Pulsar owners, scope on or off while hunting?

cml

Hey guys! Long time no talk
smile.gif

I know we have touched on this before but my search skills are lacking today. When hunting do you guys leave your units on through the whole hunt or just turn on once you have one coming in? How about the display off function? Do you find it saves much battery life? I currently hunt with an Armasight Zeus Pro using the extended battery pack that takes two 18560’s and leave on through my hunt and find no problems with battery life throughout the night. I just picked up a Thermion XM38 and have a feeling I am going to have to be a little more careful with my battery usage. I had planned on waiting for cold weather battery life reports to start coming in on the Thermion this season before I jumped on Pulsars new platform, but after seeing one in person I ended up throwing self control out the window. Really hope these Thermions turn out to be reliable scopes..fingers crossed!

XP50. Leave it on and in the display off mode till I have one coming in. Mainly don't want any light flashing around till I get it up or close to my face. Saves on battery also.

Last edited:
Mine gets turned on as soon as I get out of the truck and turned off while driving to the next stand. I just use the "display off" mode while scanning. Never had a battery go dead on me yet and I have hunted some pretty long, bitter cold nights.

On but with display off on XP 50 and all off in pickup when using a scanner also using the bigger extended battery and will last all night 6 to 8 sets average 1 hour per stand. When I use the scope as a scanner detached from rifle I change battery around 1/2 way through night because nothing brings more panic than a blinking battery icon when coyotes are coming in. On the older Apex 38 that uses CR123 I had to put fresh batteries in every stand. This is all based on 0 - 20 degree temperatures. Now dip below zero and at -20 CR123 is barely a 30 minute battery. The scope you are talking about though uses a different battery than the XP50 or the CR123 so can’t say for sure but guessing the run times are in the middle somewhere. Buy extra batteries IMO, have 4 sets, one installed, 3 full charged in pickup. You can rotate through the night and get a feel for it. Nothing more annoying than having to call a night short under perfect wind conditions because you’re out of batteries.

Back