7mm Mag Bullet Recommendations

Recently picked up a Remington 700 Sendero SF II in 7mm Rem Mag that i topped with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 scope. Everything ive read seems to indicate it is a 1:9.25 twist. Does anyone have recommendations or experience with the caliber/twist. Will start loading for it very soon. Will be used for a field rifle on coyotes and deer out to 400-450 yards. Any favorite bullets/weights for this application? Anything to stay away from? So far im thinking R-P brass (cause i have a bunch), H4831 or IMR 4831 (cause i have about ten lbs) and 150 gr Nosler CT Silvertips

What you have there should work just fine. My two Remington 7 mags liked a federal mag primer, reloader 22, and any bullet from 120 to 160. Favorite was 140 nos accubond. Pick your shots to stay off the shoulder bone or it kills deer way too dead.

I am using a Hornady 162 BTHP with IMR 4831 in my Ruger. Have seen the same combo used in several guns. Shoots real good and works real good on deer and elk.

In the more traditional cup and core type bullet, the Sierra 160 SPBT is a great bullet.

The Barnes 160 grain TSX FB is a great bullet in the solid copper variety.

Both companies have lighter weight .284" bullets, but the 7MM Mag shines with these two 160 grain hunting bullets for me for most NA hunting applications. Both are reliable and accurate in a standard twist 7MM Mag rifle.

150 Grain Swift Scirocco obscenely accurate and very deadly in fact I believe this is a very underrated bullet. This three shot group out of my Sako Classic Grade 7 MM Rem Mag came in at .275 center to center. Grizz
Cb1qo1Kh.jpg

I have shot 3 white tail deer all about 125-135lb dressed 8 pointers with the 130 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip in 270. It resulted in a pass through every time all shot broadside right behind the leg. One ran 20 yards, one ran 90 yards leaving a massive blood trail, and the last one was running and dropped like he was slapped by the hand of Thor.

It's a fairly tough bullet. The exit wound was no more than 1" so it should be perfect for the 7mm Mag especially on larger deer.

My Lyman reloading manual shows 7mm Mag loads for that exact bullet for both H4831 and IMR4831 with the IMR making 75 more feet per second.

That's the same barrel I have on my Sendero 7saum, the Hornady 154 sst shoots really well. Been playing with a 15 year old Rem 700 adl in 7 rem mag, buddy had a bunch of factory Fed premium 150 gameking ammo. That rifle bone stock has been consistently sub 3" groups at 300 yards with the Federal ammo. He is going elk hunting later this month, told him gtg.

Last edited:
My Dad has used the 160 Sierra SPBT in his 7 Rem Mag since 1975. He isn't interested in trying anything else. Several other great options out there. There is something about that 160 weight bullet that really takes a whitetail down though. Good luck. Those are great rifles.

I shoot Barnes bullets exclusively out of my 7mm RUM. I have shot everything from the 110 TTSX, 120 TTSX, 140 TSX, 145 LRX and 160 TSX. All of them perform very well.

My "go to" bullet is the 145 gr LRX, which is the tipped triple shock bullet and Barne's long range bullet for the 7 mag.

For coyotes and deer I would not hesitate recommending the 110 TTSX or the 120 TTSX.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI shoot Barnes bullets exclusively out of my 7mm RUM. I have shot everything from the 110 TTSX, 120 TTSX, 140 TSX, 145 LRX and 160 TSX. All of them perform very well.

My "go to" bullet is the 145 gr LRX, which is the tipped triple shock bullet and Barne's long range bullet for the 7 mag.

For coyotes and deer I would not hesitate recommending the 110 TTSX or the 120 TTSX.

Holy cow batman, a 110 TTSX from a 7 Rum has to be launching at what, around 3600fps give or take? Doubt you'll get any runners with that combo.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:

Years ago a 7mm Remington Magnum was my go-to caliber for deer hunting. As previously mentioned, the Sierra 160 SPBT with its high ballistic coefficient is a great bullet, accounting for several deer over a period of years. I don’t shoot the 7 mag anymore but do have a Remington Sendero in 7mm STW that I have used quite a bit in Wyoming on a few trips, having several antelope and a few mule deer to its credit. The STW likes 140 gr. Barnes TSX. That is one fine flat-shooting combination for antelope and mule deer, generally resulting in drop-right-there performance.. Either of the bullets I mentioned should serve you well, but for heavier game than deer I would probably step up slightly with a little more weight in the TSX.

I have seen poor performance of the CT BT in a 280 Rem on deer, a 7 RM would be even worse...too fast for that rapidly expanding bullet.

I used 140 Game King and 160 HPBT Game King with good results. I would be tempted to try the 165 Gamechanger Tipped Game King.

Another great bullet was the 160 Nosler AB...but it is better at range than up close (as to say, less speed on impact)

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: WyoBullI shoot Barnes bullets exclusively out of my 7mm RUM. I have shot everything from the 110 TTSX, 120 TTSX, 140 TSX, 145 LRX and 160 TSX. All of them perform very well.

It is actually running 3798 fps (chronographed). It is definitely a shooter and game whacker.

Holy cow batman, a 110 TTSX from a 7 Rum has to be launching at what, around 3600fps give or take? Doubt you'll get any runners with that combo.
thumbup.gif

Zastava, I have the same rifle, brother has two.

Family and cousins have shot the 160g Sierra btsp for a long time, this bullet really performs well on large deer and hogs from any angle. Also, the Sierra 160g BTSP is easy to tune compared to a lot of the VLD bullets on the market.

We have shot several loads with this Sierra 160g BTSP

for illustration purposes of what is safe in our rifles with our lot# of powder

We shoot Remington brass in our rifles. what we got started with.
a. 65g of R#22, cci 250 or Federal 215; 3000 fps
b. 69-71g of Retumbo, federal 215 and 3100 is the accuracy node in our rifles
c. 61g of IMR 4350, Rem 9 1/2 primer
d. 68-69g of R#25, WINCHESTER MAGNUM PRIMER VERY IMPORTANT

These are close to max loads for our rifles, so approach with caution!! Multiple loads are listed because barrels will have their particular preferences.

Mack Daddy load with 150-154g bullets is with 69-73g of R#25 with a Win Mag primer, 3200 fps at the accuracy node. Less than 10 fps extreme spread. Work up to this load in your rifle. 154g SST, 150g Sierra btsp, 154g Hornady Sp, 150g Nosler combined tec bullet. Barrels do have their preferences. Seat all of these bullets real close to the lands

154g Hornady Sp
63.0g of IMR 4350, Rem 9 1/2 primer-3100 and one heck of a deer killer
Note: the 154g Hornady Sp will shoot holes through both shoulders on large hogs on broadside shots, excellent Elk bullet also.

140g Nosler accubond, 140g Barnes ttsx
65-66g of IMR 4350
Rem 9 1/2
Seat the accubond to touch the lands, jump the ttsx .050 from the lands
I have killed a lot of deer and two bull elk with this load using regular nosler ballistic tips.

120g Nosler ballistic tip
Tougher bullet than you would ever think
72-73g of R#22
CCI 250-VERY IMPORTANT
touch the lands with the bullet
Unreal accuracy
120g ttsx, same load, seated .050 off the lands
Don't be surprised if you shoot 3/8" groups or less with both of these bullets at 3500-3600 fps

We have been playing with the 175g Nosler long range accubond in Rem brass.
Seat this bullet close to the lands, did not like the jump.
62.5g of R#22 shot a single bullet hole for three shot groups, groups kept repeating
Velocity is 2850 fps
this is one of the most impressive loads I have ever shot in my 7 Mag as I have shot single bullet hole groups more than once.

Our Sendero's are all bedded and wear a Gentry muzzle break, old walker style triggers tuned at 2 lbs, and wear high power scopes.

We are going to try R#26 with 215's with the 175 as a friend is getting 3030 fps out of his sendero like ours.

Also, will try the R#23 with the 175g long range accubond as well.

We tried the 150g Long range accubond and had no luck.

If you are not shooting over 250 yards, you should look no further than the 160g Sierra BTSP. If you want a tad stouter bullet, then the 160g Sierra BTHP is tougher than the Spitzer. The 160g sierra BTSP is a notorious deer stopper, deer drop with this load on the spot, near and far.

Best of luck with that Sendero. Sendero's shoot like a $4000 rifle when bedded and trigger lightened. Gentry muzzle break makes it kick like a 243.

As you can tell, me and my family has had a love affair with the Remington 700, Browning A bolts, BAR's, with a few scattered Winchester model 70's and Savage 110's thrown in the 7 Mag.

When people start complaining about their deer running off, we tell them the 160g Sierra btsp in the 7 Mag is THE ANSWER to their problems. Federal loads the 160g Sierra BTSP for guys that do not reload.

Last edited:
R#25 is one heck of a powder for the 150-160g bullets. We have had exceptional accuracy with standard deviations as low as 3 fps.

We get tiny groups with 25, used mainly with the 154g Hornady bullets..no particular good reason.
Win mag primers shot smaller groups than federal 215's.

Retumbo with the 160 -168g bullets with 215's seemed to fill a niche at 3100.

Remington brass does not last long with the the #25 loads as the most accurate loads are at the top of the pressure curve. It is hunting loads only so we are not concerned about brass life.

Winchester brass is tougher than Remington, but most of our loads over the decades has been with Remington brass so we stick with it. Federal brass is too soft to use at pressures that the 7 mag often likes, one shot and it is done.

RWS makes some really tough 7 Mag brass available from Huntington in California. Brothers, cousins are just too cheap to buy RWS brass at $2.50 each.

A hunting partner down in the lower part of the state had a custom 7 Rem mag built with a 28" Krieger 4 groove barrel, his non trued Rem 700, factory walnut stock, on a 3B contour which is like a heavy sporter. He had the gunsmith open the action to accept the Wyatt's mag box that is .120 longer than Remington Standard magazine box. He put a Harrell's Tuner on the barrel also. He is shooting the 165g Game changers at 3200 fps with Retumbo, shooting groups so small it is hard to believe. He really enjoys shooting against those guys with Kenny Jarrett rifles.

Last edited:
Great info and looks like an excellent starting point! Im gonna toy around with a couple loads and work up as mentioned! Thank you all for the insight!

Back