Ravens: as a confidence decoy or call

Hellgate

Face it, ravens are the smartest, most aware birds out there that are very difficult to outwit. If there is a dead steer or deer the ravens are on it first and the coyotes know it. If there is a raven perched on a fencepost we all know the immediate area is clear of any human danger. I use a crudely made raven decoy that I place on the nearest tall wooden fence post near where I set up. My intent is to fool the coyote into believing that it is safe to approach. I have not called in that may coyotes to declare myself any expert but I just have to think that it helps. From my old (pre steel shot) goose hunting days we used to put out a large white swan "confidence decoy" to lure the geese into our set. I have yet to see a similar setup on anyone's video for predator calling and using a raven as a foil. I would love to have a raven vocalization call to sound out "food over here" or feeding/squabbling sounds among my armamentarium as a predator attractant.

Anybody make a realistic raven decoy? A raven call? Anybody besides me using a raven decoy? Where I hunt there aren't any crows in the wheat country and breaks of north central Orygun. Is this something old, tried, and discarded or is it something new worth trying and maybe even making and selling to us gullible predator callers that will buy most anything they think might increase their odds of outsmarting the dogs?

The last time this subject came up was 2007 so there has got to be new users or info on the subject.

Last edited:
I've had crows come in while I was calling to see what the commotion was all about. I can't say I can remember ever calling anything in when that happened necessarily but I don't see what it would hurt. I kinda like having the sound of them more than anything. If they're oblivious to what is going on or concerned (I don't speak crow) I figure that's got a coyote curious or convinced there's something dying over in that area.

Having said that I think if that were the case playing crow sounds every so often would do the same thing. I haven't tried it myself but it's worth a shot.

I think also a lot of times as humans we try to put human logic or observations onto the animals we hunt. It makes good sense to me but a coyote might hear or see a crow....or raven and think nothing of it. Which is probably more likely than thinking it's safe to come on in to the sound of food but you never know.

Last edited:
I have never had any success getting a coyote with crow decoy and or sounds. Only more crows.
I have tricked a few coyotes in using a magpie decoy and sounds. Can't find the pics and not sure if they would have come in anyway, without the decoy.

In the country I hunt I pay close attention to magpies and Ravens.. they have a symbiotic relationship with predators.. especially with the canine variety.. often I'll see a magpie come in just in advance of a coyote. I often mix in some bird sounds durings my sets.

For me, going to the confidence sounds is a sign of desperation. That said, desperation happens.

FoxPro has raven sounds. I have had a small amount of luck using just coyote vocals and raven and magpie sounds. Not a lot. But, on a few days when nothing else was working, I have killed a few coyotes using those sounds.

20140716_Wildlife-83W.jpg

My area, ravens are common and don't arouse much interest for me on stand, unless they are acting unusual. But it's pretty rare, for me, that ravens give away a coyote.

Magpies, on the other hand... I see a magpie, and especially more than one magpie, flitting in low, from sage tip to sage tip, and I'm pretty sure there is a coyote on the way too. High flying magpie, that doesn't do anything more than maybe slow down going over the caller, about like a raven, not much going on there. But the low flyers, that stop by the call, they bring good news.

2015_Cover.jpg

20170106_Wildlife-3.jpg

FoxPro has quite a few magpie sounds.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: OKRattler
I think also a lot of times as humans we try to put human logic or observations onto the animals we hunt. It makes good sense to me but a coyote might hear or see a crow....or raven and think nothing of it. Which is probably more likely than thinking it's safe to come on in to the sound of food but you never know.

Pretty much how I think as well. Sometimes it's easy to over complicate things. Do all these things help? Perhaps, but it might hinder as well when you walk around out in front of your stand spreading scent. It's like wearing full camo...probably not necessary but definitely wont hurt a thing.

Through the years I've tried lots of stuff. Portable blinds, decoys, etc. What I found was it was just more crap to pick up after every stand. After the third or forth stand most of it was left in the truck.

Usually when your in good coyote country there will be crows/ravens around. Really common to call them in. For me I always liked seeing them come winging in from way out there, let me know my sound was getting out there for the intended target.

I use the Foxpro Raven sounds quite often when I am calling coyotes and there are Ravens that I can see or close by heading for my Foxpro.

I figure that if I can make a bunch or Raven sounds and have Ravens flying around in circles squawking over my Foxpro, coyotes a half mile away can see and hear the Ravens and very well may head my way to check it out. The Ravens flying around over my Foxpro are decoys that the coyotes can see and hear from a long ways off.

I have shot quite a few coyotes within 2 to 10 minutes after playing the Raven sounds. I don't remember ever calling in a coyote while playing a Raven sound, they always showed up a little while after playing the Raven sounds.

I still watch under Ravens, hawks and eagles whenever I am calling coyotes because many times I have seen a coyote under them.

I have never used a raven decoy, but did call a coyote in once, using raven sounds.

If I see a raven, I always look for a coyote to be nearby, and often I have had ravens tip me off to an approaching coyote.

Originally Posted By: wolftrapperI have never used a raven decoy, but did call a coyote in once, using raven sounds.

If I see a raven, I always look for a coyote to be nearby, and often I have had ravens tip me off to an approaching coyote.
Yep, one of the first things I was learned from the old man who taught me how to call was to watch the crows and ravens wilst on stand. Grizz

Back