought. We have been told by fish and game that plague went through and killed [beeep] near everything. they never said drought.

Wolves don't lose sleep, over the opinion's of sheep.

Carver Predator calls Prostaffer, Made in the USA!!
www.carverpredatorcalls.com

#3214938 - 10/14/19 02:32 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
DAA Offline
PM senior

I'm just saying what is incredibly obvious to everyone that has spent any time out there the last couple years.

I called it a year ago, as far as what bunny and coyote numbers were going to be. This year. It was impossible not to see coming.

- DAA

#3214939 - 10/14/19 02:35 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
DAA Offline
PM senior

And I was told something very, very different than "plague" by a WS ADC supervisor in Utah.

Plague killed a whole bunch of plants and animals though I guess huh? Must be a mean plague.

- DAA

#3214940 - 10/14/19 03:03 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
obaro Online
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Monument kansas
Itís my understanding that while coyotes can carry the plague, they generally are not susceptible to it. I have been involved with it helping gather samples, but am just going off what the biologists I assisted told me. They carry it, and the fleas spread it.

Edited by obaro (10/15/19 01:38 PM)

#3214946 - 10/14/19 03:53 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
i don't take much stock in what fish and wildlife biologists say. the guys that spend a lot of time in the field (hunters, fishermen, campers, hikers) know way more than f&w ever do.

but i dam sure do believe any critters than have fleas can sure help the spread of plague. just makes sense.

#3214952 - 10/14/19 05:13 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: obaro]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NW Arkansas
Originally Posted By: obaro
Itís my understanding that while coyotes can carry the plague, they generally are not susceptible to it. I have been in over it helping gather samples, but am just going off what the biologists I assisted told me. They carry it, and the fleas spread it.

What are you seeing in Kansas? Im struggling. Im not seeing sign like I use too. I swear the numbers are off there too.

#3215033 - 10/15/19 12:37 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
ibschmidty Offline
Die Hard Member

Despite what people say the cause it, itís painfully obvious that the population is down from even last years numbers. I know that coyotes, like rabbits have a multi year cycle in population numbers. Something has effected it and disrupted the cycle in this specific area. Iíd like to know if it effects other areas. What are you seeing?

#3215039 - 10/15/19 01:55 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
tawnoper Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: West coast
It's always been that way. Some years they're thick, other years not. Same ol same ol.

#3215043 - 10/15/19 02:17 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Usually you can see the numbers dropping off each year when were headed into the " low number years " I know numbers were down last year from previous couple years but this year is a complete nose dive. Begs the question are we at the low point or something else. I'm leaning towards something else.

#3215059 - 10/15/19 05:18 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: BOBTAILS]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILS
Usually you can see the numbers dropping off each year when were headed into the " low number years " I know numbers were down last year from previous couple years but this year is a complete nose dive. Begs the question are we at the low point or something else. I'm leaning towards something else.

My thoughts exactly. Last year was tough, this year is shaping up to be even worse. At first I thought it was calling pressure, but Im not seeing scat or tracks like I use to. Something is going on for sure.

#3215067 - 10/15/19 07:20 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: btech29]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: btech29
Originally Posted By: BOBTAILS

My thoughts exactly. Last year was tough, this year is shaping up to be even worse. At first I thought it was calling pressure, but Im not seeing scat or tracks like I use to. Something is going on for sure.

Same thing for us out west, no tracks or scat anywhere we've been.

#3215101 - 10/15/19 11:05 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
Z Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Bluffdale, UT
Come on guys. Ask Al Gore. It's global warming.

#3215115 - 10/16/19 01:06 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
steve garrett Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: tx
the utah bounty has finally gotten rid of the coyotes smile

#3215146 - 10/16/19 12:23 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
Utahcaller Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: UT
Iím with Dave, I think it has more to do with the environment than anything. Drought and Fires are the big ones. It has been tough for sure but thereís still Coyotes out there. Went out west a couple weeks ago killed 8 in 4 days. Definitely not normal numbers but still a few Coyotes around. It will bounce back Iím sure. When? Who knows....

Good Hunting Chad

#3215152 - 10/16/19 01:57 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
derbyacresbob Offline

Loc: Kern County, CA
Our coyote numbers in southern California are way up. We have had three years in a row of good rainfall. More quail than I have seen in a long time and the rabbit, mice and rat numbers are way up also. Coyote scat and tracks are all over the roads.

#3215269 - 10/17/19 02:52 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: derbyacresbob]
Seebass Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob
Our coyote numbers in southern California are way up. We have had three years in a row of good rainfall. More quail than I have seen in a long time and the rabbit, mice and rat numbers are way up also. Coyote scat and tracks are all over the roads.

This is what I'm seeing here in Northern California as well. Scat is everywhere and coyotes are howling all over the place at night.

I'll be getting out regularly here in a couple of weeks.
FOXPRO Shockwave, BogPod, SpeedyYote Kickstand Vest

#3215275 - 10/17/19 03:51 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
AWS Offline

I just came back from a MC ride here in southern NM and saw coyote out in a plowed field just wandering around sniffing the world at 1:00 in the afternoon. Little does he know he is on my list for after the first of Nov.

Make mine a Minaska.

#3215684 - 10/20/19 09:09 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
ibschmidty Offline
Die Hard Member

I heard a report last night of a guy calling 9 coyotes and one bobcat in Elko county Nevada in a one day hunt. Does that change anyoneís opinion about the numbers being low?

#3215690 - 10/20/19 09:39 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

No one is suggesting there are no coyotes left. No one is suggesting there are not still pockets of coyotes in certain areas. What some are suggesting is the numbers overall are down in many areas. This suggestion comes from people who have put many hours in for many years.

#3215692 - 10/20/19 09:42 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
AWS Offline

That is possible if you hit the right spots, we found coyotes everyday while we were there. But in the ideal calling areas that we did really well in last year coyotes were nearly non-existent. Where we were calling and had multiple responses last year we had none or just singles. We camped out every night and the number of coyotes calling at night were far fewer.

A good caller that knows the country and puts in a good day I'd say that would be very possible. How many did he kill? We had four dog mornings but only killed two.

Edited by AWS (10/20/19 09:43 PM)

Make mine a Minaska.

#3215693 - 10/20/19 10:04 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
GRIZZLYONE Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: So Cal
Thought I read somewhere the feds have been laying waist to the predator population in Northern Nevada? Grizz

#3215717 - 10/21/19 08:39 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: GRIZZLYONE]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONE
Thought I read somewhere the feds have been laying waist to the predator population in Northern Nevada? Grizz

If you remember let me know where you heard that or read that, thanks!

#3215718 - 10/21/19 09:04 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: GRIZZLYONE]
Utahcaller Offline
Die Hard Member

I find that hard to believe....

#3215720 - 10/21/19 09:46 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
AWS Offline

I was told that the sheep and cattlemans associations got together and hired aerial gunners to work over the coyotes last winter on private land/leases. But that was just hearsay, I have no hard evidence to support that.

My theory is that when the rabbit population took a drastic nose dive, coyote litters were substantially smaller or didn't servive. We found coyote where there was grass and trees (mice and squirrels) and places that still had some rabbit sign in them, it was heavy sage with grass under it.

Edited by AWS (10/21/19 09:47 AM)

Make mine a Minaska.

#3215724 - 10/21/19 10:33 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: AWS]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: AWS
I was told that the sheep and cattlemans associations got together and hired aerial gunners to work over the coyotes last winter on private land/leases. But that was just hearsay, I have no hard evidence to support that.

My theory is that when the rabbit population took a drastic nose dive, coyote litters were substantially smaller or didn't servive. We found coyote where there was grass and trees (mice and squirrels) and places that still had some rabbit sign in them, it was heavy sage with grass under it.

I heard that hearsay too but I highly doubt it. I think itís the declines of rabbits coupled with drought.

#3215731 - 10/21/19 11:19 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
Utahcaller Offline
Die Hard Member

Thatís just how it works some years. Now you just have to hunt a lot harder and a lot smarter to kill your Coyotes. A Concept that is quite Foreign to a lot of the newer Predator Callers......

Edited by Utahcaller (10/21/19 11:21 AM)

#3215791 - 10/21/19 09:59 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
g Bo Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Utah
Aerial gunning is nothing new, it happens every year.

#3215800 - 10/21/19 11:09 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
crapshoot Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson,Nevada,USA
I hear the population is up in Utah due to all the locals hunting Nevada and turning the coyotes in for the bounty.
Just hear say. wink

Sorry, i couldn't help myself. tt2 lol

Average response time for a 911 call is 10 min.
Average response time for a .45acp is 900FPS.

Remember, if you're not pissing off a liberal......You are one!
Ted Nugent

#3215812 - 10/22/19 03:35 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
Utahcaller Offline
Die Hard Member

Yeah I hear that the Nevada Guys couldnít keep the Coyote numbers in check so the Utah guys had to go show them how to do it...I guess we did the job to well. But thatís just hear say.... tt2

Edited by Utahcaller (10/22/19 05:41 AM)

#3215830 - 10/22/19 08:22 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
crapshoot Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson,Nevada,USA
Touche thumbup1

Average response time for a 911 call is 10 min.
Average response time for a .45acp is 900FPS.

Remember, if you're not pissing off a liberal......You are one!
Ted Nugent

#3215837 - 10/22/19 09:20 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: g Bo]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: g Bo
Aerial gunning is nothing new, it happens every year.

confused confused confused smirk confused Exactly why I donít believe the cattlemanís association rumor

#3216113 - 10/24/19 11:49 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
TrapShooter12 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Elko, NV
My Brother went out last Friday and he didn't call anything. He said the area he was in always produced in the past.
A kid I work with went out last weekend and covered a considerable amount of Northeastern Nevada and he didn't call anything either.

I haven't had time to go out but plan on starting in another week.

Learn from other Peoples mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself.

Vote your Second Amendment and the rest of the Constitution will follow.

It's never to early to panic.

#3216115 - 10/25/19 12:46 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
reb8600 Offline
Global Moderator

Loc: Morgan, Utah
If it was the plaque, that would be a pretty severe case to wipe out as big of area as Brett says the fish and game told him. A case that big would be all over the news. I highly doubt that is the case. A few rodents and couple people in Utah had it a few years ago and it was big news. Nothing has been said about it this year other than this post.

#3216138 - 10/25/19 09:41 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
AWS Offline

I think we are talking about a different plaque that doesn't effect humans also. Periodically Prairie Dogs get a plague that will wipe out whole areas of them. The New Zealand government releases a plague to control rabbits, NO I'm not suggesting that someone released a rabbit plague. But that there are plagues other than the one carried buy rodents that effect humans (when we breath the dust from their dropping) that infect animals. You rarely hear about large die off of prairie dogs except by PD shooters never on the news.

Link to rabbit virus/plague to control rabbits.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43221704

Edited by AWS (10/25/19 09:52 AM)

Make mine a Minaska.

#3216148 - 10/25/19 10:28 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
GRIZZLYONE Online
Die Hard Member III

I'm starting to think that MAYBE in some areas the rabbit calls are no longer effective seems like howls and different bird sounds might be something to consider. Someone earlier said numbers seem to be up here in So Cal don't know about that especially on public ground. I do know that so far the hunters in my group are just now starting to see a few animals and their mostly small as if the pups came late this year and the coyotes killed so far have been called in with howls, woodpecker. Lets see how the season shapes up. Grizz

#3216199 - 10/25/19 07:30 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: GRIZZLYONE]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

I'm starting to think that MAYBE in some areas the rabbit calls are no longer effective seems like howls and different bird sounds might be something to consider. Someone earlier said numbers seem to be up here in So Cal don't know about that especially on public ground. I do know that so far the hunters in my group are just now starting to see a few animals and their mostly small as if the pups came late this year and the coyotes killed so far have been called in with howls, woodpecker. Lets see how the season shapes up. Grizz

Interesting, I haven't heard of late litters but that could explain some stuff.

#3216210 - 10/25/19 08:35 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
GRIZZLYONE Online
Die Hard Member III

Climate change you know, it's responsible for everything.

#3216217 - 10/25/19 10:07 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: GRIZZLYONE]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

That is a theory I can get on board with. I hope you are right.

#3216221 - 10/25/19 10:47 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
6724 Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: colorado
The areas I hit hard year after year are down in population too! Go figure, kill a whole pile of them and the next year there aren't that many. Who'd a thunk it!!!

#3217480 - 11/06/19 08:43 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
jarvis243 Offline

Loc: Utah
Just spent a couple days out hunting. We were in areas that have produced very well in the past. In fact last year was unreal how productive it was. 2 1/2 days off calling and only called one. There were plenty of rabbits. We seen coyote tracks just about everywhere we were. We tried all sorts of different sounds but it's like they just didn't care. We heard only one howl the whole time. It was very weird and discouraging. The plague rumor is floating around in our area but with the amount of sign we were seeing it's just didn't seem to be adding up.

#3217686 - 11/09/19 11:54 AM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
catroper Offline

Loc: Idaho Lincoln co.
Just spend yesterday calling northern Nevada north of Wells called good areas did not see a coyote did see a few tracks. No rabbits the last few years we would see hundreds in the same area coyotes tend to be a year or so behind the pray species when their numbers drop that and if parvovirus hit their pups. That could explain why the numbers are down. The trappers I have talked to are seeing the same thing.

#3217691 - 11/09/19 12:35 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
K-22hornet. Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Colorado
I was deer hunting on the Eastern Plains of Colorado last week, and I was seeing, and hearing, lots of coyotes, way more than I did in February of this year, which was the last time I was out there coyote hunting.

On Friday late afternoon, I called in a double and got both. Next morning, I am walking past my last nights stand, and there are 2 more coyotes close to where I killed the pair, and I saw 2 more within the next 1/2-1 mile walk.

This area got hit hard by mange 5-6 years ago, and I watched the mange make it's way West. It looks like it will be a very good season out there!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.