Tipped SMK's...!?

I have a 500ct box coming for my 8 twist Tikka bolt action Looking forward to loading some up and hopefully put them to use on some coyotes and maybe a wolf

Buddy of mine is using the 77, and loving it! 2900ish I think is what he's getting out of a 26" barrel/VLD magazine. So far these aren't the best fur bullets I've seen with some big exits, but for long range they can't be beat for terminal ballistics from anything else at 223 velocities. So far he has a 565-yd. dog to his credit and I spotted for him using that bullet for 2 out of 3 cottontails he nailed at 700-730 yds. running all the dope for those shots on a calm morning. 3rd was taken with the 75 A-Max--6 shots total for 3 bunnies. That was impressive to see accomplished I tell you. Fun spotting and shooting.

We now have the polymer-tipped 69/77 TMK, 73/75/80 HORN. ELD'S with BC's ranging from .375 to .485. Coupled with the increased OAL capabilities of the VLD magazine it gives the 223 case somewhat more potential for LR shooting/hunting apps. for sure.

Thought I'd give an update for those interested. IMO these new bullets (69/77 TMK's) turn a longer-throated .223/5.56 AR into a better long-range varminting system. The 69 with the older VLD magazine is now my go-to system for my rig, replacing my 65 SGK load with a better downrange system overall. My buddy's 8-twist barrel uses the 77 TMK for varminting almost exclusively as well.

Working on the Hornady 73 ELD-M's now to see what the terminal ballistics variable is with them.

Anybody else using them still?

I have 1000 60gr TMK's waiting for me to try out. They are very affordable on Brownells. Especially with a discount code when they come up.

Hey ARL how's the 60 working for you? I used a fireforming load last season for it but can't remember how it performed--sorry 34 years nights is taking a toll.

I just loaded them up yesterday while my kids where napping. Going to test Benchmark and H335 out of the gate.

The rifle has by far the smallest chamber of everything i own. They need a rough over all length of 2.4 inches to touch the lands. That is quite a jump from 2.260 mag length.

That's what I really love about the old VLD magazine (if you can find one)--it allows for an OAL of 2.425" single-stacked. Supposed to go prairie dogging with a buddy's buddy next week--may take some fireforming loads with me to make some AI brass. Keep us posted please sir.

Ackman--interestingly the 22-204/75 A-Max seated to neck shoulder junction also loads perfectly in the old DPMS VLD magazine--love to try it out of an AR.

60 TMK 29 gr. Varget delivered a 3-shot group at 300 yds. at about .8" @ 3500 mv 15 fps ES 223 AI AR. I think I've found this years coyote load.

Originally Posted By: sscoyote60 TMK 29 gr. Varget delivered a 3-shot group at 300 yds. at about .8" @ 3500 mv 15 fps ES 223 AI AR. I think I've found this years coyote load.

What length & twist bbl?

Originally Posted By: ackleymanBolt guys may want to try a 22/204 with the 69TMK and 77g TMK.

I used them on a few coyotes out of my 1-8 twist 223Imp. They worked well. But so does the old 6o vmax and 55 SBT.

Originally Posted By: JohnBurns

I am a big fan of the AR. It seems unAmerican to not own them.

Like we used to say back in the 70's, "that's a big 10-4"
smile.gif

Hear, hear! Just got a 475-yarder today. Assumed he was facing me laying down. Head shot. Dope was dead-nuts on, but bullet performance wasn't tested at all on that shot.

Thks. sir! Turned out it was on my bday. Forgot it was. But it just about killed me skinning it, then having to haul it 2 miles back to the truck all in an hour and a half since wife wanted to go to colo. spgs. Get back home and she changed her mind--Jeez!!

Back