Whats is best fur friendly caliber and bullet selection?

TrappingGus

I'm looking for the best fur friendly caliber with a fur friendly bullet for bobcat with in 100 yards.
I have used 17 hmr, 17wsm w/ 20gr, .223 w/ a 55grain soft point on cats and 22-250 on coyotes. All the calibers had pros and cons. The 17hmr was a little light in my opinion but it got the job done more than once. The 17wsm did well on bobcats last year but it does not have the knock down power. I have only been able to take 1 cat with the soft point 55grain in the .223. The 22-250 seams like it would turn the pelt into a inside out glove.

What is your suggestion for BOBCATS. Im always willing to lean from others!

I've always had good luck with a .223 shooting a Hornady 52gr. BTHP,normally if it exits it's about the size of a nickel at the most. Most bobcats I've shot with that combo were within 50 yards.

I'd think the 17WSM would be a good close range cartridge as well. If you can get them within 50 yards the absolute best on fur is a 12 gauge in my opinion.

Given what you said I'd look seriously at the 17 or 22 Hornet or the 22 Magnum(WRM). I put together a CZ-455 in 22 Mag with a 1.5-6x40mm Burris scope and while I've only shot one coyote with it, it worked well with Win 40gr Jacketed HP's.

1gYQvc.jpg

Last edited:
From your list, I would use either the 17HMR or the 17 WSM, with a Vmax as the bullet. The Vmax is so frangible, exits should be minimal.

I ran into a guy and his brother that target bobcats due to pelt values. They place the caller about 30-40 yards away, and then chest shoot them, broadside, with a 22LR 40gr solid. He says they leap into the air about 5-8 feet, then run about 30-50 yards and die. Pelts are in great condition.

When I target bobcats, I use a 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum, which is slightly more powerful than a 22WMR, and the original 38gr Core-Lokt bullet. So far, pelt damage has been minimal.

If you can hit them square in the chest with a .223 it doesn't exit. A broadside shot on one with a 22-250 can be pretty nasty. From what I've seen a .223 is about the most firepower you need for bobcats.

The furthest I've had one run with my .223 was about 15 yards and the taxidermist told me it wasn't anything I did it was just a tough cat. I hit it dead center in the chest. I've only shot one with a .17hmr,dropped it but I had to shoot it 4 times. Hit one with a .22mag once and it ran a long ways (towards me) and sat down. My second shot took both of its eyeballs out. It turned it's head right as I squeezed the trigger. Both were fatal hits but the first took a little while to start kicking in. By the time it did I was sending another hollowpoint his way.

If I think I'm going to possibly call in a bobcat I'll take the .223 over any rimfire. If a coyote comes in I don't want to be undergunned. If I'm calling coyotes with the 22-250 and a cat shows up I'm going to shoot it more than likely. I know how to sew holes up or I'll just head shoot it. Fur buyers don't use the head anyway. There's ways around everything.

Last edited:
I had success with the 17WSM last year and the biggest hole was about the size of a dime. The only exit holes where from small bullet fragments. The one down side was the cats jump and run about 20 to 50 yards. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to relocate the cats, they have some of the best camo.

I'm think, I'm trying to find the magic bullet that doesn't create a hole and stops them dead in there tracks.

Thanks for all your input.

Next bird hunting trip to Kansas, I probably will purchase the bobcat license option. I will use my 17 rem, Berger 25 gr varmint. A bobcat is on my list.

I have a 17 hornet, I've shot six coyotes with it with only one runner that was never found. The fist one was a head on shot right in the chest DRT. The rest were broadside and shot twice rapid fire while spinning for the most part. They were all under 100 yrds except for the runner was about 200 yrds, and still a good placed shot with good blood but was never found.

Never shot a cat with it, even though that's the reason I wanted a hornet.I think it would be one of the better cat guns out there, just haven't had the chance to try it on one yet.

As far as coyotes, which I've had plenty of runner with 250's, the 17 hornet ones are so much nicer to skin/put up the fur. I've asked people on this forum what they think? And most say its not enough gun. But Im so torn between bloody messes and just skinning an animal that looks like it just fell over dead with out the mess.

Last year was my first full season with the 17 and I honestly left it in the truck after I quit thinking about fur, but as far as fur friendly, I've never seen anything like it, with the ability to get the job done.

I'm not here to sell you a 17 hornet, I'm still on the fence myself. But I like that little gun.

17wsm flat wrecks and drops fox, we can't shoot bobcat in Indiana so I can't speak for it on a bobcat. Coons and fox I can't think of a better round.

Originally Posted By: Rhett Steele17wsm flat wrecks and drops fox, we can't shoot bobcat in Indiana so I can't speak for it on a bobcat. Coons and fox I can't think of a better round.
17 hornet, you can reload them...

From what I've been seeing on the 17's in general, using a good penetrating bullet is paramount. Are you using the Vmax factory rounds or reloads with Vmax's?? They are quick expanding bullets that dont always penetrate as well as they should. The Hornady 25 grain hollow point was working well for guys, but has been discontinued by Hornady now - why is my question, why, why, why???!!! And it still wasnt buggering up fox or cats too bad. Another option in factory loads that seems to have some success is the Hornady NTX load - example: http://www.varminter.com/17-hornady-hornet-ntx-lead-free-ammo-review-with-bobcat-hunt/

just thoughts.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullOriginally Posted By: martOriginally Posted By: Petey17 Remington with 25grhp.

Excellent advice.

2nd this ^^^

I'll third it.

My old 17 Mach IV with a 25gr Berger match HP was easily the most fur friendly cartridge I had. Been thinking of building another since I still have a few thousand of the Bergers and Hornadys. Or maybe a 17-222.

Back