Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3214846 - 10/13/19 05:59 PM Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!!
ibschmidty Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Down wind
I've talked to a few people and recently a Game Warden for Nevada. Met her on a dirt road in Elko County, Nevada while out calling with my son. I asked her if she heard or knew anything about the coyote population in the area since we were not seeing anything in areas where I have personally done very well consistently. She told me that plague has gone through the areas and effected population in Idaho, Nevada, and Utah. I asked her about Oregon and she didn't know.
What have you guys seen? I am sure there are pockets around but by and large the numbers are down. I've not seen a rabbit since the PM hunt and the whole week we only saw two.

How are the coyote number in your area? How are the bunny numbers? Have you seen other species that may have been effected?

I'd like to know what your seeing.

#3214853 - 10/13/19 07:20 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
old cat Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: wv
What is the plague that affects coyotes & rabbits?

#3214861 - 10/13/19 08:32 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
ibschmidty Offline
Die Hard Member

I wouldnít know. Iím not a biologist.

#3214862 - 10/13/19 08:40 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: old cat]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: old cat

Drought.

- DAA

#3214877 - 10/13/19 09:39 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
AWS Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: NM
It affected the rabbits, no rabbit small or no coyote litters plus I was told that the Cattle and sheep ranchers got together last winter and aerial gunned the coyotes on the flats when there was snow. We found coyotes south of town but none in the sage flats where we did very good last year. We camped down by Jiggs and there were a couple in the hills at night but not the packs calling to each other from all directions like last year. I wrote up our week of hunting at the convention.

www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3214330#Post3214330

Edited by AWS (10/13/19 09:41 PM)

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3214878 - 10/13/19 10:01 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: DAA]
old cat Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: wv
Originally Posted By: DAA

Drought.

- DAA

Thanks DAA

#3214932 - 10/14/19 12:58 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: old cat]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Loc: In the sage
Originally Posted By: DAA

Drought.

- DAA

Thanks DAA

Whats going on with the lack of coyotes and rabbbits isn't caused by drought. We have been told by fish and game that plague went through and killed [beeep] near everything. they never said drought.

Wolves don't lose sleep, over the opinion's of sheep.

Carver Predator calls Prostaffer, Made in the USA!!
www.carverpredatorcalls.com

#3214938 - 10/14/19 02:32 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
DAA Offline
PM senior

I'm just saying what is incredibly obvious to everyone that has spent any time out there the last couple years.

I called it a year ago, as far as what bunny and coyote numbers were going to be. This year. It was impossible not to see coming.

- DAA

#3214939 - 10/14/19 02:35 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
DAA Offline
PM senior

And I was told something very, very different than "plague" by a WS ADC supervisor in Utah.

Plague killed a whole bunch of plants and animals though I guess huh? Must be a mean plague.

- DAA

#3214940 - 10/14/19 03:03 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
obaro Online
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Monument kansas
Itís my understanding that while coyotes can carry the plague, they generally are not susceptible to it. I have been involved with it helping gather samples, but am just going off what the biologists I assisted told me. They carry it, and the fleas spread it.

Edited by obaro (10/15/19 01:38 PM)

#3214946 - 10/14/19 03:53 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
i don't take much stock in what fish and wildlife biologists say. the guys that spend a lot of time in the field (hunters, fishermen, campers, hikers) know way more than f&w ever do.

but i dam sure do believe any critters than have fleas can sure help the spread of plague. just makes sense.

#3214952 - 10/14/19 05:13 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: obaro]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NW Arkansas
Originally Posted By: obaro
Itís my understanding that while coyotes can carry the plague, they generally are not susceptible to it. I have been in over it helping gather samples, but am just going off what the biologists I assisted told me. They carry it, and the fleas spread it.

What are you seeing in Kansas? Im struggling. Im not seeing sign like I use too. I swear the numbers are off there too.

#3215033 - 10/15/19 12:37 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
ibschmidty Offline
Die Hard Member

Despite what people say the cause it, itís painfully obvious that the population is down from even last years numbers. I know that coyotes, like rabbits have a multi year cycle in population numbers. Something has effected it and disrupted the cycle in this specific area. Iíd like to know if it effects other areas. What are you seeing?

#3215039 - 10/15/19 01:55 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
tawnoper Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: West coast
It's always been that way. Some years they're thick, other years not. Same ol same ol.

#3215043 - 10/15/19 02:17 PM Re: Numbers are down in Norther Nevada, South East Idaho, and Western Utah!!!! [Re: ibschmidty]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Loc: In the sage
Usually you can see the numbers dropping off each year when were headed into the " low number years " I know numbers were down last year from previous couple years but this year is a complete nose dive. Begs the question are we at the low point or something else. I'm leaning towards something else.

Wolves don't lose sleep, over the opinion's of sheep.

Carver Predator calls Prostaffer, Made in the USA!!
www.carverpredatorcalls.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.