Scope for CZ 527 222 Rem

I have a first gen 4x16 Monarch, one of the darker scopes at the top end. Has the bdc reticle which I don't like for pd, but is great for long running shots on coyote. It holds adjustments very well. More of a big game scope then a precision shooting scope.

I have a CZ527 American in .223 Rem. It's a really nice rifle and I enjoy shooting it.

Optics wise, used to wear a 3-9x36 Swarovski and was a joy to use and carry but have changed recently to a 3-12x50 Illuminate Zeiss Duralyt for low light performance and a bit more mag for the 200 yd range days.

something like Meopta 4-16x44 might be a good compromise?

Scrummy

Well, I found a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 for an unbeatable price (about what I paid for a Vari-X II 3-9x40 20 years ago), and I jumped on it. If I don’t like it, I can probably unload it for most of what I have in.

I have Leupolds in 3-9x33 EFR, 3-9x40, 3.5-10x40x, and 4-12x40 AO (and others, but those are the ones I would consider for this rifle). Last night I took them out, looked through them, etc, etc. Also, the 527 is a light, nimble rifle and I don’t want a huge scope on it. This scope is a compromise.

I’m not thrilled with AO or side focus for a versatile rifle. I think fine duplex or varmint hunter reticle would be great for day time only or prairie dog hunting, but not as good early or late. 3.5-10 is easier to look through than 4-12 Leupold, has more magnification than 3-9. Duplex is better than fine duplex in low light. Vx-3 beats Vx-2 in low light, even with a little less magnification.

Maybe 4.5-14 would be better yet, but FOV is much less and from what I hear/read there are a lot of optical compromises with those scopes. Plus, they still seem to be priced at $400 used. I got some very solid recommendations in this thread, maybe better scopes but probably more $$ and bigger/heavier. I bought a vx-3i, new inbox from private party for $265. Leupolds are relatively lightweight, I’m going to give it a try.

Thanks, guys.

Update: Tried the 3.5-10x40 for a while. Decided I want more X and finer crosshairs. Trying a VX-2 4-12x40. We’ll see how it goes

Last edited:
Back